Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Manfield - BMWRDS Live Blog (sort of)

Hi all

Thought I'd post and give some updates on the action from the perspective of B class.

We had the car all ready on the Monday before leaving, luckily a quick dyno check showed it had the exact same HP and fuelling - so no tweaks required. A decent 230rwhp - not bad for an M20!

My car after 5 years had some teething issues. We noticed the rear end of the car was bent the night before leaving.  A quick stop into Mosen got us a straight RR trailing arm and later in the day we jammed it into the car. 

Luckily - the next day it was as sweet as an old ass E30 can be!

The Friday testing saw various bits fall off :D 

Driving on slicks for the first time felt awesome, and the new brakes were sweet also. Mid-way in to thinking how badass it was, the steering jammed in higgins causing a small brown patch on the race suit.

A quick investigation from David Lawrence revealed the bloody engine had fallen off it's mounts and jammed the steering! Of course engine mounts were procured in a matter of minutes and fitted ready to jump in to another test session. 

This time, the seat (which happened to be missing a bolt) bent and nearly fell out. The thread was f**ked and required re-tapping to sort that. 

Final tests of the day saw a good 30 minutes on track. No spectacular times but plenty of much needed driving practise.

Friday night was the usual antics of trying to hand feed Gavin Bellars chips.

Saturday morning. Mint weather - practise and qualifying were mint. I did a 1:19.442. Not great considering I've gone a few seconds quicker on dots and with sh*t brakes. But some learning to do.

The new time based open series rules mean there are a bunch of cars all doing very similar lap times. There are 6 cars from 1:18:500 to 1:19:883, should be a mint race!

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Yeah i had those same yellow Ireland engineering mounts, i believe construction wise they are made out of custard covered in candle wax.

How did you finish up?

Ok so live blog went slower. 

I went well. Each race getting a second quicker. Came second in the handicap which was rad. Car is feeling awesome. Time to add in a bit more HP. 

In car from open handicap race. Not a great cam angle as we taped in the go pro. 

Glad to see you're still using the laid back / she'll be right attitude to racing Andy.

I'm hoping to get my sh*t together for Taupo in November so can watch your antics from up close, always good for entertainment.

Good to see you back out there.  And the best track for racing and antics.  No 540 towing E30 convoy though.