Sign in to follow this  
KiwiTT

BMW E90 323i M-Sport possible purchase

I am considering joining the BMW camp.  My days of having a really fast car are now behind so I am looking at the quality competent car and as I have always wanted a BMW as many of you probably did also.

I have been looking at this car

http://www.buyrightcars.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/2008-bmw-323i-motorsport-34759

ac0156c63797495bd64c75c4fc0f4fe8.3.jpg?t[/img]

I am attracted to it because it does not have the 'iDrive' and it seems a good looking car.  I suspect it may have the M-sport suspension upgrades as well.  While 325i, 330i and 335i might have more power they all do seem to have iDrive.  I am keen to avoid iDrive to minimise long-term (10+ years) issues.

My next car does not need to have a lot of power that the other 3 series cars have.  This model 2008+ seems to have around 149kW - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E90)#Petrol

This is about 3/4 of what I have in my 1996 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type S (which I will miss greatly), but it has done well over 200,000km and is feeling its age despite lost of tender loving care and expenses ($10,000+).  I partly choose it because it looked a bit like a BMW in the rear quarter.

I am looking to spend $15-20k on my next car and am thinking a BMW is now the way to go.

Edited by KiwiTT

Nice wagon, but just not sure if a wagon does it for me.  I prefer sedans, more 'executive' looking.

Took the 323i for a good test drive - Panmure - Mission Bay - Parnell - Greenlane - Royal Oak - Hillsborough - Blockhouse Bay (Parents Place - they said nice car) - New Windsor - Onehunga - Mt Wellington - Panmure. A good mix of city and motorway driving. Wow - you could really feel the quality and solid feel of a BMW 3 series. However, analysis on the actual VIN no. showed that despite being registered in 2008 it was actually a 2007 manufacture and therefore had the lower spec 2.5 L motor. So I will pass on this car. But nevertheless, I think I will concentrate my evaluation on 3 series options over the next few of weeks and probably have a nice BMW before Xmas.

Best you ring me tomorrow rather than emailing me and asking me to write a book. Happy to help but we are very busy

Regards Glenn

• Like 1

"Very Busy" - Is that good news or bad news for prospective BMW owners.

1) You are very good at what you do?

or

2) BMWs break down a lot and need lots  servicing?

I am about to spend upwards of $20-$30k so I just want to be sure.

Edited by KiwiTT

^ Glenn is good and most modern BMW's require a lot of servicing.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know he is good.  Hence why I emailed him.

I am not shy about servicing but more shy of expensive repairs

20-30K? You could probably get a 325i LCI (2008+) for that money, though most are fitted with iDrive (the newer CIC version with a better interface and maps)... I wouldn't be concerned about iDrive, it's not particularly prone to having issues (we have 3 vehicles in the family with it, without issue, likewise a few friends too - though I'm not at a service centre to see what vehicles are coming back for), especially the HDD CIC based ones and the maps are still being updated, unlike older CCC based versions. If you really don't want it you should be able to find a pre-LCI 325i without it quite easily. The 330i and 335i almost always have it fitted as you've noted.

Just get a mechanical warranty for the first 3 years and anything particularly ugly should rear it's head (at the very least it will repay most of itself when the electric water pump dies at 80-100ks)

Edited by jonoe30
  • Like 1

After Monday's test drive, I am now more inclined to get the 330i or even the 335i. 

Thanks for your feedback on the iDrive.  Good news.

Any BMW, especially a 335i will have expensive issues at some point, iDrive is the least of you worries. Only get them if that doesn't scare you, they're wonderful cars but you need to be prepared for the costs. About 3-4k if turbos fail I believe. 

330i is a great choice, no turbo but still good power and one of the most reliable BMWs. 

I am looking at getting a 4 year warranty.  The 330i does seems to have a better engine soundtrack too!

Done the deal on the BMW 330i pending a satisfactory mechanical check by Botany Motor Worx - NZ iDrive upgrade and 4 year warranty and trade of my old VR4. Should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

• Like 2

suprised that buyright has agreed to trade in a mitsi vr4. how much did u have to add on top?

If you still have time - when they change the CCC unit to accept the NZ maps see if they can change the MiniDisc player to CD - I had this done an no additional cost on my brother's E91 as they had a spare unit out of a later model E90 with a CD drive. Also make sure they don't forget to retain the coding for haptic feedback on the controller (the forgot on his and I took it back)... this feature means that the control wheel has a 'notchy' feel as you scroll through the menu and stops moving when it reaches the end of the menu items... It's more of a nifty feature, but it's kind of handy when you're driving and it wasn't fitted to the newer units.

I have asked the dealer to look into this.

I am thinking of getting an 'M' badge if/when I get the 330i M-Sport, to put near the 330i badge.

I was thinking of making it M330i , but now it is more correct to call it a 330iM, as it is not really a 'M" division car.

They generally put the ///M in front of the numbers when designating motorsport editions in the past but this was a dealer, not factory, option. For example ///M 328i but 328is was also used. 

If I were adding a ///M badge (I probably wouldn't) I'd put it first for sure. 

• Like 1

I think I might leave it off too! ... Thinking about it more ... keep it as original as possible ... more of an elegant gentleman's executive car.

Took the 330i to Glenn's place for PPI - a great guy btw.

Looks like it has suffered some minor damage paint work.  So cosmetically there is a issues with that, but could be considered wear and tear.  More importantly there are some others issues that need addressing before I go ahead.

- An extra key - only one

- belt tensioner

- transmission leak and service

- coolant needs replacing

- RH number plate light broken

- CD changer tray missing.

- battery is original

Dealer is going to see if he can approval for these things to be repaired.

I also mentioned I would like to take it back to Glenn to see that they have carried out these repairs well.

It is a 10 year old car so some wear and tear is expected.  But the other things that need repairing are considered existing issues that need repairing before Autosure will cover it.

Sounds like a typical low grade import from these so called "professional" import dealerships. I would definitely rather buy a NZ New example from a private owner than go thru the hassle of getting a grade 2.5 or 3 import that needs to get repairs done (probably at the cheapest possible workshop with the cheapest possible parts).

Good thing you got the PPI done, otherwise it sound have cost you heaps to repair all the things in that list.

• Like 3

Dealer has agreed to do all the repairs and also have Glenn give it another once over.

• Like 1

What is the best fuel injector cleaner to use that Glenn has recommended I do for the first 3-4 petrol fills (with Mobil 98).