Sign in to follow this  
3pedals

What did you do to your SAAB today

Nothing - its 99%  fixed, doesn't drink or spew oil any more  and goes quite well

Needs a pixel fix at some stage for $40.00

Might fit Koni rear shocks also just for completeness.

Replaced a split heater hose - lucky I have an E36 to run around and buy parts . Due for an oil change in 2,000 km  so its definitely a reliable car for its age again.

that's a result, Ron.  It's been an interesting journey from your acquisition of the mobility cart, to where it is today.  And notably, still in your fleet!

It is a good result and as a consequence it will stay in the fleet and become a general run around and driver training hack for our three teenagers that way I should get a reasonable return on investment.

Now - what can I take on as a project ???

Lowered it on Saab Aero springs - nice improvement 

Found it an O.E  TD04 hairdryer for more top end blow 

found my next project - an early low k's Peugeot 306 

• Like 1

I had a 306, absolutely loved it. Superb on shingle, hilarious in the wet and very involving in the dry. A very rewarding car to steer quickly and it commanded smooth inputs. Only thing that was not to like was the interior being worse than an e36, but I would own another in a heart beat. 

Please post pics! 

It's in getting a warrant after putting a fresh battery in it , been in a shed for 4-5 years but regularly started until about a year ago . Currently has an 1800 single cam  which will stay in it for about a year or so while I do the real project which is a total refresh of the E36-328 with lightweight flywheel, new clutch , new cams and few other bits I have made or accumulated and a fresh paint job. 

Will do 306 pix when the 4 years of crud is off it - I think it is red-ish? metallic

Options for the 306 when it gets it's turn are: engine transplant or hot cam, fabricated extractors  and some decent breathing on the original motor , I quite like the two valve high lift big overlap option on the original motor. It already has fully worked suspension with Koni shocks in it  

- Yes it's a 5 speed manual 3 door hatch  

306stage3.jpg

Edited by 3pedals

Very cool. Mine was a manual 3 door also, cheap and cheerful 

why has this thread not been deleted yet ?

• Like 1

Friends had a 306 XSi back in the UK around 98-2000.  It was a reasonable drive, though cost an arm and a leg to run, with the customary bits constantly falling off it and dealer prices being unreasonable for the french Ford.  The 306 (in all it's guises) was not particularly comfortable (particularly rear seat passengers), not particularly reliable, not particularly fast, and ultimately just not as good as (even) the 309GTi was!

People seemed to like them (306), though.  An older e36 was a significantly better car, whatever way you look at it.  Durability, safety, comfort.

I Think the French built special UK versions either that or the english just like to whine about their cars - the 306 S16  , then the XSi and the Gti6 all out handled and out performed the volkswagen golf GTi's  of the day ; which was the benchmark hot hatch of the day. 

Known issues with the 306 are average interior trim and the rear axle which is a work of art except when you throw salt laden grit and garbage into it and don't maintain it. Europe doesn't salt their roads only the brits do.

XU series engines are bomb- proof with reasonable maintenance and come in cooking 76kW varieties right through to 125kW 

306 is regarded as a better handling car than the 307 & 309   and safety rating is actually higher than an E36 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

The English may indeed whine about their French cars; my mates suffering Peugeot "quality" were expat Kiwis.

Yes, the Golf III was lardy. Golf IV uninspiring.  Though as you say, the Golf is always the benchmark.  The 306 was a hoot for throwing through curves, just un-exciting and tinny for a 3 hour trip across country.  I'll take the e36 thanks.

PS:  I'd spent 2.5 years running a Golf II GTi 16V, a couple of years before UK stint.  This was better than the 306XSi in almost all areas, IME.

Edited by Olaf

The best thing about the 306 is the massive oversteer when the bushes wear in the rear end, no other FWD I have driven could be steered on the throttle like that and held in slides so nicely 

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

The English may indeed whine about their French cars; my mates suffering Peugeot "quality" were expat Kiwis.

The 306 was a hoot for throwing through curves, just un-exciting and tinny for a 3 hour trip across country.  I'll take the e36 thanks.

PS:  I'd spent 2.5 years running a Golf II GTi 16V, a couple of years before UK stint.  This was better than the 306XSi in almost all areas, IME.

But they were in England right ? so they could have had a UK edition and/or  they could have picked up the local culture ( just teasing) 

Living on the end of 14k of curvy road colours every car buying process towards the curve tossing rating but that said a 10 minute blast is all it is followed by a short commute - for medium twisty  hauls the E36 is the preferred option, motorway cruising the Saab, intercity / interisland road trips the diesel X5 

• Haha 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, 3pedals said:

I Think the French built special UK versions either that or the english just like to whine about their cars - the 306 S16  , then the XSi and the Gti6 all out handled and out performed the volkswagen golf GTi's  of the day ; which was the benchmark hot hatch of the day. 

Known issues with the 306 are average interior trim and the rear axle which is a work of art except when you throw salt laden grit and garbage into it and don't maintain it. Europe doesn't salt their roads only the brits do.

XU series engines are bomb- proof with reasonable maintenance and come in cooking 76kW varieties right through to 125kW 

The 306 was actually built in Coventry, by Peugeot in the old Talbot / Rootes Group factory, last time I checked that is in the UK, not France. There were some local badges and stickers local editions, but even the French and Euro versions were poor inside. Yes, better then the VW Golf of the time, but whilst the Golf was still the "benchmark" to compare against it was a loooong way from being the best hot-hatch by this stage, as was the 306 in any guise XSi was far too lacking in power, GTI-6 was just a gimmicky 6-speed box with all the wrong ratios in, S16 was the best of the bunch.

General fit and finish are a problem for the 306, gave up trying to stop the squeaks and rattles in mine and fitted a much louder stereo instead. Electrics were usually possessed by some kind of demons, and not particularly well insulated from wated ingress to add to the fun.

Uk doesnt "salt" it's roads either, they use grit, which can contain an element of rock salt.

Diesels were lovely and torquey, best of the early injection pump variety but not really a patch on the later common rail generations.

• Like 1

There you go !!  a comment in jest and it's true- the brits did get a special edition: built by themselves  for them,  with all the faults common to british built cars , poor fit, crap electrics, squeaks and rattles. Luckily the 306 was also built elsewhere which is probably why it has a great reputation (Elsewhere).  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 3pedals said:

There you go !!  a comment in jest and it's true- the brits did get a special edition: built by themselves  for them,  with all the faults common to british built cars , poor fit, crap electrics, squeaks and rattles. Luckily the 306 was also built elsewhere which is probably why it has a great reputation (Elsewhere).  

They're not clever enough to engineer in the poor fit, crap electrics, squeaks and rattles.  That's all part of the French Ford parentage.

Edit:  a quick skim of TradeMe for 306 for sale revealed this gem: "Sold on an end of life basis for my sanity".  Says it all, really.

Edited by Olaf
TradeMe quote

22 hours ago, 3pedals said:

You're not refering to the nightmare the French decided to build as a 306 are you, i think my brain had blanked that monstrosity from my memory, even the Peugeot engineers in Paris used to refer to it in less than flattering terms.

306.png

edited

Edited by 3pedals

Love your irony, very good.

thats really lowering the tone - A frontwheel drive peoplemoving slushmerc. At least the 306 loosely resembles a fun car 

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

thats really lowering the tone - A frontwheel drive peoplemoving slushmerc. At least the 306 loosely resembles a fun car 

lowering the tone?  In case you missed the advert:

This car is one of the safest you can buy, because it'll be sitting at the roadside or in the workshop being repaired, so you'll never get it up to a fast enough speed to have a crash. 

Forget Mercedes marketing puffery about their amazing build quality - make no mistake about it, this car is rubbish. It has gearbox faults beyond your wildest nightmares, with a clutch system made of pastrami. Even making it out of Lego would have been more robust. This engine is not "bullet-proof" (actually, for the right buyer I'd even consider throwing in a free pack of bullets just so you can test this for yourself). 

This particular car crapped its K2 clutch plate at barely 100,000km of driving. It;s been "fixed" but still goes into a FAULT mode occasionally, meaning you have to pull over, turn the engine off and back on again and away you go. It's drivable (or, at least, it was the last time we drove it) once the battery is recharged. All that said, the body appears to be in pretty good nick and the interior is good.  

Great fuel economy - one tank of petrol can last 5 years. 

There's probably more value in its component bits - tyres, wheels, battery, spare tyre etc. 

We couldn't decide between torching it or driving it somewhere and hoping it would be stolen, so this car has sat unused for the past 5 years. But we've finally made a decision and the time has come for someone else to hate it. There is nothing reluctant about this sale. No tears will flow. Our neighbours will probably throw a party to celebrate its removal.

• Haha 1