Sign in to follow this  
Samewan

Water spots under the window

Hey guys just washed my BMW and haven't been able to get the watersport off from the little trim on the bottom of the window they have been there for a couple weeks and can't get them off

1482545745389-1983399397.jpg

1482545777782-1426633292.jpg

Common problem with these BMW trim pieces. The permanent fix is to sand them back and repaint them or replace them entirely.

The alternative, which I've had success with, is to mask it all off and plasti-dip them. Mine are still strong coming up 3 years now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Common problem with these BMW trim pieces. The permanent fix is to sand them back and repaint them or replace them entirely.

The alternative, which I've had success with, is to mask it all off and plasti-dip them. Mine are still strong coming up 3 years now.

Sweet might plasti dip them cheers mate 

2 minutes ago, Samewan said:

Sweet might plasti dip them cheers mate 

All good. The only disadvantage is they get slightly tacky when left in direct sunlight on a hot day for a while. Never been a problem for me though.

I want to plastic dip the top grill bit on the Bonet too so will probably have the same problem coming into summer sounds like we are going to have a hot one ....

If they are painted, why not just go over them with cutting compound like any other painted part?

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, M M said:

If they are painted, why not just go over them with cutting compound like any other painted part?

It's kind of a electroplating, I polished bit of it off by accident when using a polisher machine.

I would try doing it by hand with some lighter compound and one of those foam applicator things. Go slowly and you shouldn't have a problem. Using a machine on parts like that, even painted, is usually asking for trouble unless you are very skilled at it.

Or, give a clay bar a shot first. That's probably a better idea actually and won't take the finish off.

Edited by M M