Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

2007 E70 X5 4.8 - Brake disc size?

Hey team, 

I'm looking to bring in some brake parts on the slow boat at some point and keep them for when I need to change things over. I notice the E70 has two different brakes. US models got the 348mm discs and corresponding pads whereas other markets got the larger 365mm ones. 

Short of taking the wheels off and physically measuring is there any way to tell? The 365mm's can be had out of the UK and the smaller ones out of the US. 

Thanks in advance.  

Surely it's not that hard to take a front wheel off. Or find out which market it was speced for as you mention 348 US China, 365 Euro, UK. Also the rears are smaller again.

It is, I have no tools due to having run flats. It's a Japan spec one. Outside of US got a mix, which is where my confusion lies. 

You can look your vehicle up on one of the websites like realoem.com. By entering your VIN number you can see specific parts used on your vehicle.

However, I have to ask - if you don't have the tools to determine the rotor size is changing brake parts something you will be doing yourself, or will you supply them to someone else?

52 minutes ago, turbolizard said:

You can look your vehicle up on one of the websites like realoem.com. By entering your VIN number you can see specific parts used on your vehicle.

However, I have to ask - if you don't have the tools to determine the rotor size is changing brake parts something you will be doing yourself, or will you supply them to someone else?

I did that, and I actually did it again just now in case I was missing something. I seem to get a result for both sizes of discs: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE82-EUR-04-2007-E70-BMW-X5_48i&diagId=34_0976 or am I not reading this correctly? 

I don't tend to work on my cars myself, however I have access to freight forwarding services which I use to bring in things and stockpile for my mechanic. For example I try to buy up oil, air and cabin filters and the like. 

Looks like a Hong Kong import to me, no Japanese parts listed on that page. What are the last 7 characters of your VIN?

It's definitely out of Japan given that I had to get the ETC system disabled, the GPS converted and it has the Japan spec licence plate holders.

My last seven digits are: LC96860 

Interesting. Yep, you're using realoem correctly, not sure why it's throwing up China only options.

Either find a 17mm socket and whip a wheel off or jack the car up and measure the disk with the wheel on or guestimate from the outside with a tape measure, 20 odd mm should be reasonably easy to determine.

Well, for what it's worth I just finished chatting online with customer support on a website out of the UK who ran my VIN and determined that they should be the smaller 348mm ones. However I'd like that confirmed by another source. 

I think you're right, I can get in there and see with a tape measure to guestimate and see how close they are. 

Edited by NZ BMW

When it was in for a service he then measure it, 348mm. Good to know for sure, now to think about what to order... Amazon were doing a reasonable deal on OEM pads recently...