Sign in to follow this  
zero

Brake advice for a e46 v8

So I'm slowly assembling parts for my e46 v8 project.

I've acquired front and rear 330i brakes and calipers;

Fronts are 325mm x 25mm with a 57mm diameter single piston caliper.

Rears are 320mm x 22m with a 42mm diameter single piston caliper. 

My plan is to use them, along with braided brake hoses and performance street pads.

My question is, will that brake package be enough for an e46 wagon with a 300 odd hp m62b44 in it?

Will I fail the certing process on account of brakes not being big enough?

The car will just be used for the street, with maybe the odd track day every now and then. I'm not a fast driver.

Any advice appreciated. 

Given the size is comparable to that used in the E39 V8's (albeit a little thinner) which are a couple of hunderd KG's heavier, they will be fine for the certification process - provided you don't use the worst pads money could buy.

• Like 1

If that wont pass a cert i am definetly not going to pass with the v8 in a smaller body again. I am using e46 325i front discs and caliper (300mm) with ebc red pads, e30 stock rear calipers with ebc red pads, stainless lines and racing brake fluid. 

you would hope the setup you have is big enough.

• Like 1

I've gone overkill. :)  Or plan to, at least.

E46 M3 front brakes and E46 325i rear.

In an E30.

• Like 1

I Have a 330ci and with good pads and rotors the car stops very well indeed. Bigger brakes than on a V8 commodore pre 2005 or sam year Falcon so can't see a problem. 

• Like 1

The primary reason for bigger brakes is the supposed increase in weight.

When I put the Lexus V8 into my old E36 the cert guy said the stock brakes (285mm) were fine but I had put M3 ones just because M3 brakes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

The primary reason for bigger brakes is the supposed increase in weight.

When I put the Lexus V8 into my old E36 the cert guy said the stock brakes (285mm) were fine but I had put M3 ones just because M3 brakes. 

What was the rough weight increase with the lexus v8?

And what was the rough horsepower?

Thanks

It was about 20kg lighter than the outgoing M50B25 haha.

250hp crank hp with that. 

I just had a look at the LVV threshold spec. Found this relevant quote 

The performance that a braking system in a low volume vehicle must achieve is:

(a) in the case of a modified production low volume vehicle which has attained an increase in engine power output from the original vehicle manufacturer’s specifications of between 20% and 50%, or have any modifications to the service brake system, or have any modifications which result in a change in or relocation of weight or centre of gravity:

(i) 3 consecutive cycles from 100 kph to standstill each at an average deceleration of not less than 0.65g; and 

(ii) within a total time of 2 minutes from the start of the first cycle to the completion of the third cycle;

If you're using a M62B44 - the official figure for their output is 282hp 

So you need to see what the percentage increase is from a stock E46 your fitting it to, if its a 318i N42 they're 141hp so thats a 100% increase in power. 

They might require a significant brake upgrade, I however believe 330i brakes are perfectly suited, especially if you run quality discs and pads / fluid etc. For the weight of the car I can't see why you'd need bigger ones unless it was a track toy. 

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

In my VW Kombi, I doubled my power from 62KW to 125KW, on standard brakes.

The brake test is fairly crude, really. If they work OK standard, they probably pass the LVV tests.

• Like 1

I failed my cert test for the E30 with my standard brakes, as one of the hoses was bulging.
Replaced all the lines, and probably would have been fine with just that, but ended up putting Hawk HPS pads in also.

I would imagine you will be fine with 330i brakes and calipers providing you have some half decent pads. (And your hoses are fine)

Are the backing plates/dust sheilds required for a road car?

Im seriously considering removing them but wont if i will fail a cert or wof.