Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

2006 B5 Alpina Supercharged... 37K

Do all of them have the boring gearbox?

Have only had a look at one in the past (obviously not many around) but didn't get to look inside it - had hoped they'd be SMG or DCT.

IIRC Alpina has tweaked the trans, and given it button shift on the wheel. Only came in auto though, no twin clutch.

According to a quick google,

One innovation is the ZF six-speed Sport-Switch-Tronic transmission. The switching time could be reduced by 50% compared to the predecessor. The response time is 1/10 s. In manual mode, the driving feeling is comparable to the shift dynamics of a dual clutch transmission.

https://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina_B5&prev=search

• Like 1

Seriously considered this instead of the S8, very similar to a S6 really in performance and kit if not exclusivity.

Obviously RWD over 4WD. It's exclusiveness and power output looked good but it's a LOT over a 550i as a base comparison. And while similarly quick to an M5 certainly a different car and Alpina are more GT tourer then racer. Which suits us

ultmately for us the financial cost difference was to much to justify.

6 hours ago, Kopua Cowboy said:

Are they prone to failing?

Mixed reviews on them, felt to me like it was all a bit custom and if you had a bad one .....

Martin did enough research to make it sound like a less than desriable car unless you like big repair bills.

Strikes me as a boring package when you could have a V10 M5 for the same or less money! 

IMO from what i read, the M5 and B5 are two different beasts, for two different purposes. I imagine the B5 would be easier to live with on a daily basis, not having the SMG trans to deal with.

2 hours ago, KwS said:

IMO from what i read, the M5 and B5 are two different beasts, for two different purposes. I imagine the B5 would be easier to live with on a daily basis, not having the SMG trans to deal with.

There's also over 200nm or torque with the B5. Engine is based on the N62 motor, which is a bit of a lemon.

"The B5 is powered 4.4litre V8 engine, charged by a mechanically-driven radial compressor
The powertrain of the B5 immediately impresses through its torque curve, taking on the form of a massive table mountain. At a mere 1,000rpm, just above idle, the V8 puts out 300 Newton metres of torque. Between 4,250rpm and 5,250, there’s a constant 700 Nm of twist on tap"

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/alpina/2005-alpina-b5-ar3866.amp.html

Doesn't it sound like fun though??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EURO V8 said:

"The B5 is powered 4.4litre V8 engine, charged by a mechanically-driven radial compressor
The powertrain of the B5 immediately impresses through its torque curve, taking on the form of a massive table mountain. At a mere 1,000rpm, just above idle, the V8 puts out 300 Newton metres of torque. Between 4,250rpm and 5,250, there’s a constant 700 Nm of twist on tap"

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/alpina/2005-alpina-b5-ar3866.amp.html

Doesn't it sound like fun though??

If you still have access to a run way ;-)

45 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

If you still have access to a run way ;-)

In theory yes... since I've been released from service they couldn't send me to SCE anymore (Military Prison) as a result...

If I had 40K burning a hole in my pocket probably be be cheaper and more fun to swap my E36 318IS for an E36 M3, whack a supercharger on that, and use the money left to Supercharge my V8 landcruiser

Edited by EURO V8

And given its rarity I'd be pretty sure that you couldn't put a mainstream MBI plan on it .... so no way of offsetting the risk ...

Love to drive - not so sure about owning :) Call me chicken.

16 hours ago, austingtir said:

I have no idea why anyone would consider one of these over a w211 e55 or e63 amg considering they are way cheaper than that and will destroy it in pretty much every way other than rarity and the possibility of an even rarer manual transmission.

Don't think either of those AMG's would destroy the B5. Maybe be a car length or 2 in a standing km race but that's about it.

Edit: Well the B5 actually had a few car lengths in this race against the Supercharged e55

And then a cls63 bi turbo in this race beats the B5.

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 1

Youre on the wrong forum to try and preach the advantages of the AMG. The Alpina is a special car; a limited edition, top spec super rare executive car. The E55 is a mass produced, super common status symbol with lots of power, a good noise, and not much else going for it.

I'd hazard a guess that except for parts like the supercharger, the ownership costs of the Alpina will be much lower than the AMG tax on the E55. Not to mention the horrible unreliability of the AMG.

Edited by KwS

It is a neat car, probably more for the enthusiast who likes a more interesting and obscure cars. Certainly something special for someone who wants a unique and well known car among those who know BMWs. 

Personally, I would go for the M5 or an AMG. Just because I'd want something which I could be sure of getting parts and service easily. 

Yes, but a normal E55 isnt special like a Brabus/Kleemann tuned model....

Its apples and oranges, as Nathan said, the buyer of an Alpina B5 is buying it because its special and its rare.

Edited by KwS