Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3pedals

A year in a slushy Saab

11 posts in this topic

It's been a year and it is still going strong. It does have an annoying oil leak from the timing chain cover which is a bitch to resolve, but on the list for next year along with the cam chain tensioner.

Tried it on 5-w30  at previous oil change and sounded like it wanted to self destruct - Swapped it to Castrol 10W-40  at the last oil service and it is purring again and doing sterling service as the family run-around and learners car. 

Several after market tuning kits available to boost it to 140kW/ 320Nm or 190kW 420Nm  - also hearing they respond well to exhaust work if tweaked.

Edited by 3pedals
1 person likes this

Ron I have to say even after a year I am still wondering why you bought it.

John, I ask my self that question occasionally as well and  I generally end up accepting the selection.

The requirements were:

A low cost safe 5 seater automatic that I could drive after Achilles surgery, my wife could drive after ankle surgery and could also double as a beach hack and a run around/ school bus.

SO: the process went something like this

Rear wheel drive was eliminated because it is less efficient than transverse FWD  so out went BMW & Mercs , my first choice.

Alfas, Audis and a few others were eliminated because they are not low cost to buy and maintain

That left boring jap imports , Ford Mondeo & Saab

Jap imports got ditched  because they were generally poor quality / condition and overpriced for what they were so it came down to a Mondeo or a Saab

The Saab is MUCH cheaper to maintain than a Mondeo  so the Saab won.

It has been to Rotorua, Tauranga, does the daily school trip  and works well as a beach hack and is now the crash test mule for our first teenager to learn to drive in.

It has met all the original requirements and some  and allows us to conserve the X5 for the bigger road trips which given it has nearly 300,000km on the clock is a sensible thing to do.

Some examples of why it is cheap to maintain:

Front rotors $110 /pair

Ball joints - $35 ( Vectra you have to buy the whole arm at $600

Rear shocks $90 ea

Front shocks $160 ea

Suspension rubbers around $6 to $15 each not  $60 to $150 for others

What is good about it to drive

low pressure turbo means it has a nice flat torque curve 240Nm from 2,200 RPM compare that to the Mondeo at 190Nm at 4,500 RPM

P.S my daily drive is either the 328 / Prado/Pajero or Bike(s) and occasionally the X5 . The  Saab does all the menial run around stuff and wife's commute car

Edited by 3pedals

are all the other vehicles manual trans?

Just now, kiwi535 said:

are all the other vehicles manual trans?

Yes - the auto choice was purpose specific to meet the "invalid cart "  requirement,  as combined time in plaster / recovery was  9 months

thats what i thought....otherwie you surely have enough vehicles to cover 12 months.I did my achilles,it was no big drama really but i was three months relying on others and public transport.i became quite fit for the few weeks on crutches!Takes a long time to come right,keep at the exercises!

Could you have bought a Volvo instead?

FWD and safe.

I could have , but the Saab has the same safety rating , is cheaper to buy, more reliable and easier/ cheaper to fix.

did you get a turtle neck skivvy for christmas?

Nope, looking for an aero exhaust for the Saab though or might buy a mig welder and whip up a real pipe

Impressive effort

1) in the wrong thread

2) Nope and it's not my metric

3) Correct a stock LS is not  a performance engine  coz  when you use a metric that quantifies "state of tune"  it is only average --- But we all agree it puts out a decent amount of power ant it is relatively light- BUT that doesn't make it a performance engine, just a big one.

3) Nope - I said an LS powered E36 comment was bout the engine , not the chassis

4) Nope , torque is NOT overlooked - it is fundamental .

5) my pushrod bike pulls 9.400RPM - pushrods can rev , that was NEVER the argument

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Abusive comments removed from post.