Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

quite possibly the most unfortunate Z3 ever

Hit with the ugly stick!

522872519.jpg

have you ever seen a worse shopping trolley handle, ever?  On a Z3?  It's interesting; US built (Spartanburg plant), ex-Japan, LHD, metric gauges.  Looks pretty tidy, to be fair.  80k kms.

Did I mention the interior?  An interesting blend (clash) of faux-walnut and plum leather.  It was the 90's, after all.  The Foo Fighters had just dropped their debut album the year before, we were wrapped in Britpop and Cool Britain, you could press your nose against the glass of the McLaren showroom in West London and marvel at the F1. Bill Clinton had been re-elected and there was an air of positivity in the US Economy; a whitehouse intern oddly elected not to dry-clean her dress.  The e39 debuted in UK, seems light-years ahead of the five it replaces.  Plaid shirts were in. Cigars were smoked in bars throughout North America.  And this Z3 exited the Spartanburg assembly line, exactly 5 years before planes hit the twin towers in NYC.  

522872486.jpg

This really needs rescuing to make into a track car, really.  with an S52 or something.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1234808191.htm

Your write up was more interesting than the actual trade me auction.

• Like 7

Gosh thats going to be a hard car to shift. At least with a LHD M3 its still an M3. A LHD Z3 is just a..... Well, i wont say it.

I wonder what possessed the importer to bring it in? Mirrored auction photos making them think it was RHD?

Edit: HAHAHAHA $6K for that. The ONLY thing going for it is that its manual.

Edited by KwS

38 minutes ago, eliongater said:

Your write up was more interesting than the actual trade me auction.

thank you, sir!

I wonder if the seller's including a glovebox full of authentic (and representative) cassettes from the period:

- Radiohead:  The Bends

- Collective Soul

- 4 Non Blondes

- Blur:  The Great Escape

- Black Grape:  It's great when you're straight... yeah

- The Presidents of the United States of America

- Paul Weller: Stanley Road

- Jah Wobble: Take me to God

- The Chemical Brothers: exit planet dust

- Underworld: dubnobsasswithmyheadman 

- Offspring: Smash

- Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come find yourself

It really should be compulsory!

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Gosh thats going to be a hard car to shift. At least with a LHD M3 its still an M3. A LHD Z3 is just a..... Well, i wont say it.

I wonder what possessed the importer to bring it in? Mirrored auction photos making them think it was RHD?

I think it's quite likely that Mulder and Scully have opened an X-File on this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

I wonder if the seller's including a glovebox full of authentic (and representative) cassettes from the period:

- Radiohead:  The Bends

- Collective Soul

- 4 Non Blondes

- Blur:  The Great Escape

- Black Grape:  It's great when you're straight... yeah

- The Presidents of the United States of America

- Paul Weller: Stanley Road

- Jah Wobble: Take me to God

- The Chemical Brothers: exit planet dust

- Underworld: dubnobsasswithmyheadman 

- Offspring: Smash

- Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come find yourself

It really should be compulsory!

If I'm going to follow through with your suggestion of using tapes, I wouldn't mind Blur or Offspring if you happen to have them :P

21 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Remove the spoiler, then its a normal LHD Z3. 

But even then, why? When there is so much choice in RHD Z3s and no benefit at all to getting an awkward LHD one. Who even imports something so mundane in LHD?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eliongater said:

If I'm going to follow through with your suggestion of using tapes, I wouldn't mind Blur or Offspring if you happen to have them :P

you need to trawl the shop at Trash Palace.  I almost always tape my own, apart from when I pick em up from recycling centres #; )

9 hours ago, huff3r said:

But even then, why? When there is so much choice in RHD Z3s and no benefit at all to getting an awkward LHD one. Who even imports something so mundane in LHD?

It's safer in head on crashes on NZ roads since most crashes happen on the right side of the car. 

So it stands to reason the left side of the passenger area would be a safer place to be. 

Semi joking, but maybe? 

On 04/01/2017 at 9:43 PM, Michael. said:

It's safer in head on crashes on NZ roads since most crashes happen on the right side of the car. 

So it stands to reason the left side of the passenger area would be a safer place to be. 

Semi joking, but maybe? 

The offshoot to this of course is that a crash is more likely in the first place since a passing manouvre involves putting the R/H/S into oncoming traffic before a clear coast ahead can be confirmed.:o^_^

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hotwire said:

The offshoot to this of course is that a crash is more likely in the first place since a passing manouvre involves putting the R/H/S into oncoming traffic before a clear coast ahead can be confirmed.:o^_^

haaaaaaaa

I guess there'd also be the following in our glovebox:

- David + David:  Boomtown.

- Oasis:  (What's the story) Morning Glory

- Massive Attack:  (vs Mad Professor) No Protection

- The The:  Dusk

and of course

- Nine Inch Nails:  the downward spiral.

There might be a peppering of Fiona Apple (Tidal), Tori Amos (under the pink), or even some Supergroove.

and we'd be suffering, driving this car.  with that fooking handle on the boot.  The team that sold it to you were telling you it was bangin'.  Your mates liked it.  But you thought it was pants.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1