Sign in to follow this  
Benoire

Need a replacement insurer for E60 2009 BMW 550i

Hello

I've got a 2009 BMW 550i E60 currently insured through AA.  I'm quite disappointed with the 'market' value and given their current renewal price of $1500 for the market value of $23K, I'm in the market for alternatives.

People (& Friends in the car :-( ) enjoy doing damage to my car and then disappearing so I've had a couple of claims in the past few years for it, but at 37 I'm generally a competent driver.  Which insurance firm is likely to be the best for me in terms of cost vs insured value (looking at around $27K-30K as I bought the car for $31K in 2015) and also friendly towards repairs.  I like my cars in good condition and will generally repair it even if I caused the damage and take pride in their appearance.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Chris

Ask your favourite panel beater who they will do work for. I used to use ASB (underwritten by State) and following some damage was surprised that the panel beater I preferred would not work under them. He stated they supplied their own inferior parts and the hourly rate was too low.

Good call, I was going to give Precision Autowerks on the north shore as that is where I take it... They did say that my current insurer (AA) where pretty hard to deal with.

Thanks, a brief online quote suggests better than current but would only know after talking to them about claim history... Either way, I'm not necessarily after the cheapest, just something that carries a better market value at a similar price and ease of sorting out issues... AA has failed on the market value but hasn't so far been too bad on the claims front.

Get a broker, much better deals and they generally work harder to make sure what you get is what you want. All my cars are with NZI now after state cocked my previous insurance up big time. The fact you have claims to your name is going to be a big kick in your premiums, insurers dont like having to pay out.

Most insurers will demand the use of PartsTrader for repairs now, so they get the best price for parts, no matter if they are new/2nd hand/aftermarket. Only cars that are less than 4 years old are guaranteed new genuine parts.

• Like 1

I'm with state and can't speak highly enough of them. Had a claim a few years ago on my E39 and they insisted that the repairer used BMW parts. Was all pretty painless. 

Didn't seem to change my premium much at all, I think given that I've been with them for 10 years plus I locked in some kind of lifetime discount or something. 

AMI - $20K value - $70 per month

On ‎6‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, Benoire said:

Thanks, a brief online quote suggests better than current but would only know after talking to them about claim history... Either way, I'm not necessarily after the cheapest, just something that carries a better market value at a similar price and ease of sorting out issues... AA has failed on the market value but hasn't so far been too bad on the claims front.

AA were absolutely awful when I claimed with them last time. Wouldn't let me use the panel shop I wanted,  used their own non-BMW approved repair centre and did an awful lash up of a job.

Youi were just aggressive sales people - so no thank you.

Ended up going with State, but haven't claimed with them yet so we shall see..

I have claimed multiple times with AA.  Each time the process has been great.

I drop the car off to the AA centre, they do a walk around to identify the damage and then a week later I get the car back, happy times.

I also have my cars on agreed value with AA, would have thought you could specify what you want for your 550i.

I will be changing soon though, as they messed up my M5 policy.  I added my wife to it (she has had some claims) and the premium was high.  At the time I just went ahead with it.  Now, I can't remove her from the policy without it going to a single driver only policy (no un-named drivers covered).  Silly system.

My AA claims so far haven't been rejected, but the body shop said they where difficult to deal with; I take it to one that is approved by the manufacturer not the insurance firm so that might be why.

My main issue is that the value of the car is quite low yet they still want $1500 a year for the pleasure, yet others that I have done such as tower, protecta etc. are around $1100-1200; I just want to maximise my protection at the lowest price, not get the lowest price overall.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:18 PM, NZ BMW said:

I'm with state and can't speak highly enough of them. Had a claim a few years ago on my E39 and they insisted that the repairer used BMW parts. Was all pretty painless. 

Didn't seem to change my premium much at all, I think given that I've been with them for 10 years plus I locked in some kind of lifetime discount or something. 

To counter this my wife had a 318 e36 that we brought fior $12500 a number of years back.

The car got rear ended and shunted into car in front . Wife suffered neck injuries as did the driver in the car she hit.

Damage was extensive to the point of the tyrewell being buckled and rear door gaps had closed up.

aurgued car should be written off. Policy was to repair the car even if it came to 80% of market value. They repaired the car and it went back a couple of times for overheating and sir con radiator According to the smash repairer the total bill ended  being $11,800.

I wasn't happy with the outcome as to me the rear crumple zone was now weaker. Car was put on a chassis straightener and crumpled boot area was pulled out by welding a block and tackle method. Wasn't convinced the car still had its full strength restored.

A combo of new and second hand parts were used.

Used a broker for my motorcycle. JB insurance which are now ion.

Was a race kitted Ducati and got quoted $2800 for $34,000 cover from State and a few others. JB was like $1200 . Had a great conversation with JB. Policy was also great as it cover items such as getting home , gear cover and funeral cover.  

Saw them replace a mates bike ( MV Augusta ) that was a couple years old at the time .$39k payout quickly settled. 

13 minutes ago, Neal said:

To counter this my wife had a 318 e36 that we brought fior $12500 a number of years back.

The car got rear ended and shunted into car in front . Wife suffered neck injuries as did the driver in the car she hit.

Damage was extensive to the point of the tyrewell being buckled and rear door gaps had closed up.

aurgued car should be written off. Policy was to repair the car even if it came to 80% of market value. They repaired the car and it went back a couple of times for overheating and sir con radiator According to the smash repairer the total bill ended  being $11,800.

I wasn't happy with the outcome as to me the rear crumple zone was now weaker. Car was put on a chassis straightener and crumpled boot area was pulled out by welding a block and tackle method. Wasn't convinced the car still had its full strength restored.

A combo of new and second hand parts were used.

Wow, hope they have changed since then!