Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Cheap M2

Oh wow. Bummer.

Hmm, wonder what M2 bits would make for a nice upgrade on a 335i? Someone will part this out I imagine.

Edited by Matth5

14kms on the speedo lols

Not sure how to read the dash - could be as low as ~5k kms?

Wonder why it has been written off? Airbags and bonnet didn't even fire. If that's the state of news cars, not economical to repair, after apparently moderate impacts then wow.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:47 PM, M3AN said:

Not sure how to read the dash - could be as low as ~5k kms?

Wonder why it has been written off? Airbags and bonnet didn't even fire. If that's the state of news cars, not economical to repair, after apparently moderate impacts then wow.

Car has just over 5,000kms on it. The 14kms was taken from the last warrant, when it was registered.

Like all cars that are written off, it's due to the amount of damage and the cost to repair. As you would expect Manheim have tidied up the car and photographed it very carefully to give the impression it is a car worth buying. Anyone who is seriously interested in buying it would be sensible enough to check the car out rather than look at the photos and realise what is required in terms of the repairs to get it back on the road.

Not sure about the parting out, most of the valuable parts are M2 specific and as for putting them in something else... Will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

I accept and agree with what you're saying Jon but the impact can't have been that great if none of the airbags or the bonnet bolts fired right? Surely not enough to dismount the engine or bend a rail?

My guess is that it's suffered some damage underneath that would need pulling, drilling, welding etc etc.

It would fully buff out in Russia though..

Wow. That's a dude that has the tools and knows his trade. That would be as straight as any custom or hot rod out there.

But no. Just no.

22 hours ago, M3AN said:

I accept and agree with what you're saying Jon but the impact can't have been that great if none of the airbags or the bonnet bolts fired right? Surely not enough to dismount the engine or bend a rail?

As you probably know the airbags, etc. are all tiggered by accellerometers, or "g sensors" which if you have a big frontal will set off the bags. In this case it was more a bounce off and skid along the top of something type of impact that didn't have the big decelleration, hence the bags didn't go off.

It was certainly a strange one, and not where you would expect to get an impact, but the damage underneath from the skidding along the top was definately structural!

I wonder what it went for in the end, was over what I was prepared to pay, so someone out there is brave...

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

What was cringe worthy, was that the photos show that the idiots just happily chucked the under tray and goodness knows what else into the brand new interior. No respect. 

both rails , bent a little top the right .

I say I swung around and got tapped across the left side of the nose and wheel hit the curb ,

bending the left lower control arm .

bonnet damaged left corner

rhs headlight ok

lhs not

lhs guard some creases

cracked sump . engine belt off , damage to ac pump pulley

went for over 37k 

add I reckon 20-30k in parts and labour , paint , reg costs etc

So in another words a slightly bent M2 with demo kms on it can be had for 60 - 70k. Seems like a good deal, but re-sale would be tough with it's repair history.

18 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

I say I swung around and got tapped across the left side of the nose and wheel hit the curb ,

add I reckon 20-30k in parts and labour , paint , reg costs etc

Close, but not quite.

And you missed quite a bit of the damage from your list.

Wholesale on parts alone is $35k and I doub't you'd find any second hand as they are mostly M2 specific.

You would have to keep it for a while for people to forget about it being damaged and re-reged, although that shouldn't really matter if the repair is done properly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Close, but not quite.

Will you elaborate or do you enjoy being evasive? Are your insights somehow top secret?

• Like 1

Just enjoying a good game of "hotter colder" with all the guesses.

• Like 2

I'm not guessing but I'd like to know the facts(ish).

The main issue is the damge underneath the car, to the sub-frame and suspension in the front.

As Brent correctly said, the back end went out and the nose grazed the concrete dividing wall between the carriageways, but when the wheel hit the kerb it launched the car up onto the top of the wall so it slid along the top of the wall with the front wheels either side.

I'll see if I can find the photos of the damage before they stripped it down.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The main issue is the damge underneath the car, to the sub-frame and suspension in the front.

As Brent correctly said, the back end went out and the nose grazed the concrete dividing wall between the carriageways, but when the wheel hit the kerb it launched the car up onto the top of the wall so it slid along the top of the wall with the front wheels either side.

I'll see if I can find the photos of the damage before they stripped it down.

awesome ,rear tyres were quite worn for 5000km :) was it wet when they crashed ?

seen someone on facebook saying its going to be stripped out and would be good for a targa car.

6 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

awesome ,rear tyres were quite worn for 5000km :) was it wet when they crashed ?

Car had spent a lot of time at Hampton Downs, and test drives, so it was well used.

Traction control still works with worn tyres, even when wet..?

Targa cars still need a WoF and rego to compete, so would require full engineers report and approved repair process.

Spanner (13mm), hammer and the BMW special tool (M version) is all that's needed. 

I could probably sort it in a weekend. But I am pretty ace. 

• Like 1