Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

[MY_E30] Track/Street Car Build.

Just now, Kaz said:

It was around the $500 mark. Not including any of the rack ends/tie rods/boots.

Thats pretty reasonable. How many turns lock to lock is it?

5 minutes ago, zero said:

Thats pretty reasonable. How many turns lock to lock is it?

Just a standard E30 so I believe around 4. Tried to get the Z3 with 2.7 but sat too low. Plus ran out of time to play around with other options so just went with what I know bolted right in with the engine.

Edited by Kaz

Really pushing to get this on display this weekend at the 2017 V 4 & Rotary Nationals! Currently the car's been stripped down and headed off to my fabricator to sorting out the cage and getting the screamer pipe plumbed back into the exhaust.

IMG_2706.jpeg

Pretty sure it's done more KM's on the back of a tow truck than what I've driven it for since I bought it!

IMG_2713.jpeg

Next thing to look at are wheel options. I want to go for 17's as my 15" RKR's look too small on it in my opinion. Any suggestions? I would have loved a set of Regamasters but seem impossible to find in NZ in 4x100 17's. Another option could be Rota Titans (They come in 4x100) although they only come in a high offset.

249586171.jpeg

So all up to date now. Unfortunately they have no more sets of the Rota Titans in Hyper Black in the country so will be putting my old wheels on until then. Car is back from the Fabricators with a 6 point cage in. Drove it for the first time in 6 months and it's going better than ever.

Got my new tailights and headlights delivered today to update the look a bit. They're not for everyone (not much of this car is!) but personally I love how they look.

IMG_2951.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

where's the pics of your cage!! 

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

where's the pics of your cage!! 

No interior pics yet, the insides a mess, but once I sort out my new seats and harnesses etc and get the paperwork done I'll grab some. It's a 6 point rollcage with no side intrusions.

In the mean time, new (very old wheels I've had sitting around for years) are on, as are the new lights all around. Still needs a good clean and polish before the weekends show.

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

Edited by Kaz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

No interior pics yet, the insides a mess, but once I sort out my new seats and harnesses etc and get the paperwork done I'll grab some. It's a 6 point rollcage with no side intrusions.

come on man, it's not a fashion show.  We wanna see your cage as it is now, fresh back from the fabricators.  not when it's all tarted up! :)

#nothouseandgarden

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

come on man, it's not a fashion show.  We wanna see your cage as it is now, fresh back from the fabricators.  not when it's all tarted up! :)

#nothouseandgarden

Here's how it's looking right now. Waiting on paperwork, seats and harnesses. Not sure on what colours I'll be painting it yet, but might just stick with black - easier to keep clean.

IMG_2980.JPG

• Like 1

It's awesome.  Thanks for sharing, it must be very exciting to get your vehicle back with a cage in it.

Was awesome to be able to display it today at the 2017 V 4 & Rotary Nationals! Not quite ready for the drag racing tomorrow though. 

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

• Like 3

Been a bit slow on this due to work, but finally a little more progress has been made! Took it for a first test run last weekend at Mad Mike's Summer Bash. Put my semi slicks onto it and see how things go. Unfortunately it started running a bit hot so took it in after only a few laps.

Photo 18-02-17, 1 14 53 PM.jpg

New electric fan coming next week so should solve that problem. Other updates include new brakes rotors and pads are on their way, full set of new gauges should be here tomorrow Plus seats are ready to put in. Next testing is a corporate day next Friday on the Hampton Downs Club Circuit so hopefully that goes a bit better!

Photo-23-02-17,-3-34-36-PM.jpg
Goal is to have it racing at Manfeild at the end of March at the 2017 V 4 & Rotary North Island Jamboree.

Edited by Kaz

Started working on the interior this weekend! The worst part of the car was definitely the interior, but now it's looking so much better.

Started by removing the all the speakers/wiring, dash, stereo, air con unit and all the mess behind there.

Photo 26-02-17, 2 10 07 PM.jpg

Replaced the non-working gauges in the cluster plus installed the new steering wheel/under panels to tidy that up. Original gauges were removed from on top of the dash and just placed here temporarily. New gauges have already arrived and will be installed this week.Photo-26-02-17,-4-40-08-PM2.jpg

Decided to mock up a couple templates for the gauge panels. Thinking of going down the lines of installing a tablet into the panel to run Racechrono/gps speedo/Lap timing etc but not sure if it's more hassle than it's worth (thoughts)?

Photo-26-02-17,-5-39-01-PM-(1).jpg

And finally, got the headlights and indicators re-wired. Indicators now have plugs and extended wires so they're easy to remove when the bumper comes off.

Photo_26-02-17,_11_31_22_AM.jpg

Was a bit hard getting in and out my parents driveway though!

Photo_26-02-17,_6_26_59_PM.jpg

On a side note from an earlier post, I decided to pull apart my old cluster to see exactly why there was smoke coming out of it. Turns out the battery had leaked and there was corrosion everywhere from a possible water leak.

Photo_26-02-17,_11_36_07_AM.jpg

This week goals are to install new brakes, gauges, higher powered electric fan, and get it ready for test #2 at Hampton Downs on Friday.

So it's been over 3 months since I last saw the car but finally got it back yesterday. Went through a few fairly major problems but it's driving better than it ever has. Excuse the crappy photos. Will get around to take some proper ones at some point!

59430eb6645c4_Photo_15-06-17_1_45_40_PM_(1).thumb.jpg.1186be4491e7da2f9a37a4082655df5d.jpg

Had to get a new custom brake booster system setup to suit the small amount of space that was available. While removing the old system, we found that we had to rebuilt part of the firewall plates too.

59430eb1c2d92_Photo15-06-1722048PM.thumb.jpg.12e322f7c2255cb987824628f23e2617.jpg

Other updates include a new Link G4 computer and dyno tune. Need to replace the wastegate to allow it to run more boost, and a few other things so will update numbers etc once it's all been done.

59430e9ee8897_Photo15-06-1732218PM.thumb.jpg.59296c1eec35c7f7e3a8938f2e1363c4.jpg

Plenty of other little jobs done too, including rewired the electric fan, ignition switch/starter button, and finally found some clear M3 front indicator lenses, although might tint them black (it's the little things that make all the difference!).

59430ea5e8b35_Photo_15-06-17_3_58_22_PM.thumb.jpg.49ce9e2c2887cddea7c5e2afe852cb4f.jpg

Still have a lot to do, it's the type of project that's never going to be "finished".

- Need to decide if I want to do the M3 boot extension.
- Also need to decide if I want to go to 5 stud or stick with 4.
- Fit aero mods (new splitter/rear wing).
- Tidy up interior.
- Adjustable Suspension.
- New wheels/semi slicks.
- Paint engine parts.

How do you like the G4? Would you recommend it?

What hp and torque are you making at the moment?

On 16/06/2017 at 4:13 PM, zero said:

How do you like the G4? Would you recommend it?

What hp and torque are you making at the moment?

I can't really compare it to any other aftermarket computers but I really like it it. Much better than the standard R32 computer it was previously running. 

Only running around 200kw on 6 pounds of boost. More than enough to have some fun and get used to driving it. Need a new wastegate and a few other bits and pieces to run more boost but my goal is 300kw in this car. 

• Like 1

Sounds good.

Are you running e85 or planning to at some stage?

12 hours ago, zero said:

Sounds good.

Are you running e85 or planning to at some stage?

Just 98 tune. No plans to run e85 any time soon! Way too many other things to get done first. 

Just realised I bought it a year ago yesterday. It's come a long way but still plenty more to do! Managed to dig up a few old photos from the previous owner. Wish I took more before I started working on it to get some good before and after photos, but s**t it was ugly!

13410506_10205698427411402_1632964700_o.thumb.jpg.c499a6613a09025374d86ce05886d7fc.jpg13405214_10205698424051318_770540060_o.thumb.jpg.376edfc99292e8c9db5fac02238c3fa8.jpg13427964_10205696810730986_5755555441956163681_n.jpg.805509bcd99c27f97db5be9d50a1da5c.jpg

19726963_10208590348827630_254446254_o.thumb.jpg.8d50842bfa0f4ff50d21f37f06aadbec.jpg

Edited by Kaz

Ah was this car at the Mad Mike Summer Bash event, remember seeing something very similar if not the car itself. The RB engine swap? Maybe could do one of my projects for the future with a bit of inspiration from this one. The car sure has come along way and looks great, drive like a bit of a good cart? 

22 hours ago, Hobbs_e21 said:

Ah was this car at the Mad Mike Summer Bash event, remember seeing something very similar if not the car itself. The RB engine swap? Maybe could do one of my projects for the future with a bit of inspiration from this one. The car sure has come along way and looks great, drive like a bit of a good cart? 

Yeah had it at Mad Mikes Summer Bash. Was meant to enter the Time Attack but wasn't ready in time. Only went out in the cruising (lasted 2 laps!) then just parked it up by our offices in the pits.
Definitely a nice driving car now though!

• Like 1