Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Honda CR-V... Or something else (!)

We've got a 2006 Honda CRV and have loved it. Consumer Magazine recommended the 2006+ CRV a few years ago - but didn't recommend the models before 2006. Not sure why. X-Trails are also supposed to be very good.

37 minutes ago, drtimwright said:

We've got a 2006 Honda CRV and have loved it. Consumer Magazine recommended the 2006+ CRV a few years ago - but didn't recommend the models before 2006. Not sure why. X-Trails are also supposed to be very good.

Sadly a 2006-on model is going to be out of budget. Worth noting for the future, though - thanks.

8 hours ago, gjm said:

Sadly a 2006-on model is going to be out of budget. Worth noting for the future, though - thanks.

Well, once it's in budget feel free to drop me a line. I am an old lady driver who only uses it on Sundays to go to church.

• Like 1

Thankfully we're not in a hurry to change!

The Subaru option is becoming more thought about. If we did go for a Legacy or an Outback, it'd be with the 3.0 H6 (EZ30D) engine, in a car produced between 2000 and 2005, encompassing the late 3rd generation and early 4th generation cars. The later (larger) engines are too new and prices too high at present, and the 2.5, while a good engine, has well documented 'issues'. The 3.0... Not so much.

That does rather leave the question of Legacy vs Outback. (It'd be a wagon we'd look for.) Neither is an out-and-out offroader, of course, but that little extra ability from a slightly raised ground clearance may be useful.
The Outback is a little taller and that may be good for Mrs M.
I suspect the question is a similar one to the Audi A6 Quattro Avant vs the Audi Allroad - neither is necessarily better and it is just a case of which do we actually need.

The Legacy is likely to be slightly more economical and handle slightly better than the Outback.

(Apologies for thinking out loud here!)

BP5 Legacy/Outback is a great car, but by no means it is as spacious as a soft roader.  http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1266186247.htm

self importing could be possible for these? or is that an unnecessary stress at this point.

• Like 1

A little light research into H6-equipped reliability...

This from 2003:
"I am a Subaru mechanic, since the 3.0L came out I haven't had 1 problem. [This would have been in 3 years from launch of the 3.0 H6.] The 2.5L engine has timing belt tensioner problems, crappy Champion stock spark plugs that misfire, oil leaks.
I would rather have a 3.0L engine any day over the 2.5L.
I like the valve in the intake mainifold and the muffler that open at around 4,000 rpm for better flow.
Plus the 3.0L has platinum plugs and coil on plug ignition, instead of the 1 coil and wires on the 2.5L."
The writer now drives a 2006 Subaru Legacy with the 3.0 H6 engine.

Comparing to the Volvo 4wd wagon:
"I feel that the engine is as smooth as they come once warmed up, it provides good acceleration, and is pretty quiet.
I also feel that the all-wheel-drive is superior to that used on the Volvo (or anybody else's for that matter). 
The drivetrain is laid out in a simplistic pattern, which is less complicated, and thus more reliable than other setups. I have heard that Volvo reliability is not what it used to be since they have become a Ford company.
The H6 also benefits from better fuel economy."

There are reports of issues with the 3.0 H6 engine, but they are typically with engines that have clocked up more than 250k miles. I have read the word 'bulletproof' many times in connection with the H6.

Just now, lord_jagganath said:

BP5 Legacy/Outback is a great car, but by no means it is as spacious as a soft roader.  http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1266186247.htm

self importing could be possible for these? or is that an unnecessary stress at this point.

It's something we have to ask... Is it big enough? Probably... Stick a towbar on it and the carrying capacity becomes less of an issue.

I have looked at goo-net with regard to a self import. Some real bargains could be had there, compared to normal NZ prices... Assuming they are good cars, of course.

Never having gone down that road I'd be asking for guidance and suchlike from someone who has imported before and has knowledge of such things.

We've had a gen 1, 2 and currently have a 3 (2008) All bought at about 60-80k

Gen 1 was an import, no troubles, still going well with it's current owner. Only gripes were the gearbox software (basic in the extreme, going up steep hill won't change down, then you kickdown and it tries to rev to 10,000), and I had problems with the drivers seat not providing enough side support

Gen 2 was an NZ new Sport. Had a diff whine when we got it (fixed under warranty) then developed a noisy 3rd gear. I think a problem with gear hardening. Better gearchange though, but still a 4 speeder. If you're going to offroad it look underneath at the frame around the fuel tank - it's low!

Gen 3 is the best so far (NZ new Sport again). Stiff suspension - you can throw it around, but not like an E36!, 5 speed auto box. But the one thing the boss hates is the lack of space between the seats for a handbag.

No real problems with any of them, except the Gen 2. My impression was that that model had gone soft after the previous one. I really like our current one - great car for touring in.

PS a 2.4 metre long piece of 100 x 50 almost fits diagonally across the car in a Gen 2. Until you close the rear door, when it tries to escape through the windscreen.....

3 hours ago, jom said:

PS a 2.4 metre long piece of 100 x 50 almost fits diagonally across the car in a Gen 2. Until you close the rear door, when it tries to escape through the windscreen.....

A voice of experience? My brother can tell a similar story about something in an Audi A4 Avant...

Having looked a littl emore, your story follows a fairly common theme. Having owned a Legacy wagon or an Outback, a lot of people buy another one. And another one...

We'd be looking at a late Gen3 or early Gen4. I'm not interested in the optional fancy lane departure warning and similar kit that is available on the later Gen4 and the Gen5 (and they're too expensive for us anyway).

What about a 4wd ARX Stagea? They are an oddball car but are solid things with a good engine. they are more spacious too.

42 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

What about a 4wd ARX Stagea? They are an oddball car but are solid things with a good engine. they are more spacious too.

I was going to say that they're HUGE, but looking at specs suggests they are no more than 10mm longer. It's probably the roofline and flat back that makes them look big.
The Stagea is typically reliable but the engines do have some annoying quirks, and they are a mission to work on.
Something to consider. :thumbs-up:

The Infiniti EX / Nisan Skyline Crossover looks interesting too, but the same old $$$ issue applies.

Edited by gjm

A bit late on this.

Id suggest taking a look at a 3rd generation Odyssey.

I'm on my 3rd JDM 4WD Honda Odyssey. Got over 200,000km on the 1st 2.

1st was a 1996 2.2, 2nd was a 2001 V6, and the current one is a 2 4 Absolute. We picked it up for $6,800 last April. Bomus is that it has a real 5 speed auto, and a 2 4 litre 140kw engine. It had done 115k.

Jim

Not so late that we've bought something!

We're going to look at a house on Sunday. If we decide to buy, a 4wd car will be a sensible choice. As might something with a winch if we slip off the road leading to the drive...

• Like 1