Sign in to follow this  
mossline

Mechanical warranties for privately sold cars?

Hi people, im trying to get some information around buying a mechanical warranty for a car that i intend to buy privately? Ive emailed Motor Plus and they said their warranties can only be bought through a dealership when buying a car from said dealership. 

Does anyone know if there are companies who will sell a policy to a private purchaser?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mossline
wrong company

MTF Mt Victoria can supply Vero (same as Autosure - they underwrite Autosure) on privately sold vehicles. I did this for my X5 purchased via TradeMe. Jono Jono.White at mtf.co.nz. Gold info attached - Platinum also available at a bit higher cost with greater coverage but more stringent requirements around age/kms. Vero are fantastic to deal with. I have a Platinum (Autosure Extreme) on my 545i.

MBI Gold rates sheet.pdf

MBI covered parts.pdf

AA will do them as well - but they are much tighter on what they'll cover in terms of vehicles - and require thorough mechanical inspection beforehand.

Autosure is the best IMO. You can buy them privately through a broker. Have a look on their site; I purchased one through Bluefin finance (or something similar). Actually cheaper than buying through the dealer.

I did the same thing with a previous car. Found a broker on their website and did it that way, the broker actually had to check if they offered that product which I found a bit amusing.