Sign in to follow this  
Dogballs

TV is back for your E46, E39, E38...

Hi People,

If you thought your old TV tuner is obsolete, dont throw it away just yet!

I have just modded my unit with the tuner adaptor card mod from this Site: Link

Straight forward mod really, the most "difficult" part was to solder 1x wire internally - not too tricky at all! (also depends on your current tuner type.. (see site))

there is plenty of info on the site regarding the mod and the types of units are best etc..

the tuner has a usb input so you can play video files etc and PVR function also.

it works well with the steering wheel controls, and the ibus adaptor has integrated the std monitor buttons to do all the required tuner functions, which takes a bit to get your head around but once its set, you dont have to play with much apart from the channel up / down... 

the definition isn't exactly perfect but its stepped down to basic old RGB 7 inch screen stuff so dont expect too much... see attached  

works ok at speed, but suffers as any TV tuner would going in and out of good coverage.. depends on your location of course..

Any Questions, just ask..

IMG_2862.JPG

• Like 7

Great project. Probably the cleanest picture you can get TV wise. Did you go to the trouble of adding the ir receiver ? 

30 minutes ago, Neal said:

Great project. Probably the cleanest picture you can get TV wise. Did you go to the trouble of adding the ir receiver ? 

the attached picture looks worse than it really is.. there are no lines etc that it looks like there is.. its just that effect you get when you take a picture of a tv screen !, so yeah its perfectly watchable!

as for the IR receiver: no I didn't do that. - I couldnt see the point of having a remote control for something at your finger tips.. but if you where to use the USB/PVR function a lot it would probably be worth it to make it easier, as the way they have made the existing buttons work different features in different ways takes a bit of getting used too...

I think in reality, once you've set it up, all you'll be doing is changing channels up and down.. ?!?!

Looks like the media player will play most formats . Almost worth plumbing via aux input for USB audio libary duties .

Had seen those units. Looks like a good option. I like the integration aspect

Its useless to me because i dont have anything with a tuner in it atm, i just wanted to post up and say thanks for doing the research and sharing it on here. This sort of thing is what the forum should be about.

Thanks!

• Like 3