Sign in to follow this  
MarcSE36

BMW E36 Airbag Light issue

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the Forum. I am the proud, indeed very proud owner of a mint 1997 e36 320i.  Unfortunately my Passenger Airbag has started to show up on the dashboard, and I'm unable to get a warrant of Fitness in New Zealand, as the car is deemed "Unsafe and not Roadworthy"

Does anyone perhaps know how the light and status can be reset on the ECU - I have fitted a new Airbag sensor kit which is located under the passenger seat.

Unfortunately also due to financial circumstances, I cannot afford the outrageous amount NZ $ 480.00 which BMW charges to have the ECU reset

Much appreciated if anyone can help :)

Welcome!

Yes, it can be reset, I can do that for you for free (Ellerslie) or somebody else closer to you might put their hand up to help. It's done with either a special tool or BMW's software, I have the latter.

Whether it comes back on will be determined by what caused it in the first place. You've probably bypassed the occupancy sensor with that kit and if that was the fault then all good. If the fault was elsewhere then it might come back on again after a reset.

First off is the E36 set up anything like the e46. The e46 had an issue with faulty wiring /connection in the section from the seat belt tensioner to where it connects in to the loom. The original wiring over time developed a fault which resulted in the warning light coming on then going out .Also check to see that the rest of the wiring is connected properly under the seat as a stray foot thrust under the seat could up set things. Best of luck these problems can be a pain in the butt to locate

https://www.scribd.com/document/63883492/SI-Repair-Instructions-for-Seat-Belt-Tensioner-Ignition-Circuit

Edited by allan

By airbag sensor, do you mean the little black box under the seat, or the sensor mat  (seat occupancy sensor) which is within the seat cushion? The sensor mats are film wires which eventually break. All it does is prevent the passenger airbag going off if no-one is in the seat, There are ways around it which are not expensive, search the internet...