Sign in to follow this  
gaijin

BMW 1M Clone

I've built this 135i into a 1M over the winter in my driveway.

It has BMW factory 1M steel panels all bought new frpm BMW NZ. Changed out panels and rear guards using BMW factory repair methods, using BMW rivets and special rivet machine and epoxy. Runs all the right M3 parts, subframes, big d. shafts and LSD diff but has plenty of upgrades too. Basically take the entire 1M parts list and buy them and swap them to the 135i. I haven't worried about inside so much.

Full bolt ons, 9" intercooler, intakes, catless, 3" exhaust, RB Next Gen turbos, cold and hot side intake pipes upgraded and modified, MHD E85 flash, JB4 G5 Iso, making around 650hp with meth and running E30. Stage 2 LPFP. I't runs 27lb boost. Meth installed over the xmas break and controlled via the JB4.

KW V3 coilovers, vorshlag top camber castor plates. AP Radi-Cal brake kit all round. H&R sway bars, adjustable endlinks, Harder subframe bushes and most rubber parts changed out for Urethanes. 245/35/19, 295/30/19s. Manual 6spd. Upgraded clutch & plate from 550i. Carbon CSL boot lid.

I've done all the work apart from the panel and paint in my driveway, head torch on my head, in the rain, frequently at night. Been a long slog, but worth it. Daily driver.

According to BMW NZ this is NZ's first 1M clone. The way I treat cars and drive them, I couldn't/wouldn't modify a real 1M, nor could I afford one.

20161130_164629.jpg

Edited by gaijin
  • Like 14

Martin bring it to the coffee meet tomorrow 

Edited by sweetm3

wheres that?

you should come along EVERYONE would love to see this beast you have build. What a car good job man hope to see you tomorrow. :) 

Thats awesome. Initially i was thinking "hell, with all this effort why not just buy a real 1M?".... but your last line sums it up, you just made the car you want, how you want, instead of modifying a rarity (and likely decreasing the value of the 1M in the process).

Nice to meet you this morning Martin, love the car

Sorry for stealing the seats from under you ? not.

Appreciate the kind comments everyone.

The day I bought the car, on a whim, with my son March 2015.

Im happy to field queries on the build likewise for the tuning aspects using JB4 and MHD alongside ethanol tuning. Had experience with Cobb Accessport earlier on too. Done heaps of heavy maintenance works on the car also, clutch, DIY stage 2 LPFP build, HPFP replacement, coding injectors, waterpump/thermo, intercoolers install, turbos, downpipes, cold'n'hot side turbo pipework including the turbo outlet stainless pipe modification, tuning the boost PID control, duty bias, PID Gain and FF on the JB4, data logging, suspension tuning & setup, required total 1M/M3 parts lists if anyone is game, driveshaft dimensions and parts required, m3 steering rack conversion, complete interior strip and re-fit

Works planned for the next few months:

Methanol kit installed controlled via JB4, starting evening of 23/12, the day I finish work

Better exhaust system, maybe some Titanium goodness

10" & 11" Work Meister rims custom made with 265 & chubby 305 rear tires

Further tuning to max out RB Next Gen turbos on ethanol E30 and methanol injection, around 25lb boost. Aiming for 550 wheel hp, circa 650 flywheel. I'll even get the car dyno'd, always good to have proof right.

Likely move to a Port injection set-up and running higher E content, circa E60, including ethanol sensor integration to JB4

Suspension tuning inc. monoball front tension arm bearings

Stealing some Recaro Sportsters from an E36 on the shore.

Probably finish the project at this point.

20150321_131459.jpg

meister-mgm-bronze.jpg

20160720_163536.jpg

666.jpg

8ScWq9g.jpg

Edited by gaijin
  • Like 5

Great to meet you and the car today.

What a fantastic build.

Thats an awesome build, and a man after my own heart with the attitude towards builds. Good work! :)

Very nice build :D

Which generation of the RB turbo's? are they the new RB evo versions?

Interested to know which kit you'll get for port injection - I see there are quite a few vendors doing the new intake manifold with port injection ports built in etc

4 hours ago, jake1829 said:

Very nice build :D

Which generation of the RB turbo's? are they the new RB evo versions?

Interested to know which kit you'll get for port injection - I see there are quite a few vendors doing the new intake manifold with port injection ports built in etc

The Next Gens are the current base model Rob sells. The EVOs dont fit RHD IIRC, a deal came up for these in Au that saved me a few k on the mid range super stealths. See what happens with the port kit, seems reasonable to get the manifold done too.

Pics are building up the rear end before dragging the carcass underneath and bolting it up. Size comparison to stock 135i rear discs, 1M/M3 rears and the 380mm AP's

20160807_143222.jpg

20160807_120400.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Martin cool to see you here - what hasn't come up is how cool this car sounds......

looking forrward to a ride......and being scared and excited at the same time!

I've added a part build thread on the projects forums, will add to that thread as updates come through

• Like 1