Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

4L30 to 5L40 or similar upgrade

Hi guys

I have a Z3 with a 4speed auto in it and the M52B20TU engine in it. The engine is a sweet runner with only 95km on it so happy to leave it there for the time being.  I am looking at options for some useful upgrades and want to know if upgrading the old 4 speed to the newer 5 speed auto is doable. Is the gearbox a straight bolt on? Whats involved with the electronics?  Is there anything else I should know about here?  I am aware that a manual g/box would be a better way to go but I would like to explore all options before I start and I have always been impressed with these 5 speed autos in any E46 I have driven.  Any advice here would be great. Many thanks.

fullsizeoutput_1b85.jpeg

Edited by ducatiss

Hi Brent

Whenever I'm researching a change, I use RealOEM to sort through the part numbers of the different models of car.

You can put your VIN number in and get the part numbers specific to your car, then select, say, a 2.2 L Z3 and check out the drive shaft, mounting cross member and electronic module part numbers etc.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?product=P&archive=1&series=Z3&body=Roa&model=Z3+2.0&market=EUR&prod=20000400&engine=M52&steering=R

I suspect that the mechanical part will be easy, maybe having to change the front section of drive shaft.  The electronics will likely require a bit of coding.

Also check out the LVV modification rules to see if this is a modification that needs to be certified.  Probably is if you have to change part of the drive shaft, then you'll need to add drive shaft hoops for both sections.  Remember to talk to the modification certifier before you do any work. A little guidance at the beginning can avoid problems later on.

• Like 1