Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

what does everyone think about this e30?

Personally would prefer a larger engine and air con. If it is rust free and runs price seems ok.  Seller has only had it for a few weeks which I'd find worrying...

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

Personally would prefer a larger engine and air con. If it is rust free and runs price seems ok.  Seller has only had it for a few weeks which I'd find worrying...

Rust-free is the key element. Check, double check, and check again.

It's a fairly run-of-the-mill example, with normal issues, and with what has become a run-of-the-mill price. Nothing exceptional, but not exceptionally expensive either.

8 hours ago, MD13 said:

you would prefer the 320i why sorry? im new to e30's, i have been told that 318i's are more zippy and 320i's take quite a bit more gas.

The 6-pot cars do use more fuel, but are generally more powerful. If you're regularly travelling longer distances the fuel consumption difference will be less significant.

I prefer the 4-pot cars. They may run out of breath earlier than a larger capacity 6 cylinder car, but the balance of the car is better, and handling improved as a result. (And if it is important - a 6-pot will cost more to service due to having 50% more cylinders. ;) )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gjm said:

The 6-pot cars do use more fuel, but are generally more powerful. If you're regularly travelling longer distances the fuel consumption difference will be less significant.

I prefer the 4-pot cars. They may run out of breath earlier than a larger capacity 6 cylinder car, but the balance of the car is better, and handling improved as a result. (And if it is important - a 6-pot will cost more to service due to having 50% more cylinders. ;) )

what a champ. cheers :)

I prefer the BMW 6 cylinder engines in general. Had an e30 325 and the exhaust note was something.

This car has the M40 - sohc. If it was the M42 that would be fine.

The 325i doesn't use much more gas that a 318i in real life, unless you're stuck in traffic all the time.

The 320i auto is the hungriest of the lot.

The 325i has pretty effortless power, so 4 adults (a squeze!) on a trip, can make the 325i more economical AND faster.

Dads old manual 325i SE did quite a lot of short trips, and he averaged a bit over 11L/100kms, but it was easily down to 8.5 on long trips (still not very good by modern standards!).

The thing is, to get a decent 325i manual is going to cost a LOT more than a similar condition manual 318i - We sold Dads E30 Last December for $8K:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/54221-e30-respect/

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/54837-fs-dads-e30-325i-se/

Personally, for an E30, my (simplified) preference order is:

M3 (:D)

325i Manual

318i Manual

The 320i doesn't make much sense... although they're easy to upgrade to a 325i engine... but for a classic E30, I'd want a stocker - I was tempted to keep Dads one, but I don't have a decent place to keep it.

In reality, you really want to buy the BEST CONDITION one, because there are some REAL dogs out there.