Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

Where to get bulk BMW parts?

You are better to split your order into 2 so you dont pay gst, duties, and get it delayed at customs.

Make sure both orders are under $400 nzd including shipping to avoid this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cammsport said:

Also if you recommend any other parts for tidying up a M52, give me a heads up. 

Oil filter housing gasket. If you change this you will want to buy new crush washers for the vanos line as well.

If your M52 has disa, check it, and replace if faulty.

Also check pcv and replace if faulty. The hoses to the pcv are plastic and brittle and get clogged with oil, so worth replacing if replacing the pcv. A faulty pcv left alone will give you more oil leaks on other parts of the engine.

The intake rubber boot (13541705209) often splits and is worth replacing if its worn. While you are in there, and have the disa valve out for testing, clean the throttle body and icv. I replaced the other rubber boot too for piece of mind.

Clean maf.

Replace the fuel filter if its original. Also replace the tiny bits of rubber fuel hose on it which you can just buy locally.

Spark plugs with NGK BKR6EQUP.

Air filter if needed.

Cabin filter if needed - I recommend the carbon ones.

Check coil pack boots are not cracked or damaged and replace boots if faulty.

Replace rubber grommets in rocker cover bolts if compressed or worn. The rubber becomes compressed and no amount of tightening will seal the rocker cover properly.

Replace radiator bleed screw if damaged or worn. There is a aftermarket brass version which is much better than the crappy plastic one.

All I can think of for now.

On 11/28/2016 at 9:05 PM, gjm said:

Just placed an order with FCP for an ignition kit for the 500SE - Bosch dizzy cap, rotor arm, and plugs, and some other leads. US$268 including shipping. Should sneak through under the $60 of charges threshold.

And today it has arrived. One week from order to delivery - very good service.

Package finally turned up. Bit of drama initially with Pelican. Long story short, security steps that are required with payment added a week and a half onto the delay. Another delay for stock to arrive from their suppliers (paint repair kit + thermostat). Order placed 07Dec16 arrived 06Jan16. Wasn't in too much of a rush, so not bothered. 

Thanks again for your help and saving me from some costly mistakes! 

20170106_164606-1152x864.jpg

How much was your total order?

$338USD incl. $80 shipping. 

Most expensive item being the Dr. ColorChip Squirt n Squigee Kit @ $65USD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cammsport said:

$338USD incl. $80 shipping. 

Most expensive item being the Dr. ColorChip Squirt n Squigee Kit @ $65USD.

So you got stung by customs for customs fees and gst?

Did customs cause some of the delay?

42 minutes ago, zero said:

So you got stung by customs for customs fees and gst?

Did customs cause some of the delay?

Close, but not quite. By the looks of the tracking it only had 1-2 days at customs max. 

Screenshot_20170107-005923.jpg

You didn't add freight in the box at the bottom ;)

Would have just put you over the threshold - they obviously were in the Christmas mood still :D

Oh God damn! So they charge duty on freight? Bloody stupid. 

So I'll expect a bill in the mail? Or would you normally have to pay the bill prior to receiving the package? 

17 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

Oh God damn! So they charge duty on freight? Bloody stupid. 

So I'll expect a bill in the mail? Or would you normally have to pay the bill prior to receiving the package? 

No, duty is never charged on freight costs. I presume the delay you were talking about earlier was a manual verification process (something like send us a photo of your CC and Photo ID) because it was your first order from Pelican?

29 minutes ago, jonoe30 said:

No, duty is never charged on freight costs. I presume the delay you were talking about earlier was a manual verification process (something like send us a photo of your CC and Photo ID) because it was your first order from Pelican?

they will charge GST on Freight, though.

The good thing is, it's all rules-based and you can read all about it on the NZ Customs websit

I've used Pelican, my experience was that they fall a long way short of FCP Euro on service.  

10 minutes ago, Olaf said:

they will charge GST on Freight, though.

I hadn't noticed this, but read the link you attached and they sure do! Though it appears they won't try and collect it unless the value of the goods themselves exceed the threshold (so the OP is safe in this case)

In saying that, it's a matrix of rules they apply... If you tick enough boxes, then bingo you get a bill! Hadn't seen the what's my duty app so will use this in future to take the guess work out :)

Duty is different to GST too. No duty on car parts. Rough guideline is NZ$400 inc freight and you get a bill.

Pretty rare that they are released before the GST is paid. I've not had it happen, but I've heard of it happening.

I've got 3 parcels coming - one is a brand new, very rare VW ECU for NZ$1400 (and a used one, I found a week AFTER ordering the new one for NZ$150!!!), and the NZ$800 clutch/DMF for the E39 - I hope they skip GST on the expensive ones :D Even if they don't, they were way cheaper and I couldn't even get a price for the ECU from the dealers in NZ.

As others have mentioned should your order exceed the NZ $400 limit then break the order down. That is if the freight cost for the other parcel is less than the GST going to be charged on the first order. Have used Pelican now for the last eight odd years parcels have taken no more than 5 to 8 days to arrive. This will depend also on what you order and were it has to come from if item in stock then all good but if not and has to come from a bmw supplier then add a couple of days to that . Have found the best time to order has  been a Thursday night NZ and the order is on your door step by Tuesday also for me have found the USPS track system seems to stop when the item hits NZ customs. Best of luck

Yes, USPS and UPS all fine to the NZ Border, and then basically all bets are off. UPS call centre in NZ very helpful, though... and freight is handled after the border by Fliway (wearing UPS badges).  Service good, just can't see (from tracking) where it is once it's at the border.

DHL very good though it depends on your ultimate address whether it remains with DHL or handed off to NZ Post (Courier Post) where it all becomes a lot more average and significantly chaotic.   Can be as fast as 3 days from the East coast of USA to Wellington business address (press "send" on Saturday morning NZ time, received in wellington Monday arvo).

FedEx is the absolute best service to NZ in my experience.  FedEx have bent over backwards to get me a parcel when they were a day late and I was headed down south, employing good old customer service skills and calling me to update, redirecting my package through NZ Couriers to my hotel in Invercargill at no cost.  Their explanation: "you paid for the best, sir".  When I have a choice, I use FedEx.  Also as fast as 3 days, average 4.  Best tracking updates.

Some good info in here!

Agree FCP Euro is my choice as well. That said buying out of england can be cheaper again if they remove the VAT and Parcelforce are cheaper by a mile than US freight companies.

Edited by Herbmiester

i made an order from ECS for $2500US of stuff, an order like that they should be eating from the palm of your hand. but no, they had shocking service, absolute run around to get any money to them, 4 or 5 phone calls to the US and ended up having to go in to ASB to do a wire transfer, then the parcel arrived a month or so later, parts hanging out of the cardboard. etc.

anyway being the kind caring gentleman i am (LOL) i decided to give them another chance and have used them again. I made an order on the 27th December and as of this morning hasn't even been picked up from their warehouse but is supposedly packed ready to go. will i get it before February? March? they must have phenomenal service inside the USA because some how they have managed to stay in business.

I ordered the clutch kit (with DMF! Heavy!) off ebay, from a german supplier last friday evening.

It's sitting at NZ Customs right now, while I wait for a call  5 days later B)

The ECU I ordered from the USA, and paid the SAME SHIPPING COST!!! as the clutch/flywheel, is at customs today too... but it was ordered nearly 3 weeks ago.

28 KG of brakes from Ireland cost NZ$29-95 (Micks garage) and took 6 days IIRC.

If I can avoid shipping from the US, I do - it's often crap/expensive/slow.