Sign in to follow this  
BimDim

$6-7k, most reliable BMW?

We want to buy a used BMW, Ive seen 2006 320is with about 100kkm for $6k and 325i's for about $7k.

What would you suggest as the most reliable of the 3 series?

My uncle told me (hes a mechanic) never by a BMW because they all develop electronic and computer issues, is this true, is the 3 series that much more complicated than say a Subaru Legacy?

Is it also true servicing is dramatically more expensive?

if your budget is $6-7k, I would stay away from the E90 series (2005 onwards shape) and go for something like an E46 325i/330i or an E39 530i. 

No matter what you do, dont buy a 4 cylinder BMW such as a 2006 320i. You will regret it.

• Like 3

Is there any reason the 325i is no good in E90? love the shape i have to say.

But the 330i is a rocket :-)

2 hours ago, qube said:

if your budget is $6-7k, I would stay away from the E90 series (2005 onwards shape) and go for something like an E46 325i/330i or an E39 530i. 

No matter what you do, dont buy a 4 cylinder BMW such as a 2006 320i. You will regret it.

I was thinking the same, however you'd want to get a warranty with that age and mileage and I don't know how well these would qualify. 

I owned an E39 and it wasn't very reliable, sample of one I know but I had to replace the whole cooling system between 100-120kms which wasn't that fun. Fuel pump failures and various suspension components meant a folder thick with receipts over the three and a half years I had it. 

The only advice I can give is buy the best example you can and make sure you keep a few bucks in reserve, they are not cheap to maintain or fix if you're paying someone to do it. 

Edited by NZ BMW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BimDim said:

Is there any reason the 325i is no good in E90? love the shape i have to say.

But the 330i is a rocket :-)

There is nothing wrong with a 325i E90. I actually have a 325i wagon E91 and its awesome. But it cost me about 18k a year ago for a good low kms one and its still worth 14k ish today. Imagine what condition it would be in if you buy one for 6-7k now? no service history and abused to death? 

not a huge difference between 325i and 330i in my opinion. both great cars with good engines unlike the 2L 4cylinder.

3 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

I was thinking the same, however you'd want to get a warranty with that age and mileage and I don't know how well these would qualify. 

I owned an E39 and it wasn't very reliable, sample of one I know but I had to replace the whole cooling system between 100-120kms which wasn't that fun. Fuel pump failures and various suspension components meant a folder thick with receipts over the three and a half years I had it. 

The only advice I can give is buy the best example you can and make sure you keep a few bucks in reserve, they are not cheap to maintain or fix if you're paying someone to do it. 

All cars are different and you might have a bad one but in general, E46 and E39s are simple, easy to repair and source parts for, and overall reliable cars that dont have critical failures (except for the 540i timing chain guide issue).

Replacing the cooling system at around 100-120km is a MUST on almost any bmw and nothing out of the ordinary. Suspension components failing is also nothing out of the ordinary for any 15 year old BMW on these NZ roads.. But after you replace them, what an amazing car it becomes, unlike any other Japanese alternative.

My advice is look for one that is and was owned by an enthusiast (especially if looking at E46/E39) and if you are set on buying a E90 for 7k, make sure you put aside about $2000 for emergency repairs and be ready for random brakedowns or to do preventative maintenance/servicing. I dont recommend it though because even after spending this money, your car might still be in poor condition if it has had a hard life.

(buy my E39 530i lol - shameless advertising)

• Like 1

Get an E46 with all the ancillaries replaced. I learnt this the hard way. 

Apart from upgrades to suspension. I did the following.

Vanos rebuilt with Besian kit.
Vanos oil feed line replaced.
PCV System including hoses completely replaced.
Rocker Cover gasket replaced.
Oil Level Sensor replaced.
M Sport Steering wheel,
Bluetooth Head Unit.
Idle air control Valve service.
DISA Valve repaired.
New Alternator.
New Water Pump and hoses.
Front Control arm bushes (Poly)
Rear Control arm bushes (Poly)
Strut tower reinforcement plates.
Rear Shock reinforcement plates. 
Transmission serviced, flushed and new filter. 
Hawk performance brake pads.
Slotted and dimpled rotors (Near new) 
Braided brake lines. 
New Radiator overflow bottle and sensor.
Aircon regassed.

The underlying message seems to be if you're wanting a reliable BMW - don't by a 4cyl E90. Unfortunately, your budget isn't going to get much of one with a couple more so you'd be better off looking at something a generation older (e346/e39) as the gems are out there.

The ex Jap 525i MS which I bought from a fellow member here had no service history but had been well looked after and gave me no reliability issues at all - though (as per above) I did ensure I had the $$$$ in reserve if (when) required.

When I buy something next year I'll be in a similar boat - albeit with a slightly larger budget, and following the advice on here have concluded I'm better getting a good/great e46 than I am getting an average/cr@ppy e90/91... that will probably cost another 10-25% up front.

The key with any older BMW (well, any marque really), is to get the best car you can for your budget. In 99.9999999% of cases, that won't be the newest one.

For that money you can get a good condition E30 manual.

go for one of those. Heaps more fun, if anything goes wrong much cheaper to fix, and so much cooler car.

#E30FTW

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

For that money you can get a good condition E30 manual.

go for one of those. Heaps more fun, if anything goes wrong much cheaper to fix, and so much cooler car.

#E30FTW

To be fair, that is a big ask for someone who has their head set on an E90. To go to something 20 years older that potentially doesn't have power steering, electric windows or air con, and if a 318 70kw.

For half the budget an E39 530i could be had. Spend another grand doing the cooling system, hoses, t stat, water pump radiator etc. save the rest for when something else will need attention. Plenty on the market so can afford to be fussy. Mileage no so much an issue, more service history and what wear and tear items have been replaced - bushes brakes shocks alternator starter etc. Your budget will allow the better ones on the market to be had. Beautiful cars. 

My tongue was a little bit in my cheek for that one, but reliable, BMW and $6-7k don't realistically fit in the same sentence.

Being serious I would suggest an E46 LCI with a 6-cyl engine that has been well looked after.

it would still need some on-going work, but much better looking than the E90 and drive better IMHO.

No such thing "Reliable" this will depend on what it means to you. Richard has given you a link to follow and their are many more.This forum has some and a google search will reveal more ie Ultimate guide E39,  motor review e46. 

Surely you could get a well looked after E39 or E36 from 1998/9 that had all the required work done for $6-7k?

Certainly older but might still be suitable?

Do some hunting, find an early E46 with the M43TU engine.

• Like 1

My E46 330ci. Why because all the bits the fail have been replaced. :D

• Like 1

Whilst your budget is modest you really shouldn't look past an E39 or E46. Have had both in the last couple of years as a second car. E39 530i MSport & E46 325i. Whilst both were great the E39 was by far my favourite and I wish I still had it. It was NZ New with full service history. Sold for within you budget which I felt at the time was a steal for the now current owner.

I have no idea on current pricing of e90's but doubt youre going to get anything > than a 320i if that. I know the temptation is probably there to look for a newer car but you just don't want to go there if that's all your budget allows for. 

Just my 2c.

On 12/15/2016 at 6:37 PM, Herbmiester said:

Get an E46 with all the ancillaries replaced. I learnt this the hard way. 

Apart from upgrades to suspension. I did the following.

Vanos rebuilt with Besian kit.
Vanos oil feed line replaced.
PCV System including hoses completely replaced.
Rocker Cover gasket replaced.
Oil Level Sensor replaced.
M Sport Steering wheel,
Bluetooth Head Unit.
Idle air control Valve service.
DISA Valve repaired.
New Alternator.
New Water Pump and hoses.
Front Control arm bushes (Poly)
Rear Control arm bushes (Poly)
Strut tower reinforcement plates.
Rear Shock reinforcement plates. 
Transmission serviced, flushed and new filter. 
Hawk performance brake pads.
Slotted and dimpled rotors (Near new) 
Braided brake lines. 
New Radiator overflow bottle and sensor.
Aircon regassed.

Check!

I agree with the other, look for a well-loved and maintained e46.  Although the list above seems a lot, when you get a vehicle that's around 150k kms, if most of this work has been done you're good for 100k+ of trouble-free motoring, providing you're good to it!

Mine (purchased at 112k kms) was ex-Japan, and I've spent the last 4.5 years catching up on deferred maintenance, and general wear... it's now at 173k kms, and I *love* driving it.

I'll run through John's list above, and add my items:

Vanos rebuilt with Besian kit. [not yet, will no doubt be soon]
Vanos oil feed line replaced. [not yet, will no doubt be soon - hang on, perhaps so!]
PCV System including hoses completely replaced. [yep!]
New brake booster, as oil from PCV system contaminated booster diaphragm
Rocker Cover gasket replaced. [yep!, and all those seals around the plugs]
Oil Filter Housing gasket replaced

Oil Level Sensor replaced. [yep!]
Replaced power steering reservoir and top hoses (they like to leak pentosin)

Sump gasket, and bolts replaced (they like to leak oil)
Engine and Transmission mounts replaced (do it whilst doing the sump gasket)
M Sport Steering wheel, [I'd certainly like one!]
Bluetooth Head Unit. [replaced MD deck with factory CD head unit]
Idle air control Valve service. [yep!]
DISA Valve repaired. [yep - doing that this morning with an i6 Automotive unit]
New Alternator. [thankfully no, not yet]
New Water Pump and hoses. [yep!  I had all sensors, thermostat, and header tank replaced at same time]
Front Control arm bushes (Poly Meyle HD[replaced lower control arms with Meyle HD]
New ARB 
end links 
Rear Control arm bushes (Poly) [yep!  Meyle HD, I think]
Strut tower reinforcement plates. [yep!]
Rear Shock reinforcement plates. [yep!]
New Sachs OEM Shocks front and rear, all strut mounts, fasteners etc
Motorsport ARBs front and rear, new ARB bushes

Staggered Style 194 rims and appropriate rubber
Replaced broken rear spring

Transmission serviced REBUILT, flushed and new filter. [new cooler lines and transmission cooler]
Hawk performance [Akebono Euro ceramic pads -I'd go Hawk Performance next time] brake pads. 
Slotted and dimpled rotors (Near new)  [yep! - Slotted Rotors front and rear]
Replaced all parking brake hardware

Braided brake lines. [yep! First front, and four years later, rears]
New Radiator overflow bottle and sensor. [see above]
Aircon regassed. [yep! and compressor plus receiver drier replaced - my compressor was pooched]
Replaced broken sunroof shade sliders
Replaced windscreen wiper shroud [bottom of windscreen]
Replaced those seals on top of the headlap glasses that disintegrate
Replaced Rear Screenwash Pump
Replaced Front Screenwash Pump and addressed leak
Replaced spark plugs with NGK units
Replaced fuel pump and fuel pump relay
Regular coolant and brake fluid flushes
Airbag Recall (no charge)
Purchased another key
Replaced passenger airbag seat occupancy sensor mat (twice)
Replaced serpentine belt idlers and belt

Add countless oil filters/o-rings/sump washers for the many oil changes; air filters, cabin filters, and many, many litres of either Castrol 0w40 or Penrite 5w40 Synthetic oil; a few fuel filters; a few sets of tyres, multiple wheel alignments, wiper blades, and lots of polish and wax..... and you have a fun drive!

Yes, I still love it.  No, it's not for sale.  Yes, you really should consider an e46, they're a great drive.  About once a year I think of my old e30 325i Touring and think "that was fun, and lighter, but this is SO much better".

PS - the green saloon linked above looks MINT!  You should consider it.  HTH/

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 2

dont think we are doing any new potential bmw owners any favors with such a massive and scary list..

I'm gonna +1 to the "get an E46" suggestion.

Be picky, and you can get a nice one with a proper 6cyl engine. Maybe even a good 330i. 

I'd pick a high end E46 over a low spec E90 any day... My previous car was an E46 328i, now I drive an E92 335i. I still think E46's are awesome.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, qube said:

dont think we are doing any new potential bmw owners any favors with such a massive and scary list..

they're not destined to be owners of old BMWs (or more recent Porsches), then!  They'll be the types who cheap-out on maintenance, and call the cars over-rated and disappointing.  OTOH, mine drives like a new one at 14 years old.

You pays yer money, and takes yer choice.  I could have bought a 7 or 8 year old Toyota Caldina for the same money.  Would have cost me less to own, but would I enjoy it?

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

Check!

<list>

Ouch!!!!

Still at the end of that day ... I really enjoy driving this car!

Edited by KiwiTT

3 hours ago, Matth5 said:

I'm gonna +1 to the "get an E46" suggestion.

Be picky, and you can get a nice one with a proper 6cyl engine. Maybe even a good 330i. 

I'd pick a high end E46 over a low spec E90 any day... My previous car was an E46 328i, now I drive an E92 335i. I still think E46's are awesome.

Yep I almost regret putting my 330ci up for sale such a good car. I am starting to find the love for my E92 but its not the advancement over the E46 I thought it would be. 

• Like 1