Sign in to follow this  
BatMansWilly

New The 5er (G30)

Interesting to see the new 5ers that will be coming out soon. IMO they look a lot better then the f10/11s and god dam that interior looks amazing!

And now it's both 1inch shorter and 1inch longer :D

The new kidney grilles look interesting! 

https://youtu.be/Is3x28yxbcA

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/10/12/world-premiere-the-2017-bmw-g30-5-series/

Edited by BatMansWilly
  • Like 1

The kidneygrills are awesome how they open and close automatically.

47 minutes ago, zero said:

The kidneygrills are awesome how they open and close automatically.

late-80's BMW NZ did a cool full-page advert for April Fools Day about how the new 7 series grill slats moved to change airflow with speed, for improved drag coefficient.  Great that this has surpassed mere humour to become reality!

Somewhere in the attic I still have a copy of the advert.

• Like 1

I like it, very nicely proportioned.

It does seem already dated, but in a good way... reminds me of 5 series of old for some reason. 

agreed!  it's got a classical feel about it, despite being cuttingly modern.  plenty of line and proportion from the new 7er, as well, I think.

I'd buy one, if the lotto gods are with me.

Yes I agree very good looking car, but best of all BMW have realised that big horsepower needs 4WD. 

Edited by Herbmiester

it does look very nice!

17 choices of alloy wheels... nice...

only the 520d/520d xDrive  appears to be available with a manual trans... pass.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Michael. said:

I like it, very nicely proportioned.

It does seem already dated, but in a good way... reminds me of 5 series of old for some reason. 

Agreed, Its like a modern take of an old look. I like it very much! :) 

Edited by BatMansWilly

16 minutes ago, Allanw said:

only the 520d/520d xDrive  appears to be available with a manual trans... pass.

:ph34r:

Yeah its a shame, How ever they haven't released the specs on the m5 yet. So there is still hope but highly unlikely I would think :rolleyes:

The manual has been surpassed by the the DCT, it changes quicker and still gives the driver control. I am a bit nostalgic re the manual transmission but technology moves on and having driven a number of DCT boxes now I appreciate how good they are. The M5 promises to be a really good as it will finally break the 4 second barrier as its almost guaranteed to be 4WD. The new 550i will do it in under 4 which makes it theoretically faster than the outgoing M5. 

12 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

The manual has been surpassed by the the DCT, it changes quicker and still gives the driver control. I am a bit nostalgic re the manual transmission but technology moves on and having driven a number of DCT boxes now I appreciate how good they are. The M5 promises to be a really good as it will finally break the 4 second barrier as its almost guaranteed to be 4WD. The new 550i will do it in under 4 which makes it theoretically faster than the outgoing M5. 

I agree with you on the DCT boxes. But there is something about rolling though the gears in a manual, :) 

Why not just make manual an option and those of us who want it can have it! 

Edited by BatMansWilly

Yes I agree its feels good to change manually and that's the main thing that keeps it as an option on some cars. 

Interesting how there's an M550i rather than an m5 (as of yet)

Have been M550i / M550d available in other markets for some time, as well as the M5. Not for sale here in NZ though as those M Performance models are LHD only, although more and more (including the xDrive variants) are now becoming available in RHD thanks to the demand from other RHD markets like UK and Aussie.

M5 launches a year after the start of the rest of the range, and I wouldn't hold your breath for a manual.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Kopua Cowboy said:

Bloody good, in 10 years time these will all be worth 10grand and we'll all have one, can't wait

Yes in my opinion the greatest feature built into any BMW is how they get to the bottom of the bathtub curve so quick... the trick is to have one that will eventually climb out the other end...

• Like 1

wow those fuel figures are impressive for the amount of power available in each model! really impressed!

First impressions after driving the 530d model..

Positives, drives like a 5 Series should, very comfortable cruiser now with the benefit of the adaptive damper control can  be changed and pushed harder in Sports mode and it sticks. Interior quality and technology huge step forwards, too much to take in for just one drive. So quiet, even with the diesel motor, and plenty of grunt.

Only down side - hard to tell apart visually from the latest 7 Series! Not sure if this a bad thing, maybe for the 7 Series owners it is?

Being a typical BMW driver I don't always indicate, and when pulling back left on the motorway, as I hadn't indicated the car physically steered me back into the right lane which was a little bit unnerving as it took me surprised. Once I realised what was going on, and why it was doing it, I was happier!

Sure it will sell by the truck load in Europe and the US, but it will be interesting to see how many find homes in NZ due to our love affair with the X5 and SUVs.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 10:54 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

First impressions after driving the 530d model..

Being a typical BMW driver I don't always indicate, and when pulling back left on the motorway, as I hadn't indicated the car physically steered me back into the right lane which was a little bit unnerving as it took me surprised. Once I realised what was going on, and why it was doing it, I was happier!

really!? what would happen if say you had to swerve to avoid something on the road,would it swerve back into the lane.Is this enforced lane keeping?

5 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

really!? what would happen if say you had to swerve to avoid something on the road,would it swerve back into the lane.Is this enforced lane keeping?

Pretty sure it will automatically brake to stop you hitting the object.

Happened to a guy I know in a new merc. He got distracted while driving on the motorway in the rain and the computer stopped him rear ending a slow car that pulled out in front of him.

18 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

Good question! Yes, this is the lane deviation part of the system that activates on multi-lane roads, my example was on the motorway.

in terms of your example, short answer I don't know sorry. The collision avoidance would brake at some point, but I would like to think it has the "intelligence" to realise what you're trying to do and allow the swerve.