Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

Where to get bulk BMW parts?

Currently part way through prepping an M52 to go into my E30. I need bulk misc parts to get everything mint. For example metal impeller waterpump, valve cover gasket, sump gasket, thermostat, metal thermostat housing, spark plugs, oil filter,  valve cover rubber mount and random gaskets. Also had tacked on E30 trunk seal, rear emblem and grommets. 

I was look at "partsgeek.com" & "autohausaz.com" and the shopping cart came to be pretty cheap (~$250USD). But shipping ends up being $200USD, making it not worth while. 

What would be the rough price if I were to source these items in NZ? Is there a website you guys like to use? 

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Cammsport
Tags

schmiedmann.com

Fast and cost effective shipping, superb customer service. Split packages so they're less than NZ$400 including shipping to avoid the GST.

• Like 2

Thanks heaps for your reply M3AN! Will be sure to check them out. I wonder if youshop does cheaper shipping? 

Just now, Cammsport said:

I wonder if youshop does cheaper shipping? 

No chance.

And Schmiedmann have perfectly reasonable shipping, not really much point in shopping around.

• Like 1

Schmeidmann are in Denmark 

• Like 1

Pelican Parts can sometimes be cheaper.

Check with local supplier - forum sponsors, MillAnd, etc - too.

Yes Schmeidmann are good on shipping price and speed. Website perhaps not as good as Pelican but shipping cheaper. Ordered on Thursday - had it Tuesday the next week incl GST payment as it was expensive front underbody shields...

37 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Yes Schmeidmann are good on shipping price and speed. Website perhaps not as good as Pelican but shipping cheaper. Ordered on Thursday - had it Tuesday the next week incl GST payment as it was expensive front underbody shields...

How did you get the GST payment sorted so quickly?
It took NZPost 4 days to send me a letter saying that something had arrived and fees were due, but they forgot to calculate how much so I couldn't pay online. I spent 30 minutes on the phone to NZ Customs in Tauranga (who were very helpful) and then it took NZPost another 3 days to get the parcel out for delivery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gjm said:

It took NZPost 4 days to send me a letter saying that something had arrived and fees were due, but they forgot to calculate how much so I couldn't pay online. I spent 30 minutes on the phone to NZ Customs in Tauranga (who were very helpful) and then it took NZPost another 3 days to get the parcel out for delivery.

Honestly they are f**king hopeless. i usually ring them once the tracking shows its waiting for customs clearance.

I dont mind paying the gst, but having to wait an extra two weeks is unacceptable 

• Like 3

If you haven't already ordered, have a look at fcpeuro.com pricing... their shipping is cheaper than Pelican Parts and if you use their UPS option (which I think is the cheapest anyway) UPS NZ rings you when the package arrives and you can pay GST over the phone with a credit card... Avoids the above issues with NZ Post which is appallingly slow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, polley said:

Honestly they are f**king hopeless. i usually ring them once the tracking shows its waiting for customs clearance.

I dont mind paying the gst, but having to wait an extra two weeks is unacceptable 

Entirely agreed. The two weeks is a ridiculous amount of time, especially when the seller/sender has used an 'express' method to ship.
Having found a helpful contact in Customs (he stayed late to sort paperwork for me), I'll liaise with him to see if there is a way to expedite this sort of thing and avoid future delays. I'm keen not to hassle him or waste his time though.

Just now, jonoe30 said:

If you haven't already ordered, have a look at fcpeuro.com pricing... their shipping is cheaper than Pelican Parts and if you use their UPS option (which I think is the cheapest anyway) UPS NZ rings you when the package arrives and you can pay GST over the phone with a credit card... Avoids the above issues with NZ Post which is appallingly slow.

Hopefully NZ UPS is better than UK UPS! They made NZPost look like a shining beacon of efficiency!

An advantage of using Pelican Parts is that they offer aftermarket and tuning parts as well as OEM quality parts. (I've not checked FCP or Schmiedmann to see if the same is true there.) PP are useful for me as I can order Merc and BMW parts in one shipment.

FCP offers both OEM and aftermarket too and usually has most parts in their own warehouse... Pelican does have the better customer service of the two and can be slightly cheaper for the OEM options. Also Pelican are great when it comes to 'dealer only' parts in that they will order even the most obscure parts out of German for you if you're prepared to wait (I've even managed to get some NLA parts from them), but it looks like the OP is ordering common items anyway. I haven't had any experience with Schmiedmann.

Had a parcel from Pelican a while back the freight cost on that was around $60.00 NZ. It contained a sump gasket, two engine mounts, couple of breathe hoses,air filter, oil filter and a couple of other items. When i opened the carton was surprised at the amount of waste space. When I asked about this was informed that the cost was determined by the weight only not the carton size which i was very surprised about. Maybe something to check on with the company you deal with. 

I've had pretty good luck with Pelican Parts, autohausaz and YouShop.  Just make sure your orders are broken down to be under 60 dollars owing in duties to avoid paying duties.  I believe that ends up being around 225ish usd per shipment.  You can use this before you order to verify http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/whats-my-duty

• Like 1

I have used FCPEuro a number of times and found them to be very fast and well priced- shipped to NZ in under 4 days- then wait another 4 days for NZ Post to sort their 5h1t out and get it to my door.

@gjm- they also do Merc parts, which may make them worth checking out for you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kopua Cowboy said:

I have used FCPEuro a number of times and found them to be very fast and well priced- shipped to NZ in under 4 days- then wait another 4 days for NZ Post to sort their 5h1t out and get it to my door.

@gjm- they also do Merc parts, which may make them worth checking out for you.

Just placed an order with FCP for an ignition kit for the 500SE - Bosch dizzy cap, rotor arm, and plugs, and some other leads. US$268 including shipping. Should sneak through under the $60 of charges threshold.

1 hour ago, Massnz said:

Normally use a combination of Pelican Parts and Milland depending on price.  Both a great in my experience. 

Agreed.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:05 PM, gjm said:

The Schmeidmann stuff came via DHL, kept NZ post out of it.

I have recently been purchasing from ECS Tuning. On my last order compared with Pelican parts they had better pricing and shipping.

2 hours ago, BMRBOI said:

I have recently been purchasing from ECS Tuning. On my last order compared with Pelican parts they had better pricing and shipping.

Wow, that doesn't happen very often! ECS are good but typically more expensive.

I used to price compare across Schmiedmann, Pelican, FCP and ECS and quite quickly dropped ECS from the equation. I eventually also dropped Pelican and FCP because Schmiedmann were reliably the least expensive across a range of goods. Having said that not every item Schmiedmann offers is the least expensive and if I'm looking at expensive items or larger orders I still cross check against FCP and occasionally Pelican.

I have no complaints with the service from any of these vendors so price is the bottom line for me although DHL straight to my door with no delays is a bonus worth considering (shipping out of the US is often hit and miss in my experience).

Also, for the benefit of the OP - you did ask about "bulk" and if you had asked about "individual" items then Milland BMW and Euro Italian are local companies that should be considered. I've purchased from both and was suitably impressed.

Just now, M3AN said:

Also, for the benefit of the OP - you did ask about "bulk" and if you had asked about "individual" items then Milland BMW and Euro Italian are local companies that should be considered. I've purchased from both and was suitably impressed.

Typically, this (too).

Bear in mind also the benefits of shopping locally for the support you get, and the ability to pick up the phone and speak to someone without having to calculate which of many time zones you're calling.

Stoked with the replies I've received. I could spend days mixing and matching parts from different suppliers. For the parts I'm looking at, Pelican ends up being the cheapest. Parts are listed below. Also if you recommend any other parts for tidying up a M52, give me a heads up. 

Thermostat + gasket

Thermostat housing + gasket

Sump gasket

Magnetic sump plug + gasket

Oil level sensor gasket

Valve cover gasket

Waterpump + gasket

Filter housing to block gasket

Dipstick o-ring 

Cosmetic cover rubber mounts

Oil filter

Rear seal w/o spring

Rear coolant flange + gasket 

Rear crank housing seal

E46 windshield cowl

E30 trunk seal

Pelican + shipping $338.74usd

FCP + shipping $391.13usd

Schmeidmann + shipping $387.19

Thanks again for your advice, saved me a lot of money and time. 

Just now, Cammsport said:

E46 windshield cowl

Don't be an idiot like me and order a LHD one... :-/

• Like 1