Sign in to follow this  
Mr Hyde

E91 LSD questions

I am looking at purchasing an LSD for my 2008 e91 335i. From what I have been reading any 3 series made after March 07 has a welded ring gear which needs to be removed and then attached to the new diff. A few questions I have is:

Who has installed an LSD and who did you use to install it? I am in Wellington but if there is no one down here to do it would take it to Auckland to have installed.

Do you have any idea of cost to install?

Has anyone installed an Mfactory one? I see that they are reasonably cheaper than a Wavetrac

I have tried searching threads but it always comes back with nothing found. I know there is info on threads as I have seen some in the past but can't find them (I know I'm a bit useless) so if you can help me use the search funtion or help with my questions in this thread it would be greatly appreciated. 

One member had a Wavetrac installed at BM Workshop Botany, here's his build thread:

I'd put an LSD quite far down the modding list. The e-diff does quite well unless maybe you track it or have much more power than stock.

Got the back-end out several times in mine, seems very controllable with the e-diff. Although I was in DTC mode, I'm not brave enough to turn DSC off fully on the street...

Edited by Matth5

Thanks! I did read about the e-diff. Admittly I haven't tried it but I will before deciding to purchase a mechanical LSD.  I have read a few stories about turning DSC off completely so I'm not keen on trying it. 

I also have been considering a M Factory LSD. I got on some forum somewhere and read a big thread on them. it was all very positive. 

Interesting! I wonder if there is a way to sneak it past customs. There is also the issue of separating the ring gear from the old diff. I'd be interested to know what I am in for money wise, before commiting. Now to see if my car has the e-diff.....

I have a mfactory in my e36. Supplied by and installed by Kane Barry motorsport. Pretty much needs a full refresh when open so you know it's good for the life of the car.

• Like 2