Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

E36 316i compact - M52B28 or M54B30?

Hi,

As per the title I have an E36 compact and am looking to swap in a six cylinder. The car is currently a 1.6 manual.

I rushed out and brought a 330 engine from an E46, but now I'm thinking a 328 from an E36 would be more suitable?

Can you please let me know your thoughts and experiences as to which engine is best suited?

Thanks 

Hi Hayden, I can't help much with the specific tech details... though interested to understand why you'd be thinking the M54B30 would be any less suitable than the M50B28?  

Which trans are you thinking of running?

Can you give us a clue on what you're thinking?

cheers 

m52b28 from an e36 would be more plug and play, but m54b30 is arguably cooler and more powerful for what I assume is not that much more work

M52B28 in a compact is almost becoming common now. Definitely go the road less travelled. M54B30 would be awesome.

Plus a 330Ti would really make people take a second look.

• Like 1

So the M54B30 has disa, dual vanos (Michael), and also fly-by-wire throttle. Just wondering if these provide additional barriers and costs over and above the M52. If they're easily overcome then great. I know nothing about CPU's by the way.

The M52 also has the advantage that I could buy a complete car and swap the front subframe for beefy brakes and suspension.

The initial plan is to use the 1.6 gearbox until I can save for something stronger Olaf.

I have an email out with hellbm prior to xmas, but nothing back yet.

Thanks

Ask Glenn Osbourne about his M52B28 Compact conversion sure he can fill you in on all the details. Have a e46 compact which I put a  M54b25  into as one they were produced from  factory. Two it didn't involve having to change all the suspension and brakes plus all the other bits and pieces that crop up when going to a larger motor /drive line. It has been done their is an site in the US for e36 compacts and some of the conversion they have done. also the e36 compacts did come out with  m52b23 factory.

Edited by allan

I think you're in the right place; I reckon many regular contributors are still on holiday so it's a little slow.  

There are others better informed than I who can confirm whether a 4cyl transmission will work with your 6 cyl engine; I fear they don't line up at all.  

Please, have a drink at the bar while you wait...

Definitely go for the m54b30.

If m54 has the same bellhousing as m52 then your trans will bolt up. The driveshaft will need changing, and the transmission will be further back so shift linkages need shortening. I haven't done the swap myself, but when looking for manual swap info that was the general consensus

I have an m52b28 compact, its quite an easy swap if its got ews already, if it doesn't its still not too difficult, only a few more wires. M54 sounds a lot more complex with the whole fly by wire system etc and I am unsure of the wiring to get it all going. If you are keen to play about with wiring then the m54b30 would be awesome however the m52b28 swap would be less of a hassle. M52b28 in a compact with a manual box (As yours is a 316 manual Im assuming its a Getrag 220 box) chuck in a medium case e30 diff and your good to go! Have a read up on my project thread here:

Also @_ethrty-Andy_ has a 328Ti track car and a thread on here which is well worth reading:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50304-friseur-auto/?hl=friseur

The compact chassis is a hell of a lot of fun with the bigger engine, I just did 2000km's in mine the past 2 weeks driving it through central otago and it was so much fun through the bends!

Edited by RedRocketTi

Here's one we prepared earlier ?

328ti with a supercharger 

also just in the middle of a e46 330ti 

IMG_8703.MOV

mine has been great fun, ended up with full E36 M3 suspension and brakes, M52 in the front. if you have a 328i parts car the only thing you need to buy/mod is a rear section, and bend the front exhaust section in the middle a bit. I have a setup here from mine i no longer need if you are interested.