Sign in to follow this  
cjb

Throttle hiccup/hesitiation at low speed

Hi,

I recently bought a 2006 330i. Nz new 55ks. Full service history at Jerrys.

I've only been driving it about a month and it's started to hiccup/hesitate occasionally at low speed. It seems to happen when I've come off the accelerator then back on it. For example I could be driving towards a corner at 30kms/h, button off to roll around it then back on the accelerator. When it happens it kind of jerks a bit for about half a second then off it goes again. It also happens when I'm accelerating from a stand still. I haven't noticed the issue on the open road. I would also say its becoming more frequent - perhaps 10-20% of the time.

I've just spent the last couple of hours researching it. Seems the most likely cause is the vanos solenoids and/or MAF sensor.

Has anyone else experienced/solved this?

Cheers
Callum

You need to scan it first to determine if fault codes are present. What fuel are you using ? octane and brand ?

Definitely needs a scan. Have seen eccentric shaft wear on these engines of late. 

16 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

You need to scan it first to determine if fault codes are present. What fuel are you using ? octane and brand ?

Hi Glen.

I thought the problem I was describing was a relatively common one? seems to be quite a few cases of it out there. But not so obvious to fix?

95/98 depending on where I fill up. No brand loyalty - should I have? I don't fill at Gull but only because they not on my daily route. I guess mostly shell 95 on constellation drv.

Just yesterday I was looking into getting the INPA software and a cable - what are you thoughts on that? Sounds a bit fiddly but I'm in IT so the setup doesn't particularly phase me. Although I'd probably prefer a scanner tool so I don't have to piss about - from what I've read I want a BMW specific one. I found this on trademe.. but am a little concerned about the quality. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1197372071

Btw You helped me out once before when my e36 key went flat and I needed to re-sync it. As it happens I still have that e36 and not long ago both keys went flat so now neither of them work - I assume there's no way to resync them once that's happened? (I'm not overly worried - would just make it easier to sell)

Thanks!

OK finally got a cable and installed INPA so can now read the error codes.

I cleared the fault codes, went for a drive around the block and read them just after when the acceleration hesitation occurred. Here are 4 sets of fault codes - all cleared before the next run. The first file is the existing error codes ie. before I cleared them and went for a drive.

I have of course googled these but its not obvious to me what the actual issue is.. ?

INPA-PrintFile - na_fs.pdf

INPA-PrintFile - na_fs_2.pdf

INPA-PrintFile - na_fs_3.pdf

INPA-PrintFile - na_fs_4.pdf

I have a similar problem, when going around corners - Particularly roundabouts.

I'll go to accelerate out of the roundabout, and for about 1-1.5 secs, nothing.  Then the car will go back to normal on the straights, its like the car cant find the right gear.  It only seems to occur within the first 5 minutes of driving, wont happen again once the car is warm, and occurs every so often.

This is my first auto (only ever driven manuals) so I'm not sure if it's just a characteristic of how bmw's are setup?  I've got a 2005 330i.

1 hour ago, digginz said:

I have a similar problem, when going around corners - Particularly roundabouts.

I'll go to accelerate out of the roundabout, and for about 1-1.5 secs, nothing.  Then the car will go back to normal on the straights, its like the car cant find the right gear.  It only seems to occur within the first 5 minutes of driving, wont happen again once the car is warm, and occurs every so often.

This is my first auto (only ever driven manuals) so I'm not sure if it's just a characteristic of how bmw's are setup?  I've got a 2005 330i.

Yep most frequently after a round about. Mine only happens once warm. And does not happen at all in sport mode. It has got worse, the hesitation is at least 1-2 secs, I usually flick it into sport to recover.

1 hour ago, mattone74 said:

Dodgy map sensor?

Would that cause the described symptoms? 

On 11/11/2016 at 9:59 AM, *Glenn* said:

Give me a call Callum

Hi Glenn,

Do those codes jump out at you as being anything obvious?

Cheers Callum

8 hours ago, cjb said:

Hi Glenn,

Do those codes jump out at you as being anything obvious?

Cheers Callum

No... Our scanners give word and sentence form fault codes. Can do the coolant change and a scan if your interested

• Like 1

The problem has finally been fixed - by cleaning the vanos solenoids.

I recently took the car to Steve at Milford Auto Electrical - who by the way is excellent to deal with. He said in my case there were no codes that related to the solenoids but other codes did steer him towards the solenoids - although I suspect what really happened is he chucked in a couple of working solenoids to confirm it was the problem because when he called mine were already in the sonic cleaner and he was quite confident that cleaning the solenoids would fix the problem.

Either way.. if you have a problem like this I suggest you first clean the vanos solenoids. It's cheap to get them cleaned and they are easy to get in and out.

For what its worth I replaced the coils, plugs and maf sensor before taking it to Milford Auto electrical.

Cheers
Callum

• Like 1

Interesting, my 330 does this as well, its like it refuses to kick down once in a while and tries to acclerate in a dumb gear. 

Hasnt dont it since it had an oil change which might explain a few things, and has never thrown an fault code on the scanner.