Sign in to follow this  
MyBimmer1001

AIRBAG MODULE REPLACEMENT

Hi guys and girls, I am a new memeber. I have a good low kms '96 BMW E36 318i, which only done 84k's called blackbeauty. Had it for couple years now and still going good aside from a couple of weeks ago the airbag light came on again, when i say "again", i had an occupancy seat bypass installed and reset the airbag approx 6 mos ago and now it's back.

This time i took it to the shop and had it scanned, the mechanic mentioned that it is the airbag module that needs replacement as it does not recognize the occupancy sensor when they unplug it. I found one with the same part number, but it was taken off a 7 series bmw and not a 3 series. Will this module need recoding eventhough they have the same part number? Or will it be a plug and play as they have the same part number?

Can anyone shed light before i proceed in installing the module?

Thanks in advance.....

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I will start by saying - I totally disagree with the seat bypass. It is illegal to tamper with the system - regardless of the fact that the air bag should still operate. They were installed for a reason!

As far as the replacement module, i am pretty sure they cannot be reprogrammed  for a different application - the 7 would have had more bags installed no doubt. You will need one that is programmed the same as yours. Or a new module which does need programming to the car.

• Like 3

The fact that you have only had this "bypass" thing and it's not working after only six months should tell you something!

Don't cut corners on safety, it's just not worth it.

The bypass is still working and this one will let the airbag deploy in case of an accident. Now the module is the one that's playing up, if you unplug the occupancy sensor it doesn't detect and trigger the airbag light, which normally should.

I am aware of the safety issues involved here, that is why i don't just put anything untested in my car, these bypass sensors have been in the market for a long time and a lot of people use them, am sure member's here use them as well.

Was this test done with the passengers seat belt plugged into it's receiver (stalk) ?? and with the ignition on ?

On 1/12/2017 at 8:27 PM, MyBimmer1001 said:

The bypass is still working and this one will let the airbag deploy in case of an accident. Now the module is the one that's playing up, if you unplug the occupancy sensor it doesn't detect and trigger the airbag light, which normally should.

I am aware of the safety issues involved here, that is why i don't just put anything untested in my car, these bypass sensors have been in the market for a long time and a lot of people use them, am sure member's here use them as well.

I wouldn't be caught alive with one of these bypass systems, let alone dead.

There are tons of cheap-assed tyres on the market as well.  I don't care how many (stupid) people buy them, it doesn't make em good/appropriate/safe; I think your logic is flawed.

I'm disappointed to note my e46 has been through two seat occupancy sensor mats in 4.5 years.  It's not cheap, it's a product failure, and it's bloody inconvenient.  I won't compromise on the safety of any passenger in my vehicle.  A life is worth more than the mere cost of the repair job, and I'm not chancing it with a modification to the operation of active safety systems in the hope they'll protect effectively.

Engineers spent many thousands of hours devising these safety systems.   It amazes me to think that folks think bypassing them or modifying them is a *good idea*.  

28 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I wouldn't be caught alive with one of these bypass systems, let alone dead.

There are tons of cheap-assed tyres on the market as well.  I don't care how many (stupid) people buy them, it doesn't make em good/appropriate/safe; I think your logic is flawed.

I'm disappointed to note my e46 has been through two seat occupancy sensor mats in 4.5 years.  It's not cheap, it's a product failure, and it's bloody inconvenient.  I won't compromise on the safety of any passenger in my vehicle.  A life is worth more than the mere cost of the repair job, and I'm not chancing it with a modification to the operation of active safety systems in the hope they'll protect effectively.

Engineers spent many thousands of hours devising these safety systems.   It amazes me to think that folks think bypassing them or modifying them is a *good idea*.  

I totally agree with you, but you should respect other people's choices as well, big tyre brands make affordable and cheap tyres as well to catch the lower market, but it doesn't mean they are crap.

Good you stick with the standards, but it doesn't mean those who don't are stupid!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, the SRS module can be reprogramed to your car. It's been done many times on a 7 series forum I belong to. The only reason it couldn't is if it believes it's deployed a airbag in which case said module is stuffed..

You'll just need to find someone who has the right program. INPS or something similar.

Edited by kulgan

Just now, MyBimmer1001 said:

I totally agree with you, but you should respect other people's choices as well, big tyre brands make affordable and cheap tyres as well to catch the lower market, but it doesn't mean they are crap.

Good you stick with the standards, but it doesn't mean those who don't are stupid!

I give you:

• Ling Long
  • HiFly
  • insert cheap sub-standard tyres here.

Darwin would disagree that purchasers of these products were blessed with even average intelligence!