Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

E60 - moisture in rear left seat bolster space

Just wondering if anybody has hit this before. Noticed after stormy crap weather that the left rear seatbelt was damp - tilted rear seat, popped bolster off and found dampness on the wheel arch (near the wiring). Left it to dry out - inside the garage!

Looking at my rear windscreen/window, looks like the rubber seal is pretty poked - perished, splitting and it looks like some little chunks have come out so guessing the window needs to come out and a fresh seal installed.

Yet another plastic/rubber failure!!!! Oh well .... appreciate any advice/experience with this.

The joys of E60 ownership. Probably not related, but my E61 tail-light seal (between the coloured lense and black plastic) perished and let water into the boot area under the battery. Also got into the electrics causing a dead ship, couldn't even unlock the steering to straighten the wheels. $400 later...

To be fair the car was a massive 8 years old.

All I can advise is check the cavities either side of the boot also. 

Any water in the rear passenger rear wells? Do you have a sunroof? if so blocked drain hoses could be a culprit. They run inside the roof cavity down the c-pillar to an outlet into the rear wheel arch/bumper (which is plastic). A common and notorious problem and a very bad design IMO :-(

Thanks guys. I'm not sure whether to be annoyed or relieved that all my BMW problems (other than 1 ignition coil) have been plastic and rubber related and not mechanical.

Treone - no water in the footwells - I only picked this up from sorting the seatbelt for my youngest and feeling it was damp. Have asked Driscolls to check the sunroof drains.

22 hours ago, treone said:

Do you have a sunroof? if so blocked drain hoses could be a culprit. They run inside the roof cavity down the c-pillar to an outlet into the rear wheel arch/bumper (which is plastic). A common and notorious problem and a very bad design IMO :-(

Hey @treone - you were bang on the money - Driscoll checked the drains and yes they were clogged. Sorted! They also found the (probable) cause of the coolant loss - cracked expansion tank. Being replaced Monday.

More (freakin) plastic failure!!!! I've had so much stuff sorted on this I need to keep it ... here's the previous stuff sorted during 1yr ownership and with 4 Autosure claims:

• engine oil seal
  • radio recoded for NZ
  • repl water pump, pulley, drivebelt
  • repl thermostat
  • repl 2 broken cupholders, worn trim
  • fix driver seat back trim
  • idrive replacement
  • repl washer motor
  • sort gearbox oil leak and rear coolant plate
  • repl 1 ignition coil and 8 plugs
  • repl swaybar links

Great to hear the water ingress was identified and sorted quickly. Believe me you dodged a bullet on that one! Hopefully you can now just drive and enjoy (for a few months at least ;))

• Like 1