Sign in to follow this  
KPS

USB slot in glove box in 325i 2010

Hi guys, I have bought 325i LCI 2010, it has USB in the glove box. Does anyone know about its usage? I tried it by copying some mp3 songs into the pen drive and plugged it but nothing turned up on the iDrive screen.

The glove box USB is for transferring vehicle information, such as driver / key profiles and settings.

I think there should be another USB connection in the centre console somewhere in an E90, under the arm-rest possibly near the AUX jack plug? That is the one for transferring music files.

As Jon said, there should be a USB socket next to the aux in, in the centre console area.

Should look like this: 192738_x800.jpg

The one in glove box is for maintenance purpose, backup data from the iDrive harddrive, update firmware/maps, etc... You can't play MP3 songs off it.

If you want to play songs with USB, it needs a USB audio interface (option 6FL) located in the centre arm rest and it looks like the photo above.

The USB stick has to be formatted in FAT (maybe FAT32 as well) ,

According to the E90 manual you guys are wrong, you can use this to copy music to the iDrive hard drive...

This is different to the USB audio interface under the armrest (which is an option, not all have it).

Attached the manual for reference.

USB.JPG

2011-BMW-335i-Owners-Manual-Coupe.pdf

Edited by Matth5

IIRC you can only copy files into the iDrive "Music Collection" if you have the later hard-drive version of the Professional Navigation option, not Business Navigation? I didn't think that option was available on 2010 cars?

Also the original post was about playing the music from the USB drive rather than copying it, hence the response?

CIC iDrive (with the hard drive) started rolling out in 2008 models I think, so KPS should have it. 

My 2010 E92 does. 

Edited by Matth5