Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E36 318is Auto What to Do?

So my Nephew has my old 318is auto and he owes me some money so I am thinking of calling in my debts. Bad news is it doesn't run but from what I can get from him the engine turns over so it's possibly a transmission problem. Anyway I would be keen on a manual conversion but have been mulling over the options. So I could just do a manual conversion/diff and maybe put a turbo on it. Do a m52 conversion new diff brakes etc. Or maybe get radical and fit a Nissan RB turbo, 2jzgte or even an LS1. The body is pretty straight and the interior is ok so what would you guys do if you had an e36 coupe lying around?

Good news brakes are the same as 328i and sway bars are bigger up front than a 328i Msport and same out back. Bad new the diff is a small case  with 4.44 ratio, so maybe just an M52 swap with m52 driveline and some stiffer springs up front. Not sure about the electrics though.

I'd just keep your e46 coupe, mate!  #; )

Or if you're wedded to the e36 idea, you could buy John's S54 motor and trans now he's splitting that mad e30 touring to sell, add that into the e36.... along with beefy brakes and suspension.

Or go electric?

M10+turbo+nitrous?

yep, now I'm just getting silly.

Part it out to get your money back.

more seriously though, you might consider making it a trackday fun car.  strip it out, cage it, and use a power train selected on the basis of any likely racing classes/categories you might enter (eg The Surgery Sprint Series)...

low-rent motorsport!  as far as your pockets are deep.

Thanks a manual conversion is a definite,  just have to see if the m44 is still working, otherwise an m52 manual swap might be the go. m44 is not a grunt machine but I drove a manual 318is and it was still fun.

I drove a '93 318iS - manual - in '93, took it north from Sydney over the Bulledelah Ranges (the old route when it was the main road), it was an absolute joy to drive.

Well that's a great offer as I had thought about an M42 as it's a very well built little engine and I could put it in and then be eligible for the 1.8l class in the 2k Cup. I have been thinking very seriously about your manual conversion as well. Perfect box for an M42.

Feel free to contact me on here, @Richard Longley on FaceBook or Richardlongley001@gmail.com. We can further discuss a deal if you were keen! A Getrag 220 is fine behind most engines, I know of a couple guys running them behind S52 racecars. :o