Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

E87 130i M sport questions

Morning everyone,

Thinking of picking up a 130i M sport as a daily.  I have seen a few on trademe for the 18k-20k mark with 50,000kms on the clock.  

Reliable cars? And fun to drive?

Any issues to look out for ?

Cheers.

Had this thought myself for a little while. test drove a few. Didnt feel much superior to my 325i E91 in terms of power but handling was good overall and pretty good chassis as long as its proper msport. Biggest let down is the runflat tyres and also now the fact that they are getting fairly old and still demanding a relatively high price tag (imo) for what it is. You could pick up a E90 330i for 5k+ less than the cost of an E87.

Decided against it unless I was willing to go for a manual 130i otherwise better bang for buck would easily be a 135i/335i seeing as the prices are dropping like crazy now.

Cheers Kyu.  Might just try to get a 135i or a E92 335i then. 

decide for yourself. as a daily, 130 would be better but it just wasnt as amazing as i had hoped. especially when the price difference isnt much for a more fun sportier car (that will cost u heaps in maintenance :D)

• Like 1

fwiw i thought  my little 120d(manual) was a great little car,really nice steering and brakes.and the handling was fine even on the std suspension and run flats.May be the upperlimit is not that of an m sport or non runflat tyres,but this is the road we are talking about.If you are thinking about one at least drive a couple of nice ones.They are a snall car though,fine for front sseat (i am 190 cm) a litle cramped in the back(hatchback)

Cheers Paul, I might just do that.  I have to get an auto, so other family members can drive it as well.  The compact factor was a big plus for ease of parking and zooming around in traffic. 

you need a mazda if you wana zoom zoom zoom

Actually, I did look at those.  The SP23 2007 hatchback.  But they are around the 17-18k mark for the low k ones.  So it made more sense to get a 130i instead.  

So, I took a 130i for a test drive.  Absolutely loved it.  The compactness, the solid and planted feel on the road and the noise from the gorgeous 3.0L straight six.  That engine really sings.  

• Like 2

It's a really good little car.  I bought one for my wife over two years ago now and she really enjoys it.  

It feels good, handles well, has good performance and sound.  It's a more sensible car than the R32 in my opinion.  I think the overall quality of the car isn't amazing, but it is pretty solid for the money.

Done 40,000k on in it now and it's up to 67km.  Only issue we have had is the DSC pump failing which is over $3000 for the part alone.  However Burger Motorworks managed to remove the unit, get it sent for repair and then refitted for $800.

Edited by GorGasm

i have a msport  6 speed manual one. i paid about half that close to 10k. and drove it down from auckland. Have owned it a year now and have only had to replace the rear window reg. This car has done 175,000kms. so quite high for the age. she runs like a dream and still feels as tight as a new one (yes i have driven a lot of them)  it has started to produce a wee leak from the rocker cover but other than these very minor issues (window reg was only $90) the car has been awesome. So at the kms mine has done with no issues and being a jap import i'd say yes they are relatively reliable. 

What ever you go for get a mechanical warranty. You may have to do the electrical water pump and thermostat at 80-120k which will come to the same price as a warranty plus it gives you pice of mind motoring :)

• Like 1

Cheers for all the replies.  Unfortunately, I found another compact car that might dethrone the 130i from my list.  Yep, a Mini Cooper S.  It's a 2013 with N18 engine and done 22000kms which is suppose to be more reliable than earlier ones.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 2:15 PM, Contrails said:

So, I took a 130i for a test drive.  Absolutely loved it.  The compactness, the solid and planted feel on the road and the noise from the gorgeous 3.0L straight six.  That engine really sings.  

Hey there,

first timer so be gentle....took an 130i Msport for a spin today, auto box, paddle shift is neat. Engine is glorious after my wife's Peugeot (car would be for her to drive) ride was not as harsh as I expected. Feels tight as a drum and has 103K on the clock. Boot is a little small, interior is great, real metal detailing rather than silver plastic. Steering feels great, why don't more manufacturers  make steering wheels that feel this good? Massive dumb reason to buy a car by a huge smile maker. Hoping she will say yes....

its her money after all before anyone says "just buy it" 

Edited by trj1965
  • Like 1

Buy two.

Ive put 70k on mine, 220k on clock, and I do 1000km a week. Still drives tight, suspension bushes a lil squeeky (soon to be fixed), still on the original clutch, engine might as well have 10k on it. All ive done is routine servicing. It has zero oil leaks, many stone chips :D

130s are the ducks nuts, easily the best car Ive ever owned as a daily toy.  

• Like 1

I bought one from Wellington just under a month ago and drove it back up to Auckland. They are awesome cars and I use mine as a daily. Plenty of power when you want it and nice and comfortable and quiet when you don't.

• Like 2