Sign in to follow this  
bradgalbraith

1998 E36 M3 3.2 Evo manual

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately the time has come to sell my M3. I'd love to keep it but due to financial circumstances I've put it up for sale.

-S50B32 321hp motor 
-Rebuilt Beisan Systems vanos (rattle kit + seals) 
-New valve cover gasket 
-Eibach coilovers and sway bars (certed) 
- BBS style 5 17x8 et20 wheels 
-2 x brand new Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres 
-New WOF 
-137xxx Miles not KMS (UK import) 
-Heated leather seats 
-6 speed manual transmission 
-Illuminated gear knob 
-Strut brace 
-LTW spoiler (original spoiler will come with the car) 
-New Sachs slave cylinder. 

Could go on and on with maintenance etc. Can provide receipts and a more comprehensive list of work for potential buyers. 

-The car currently has an issue where it does not rev up properly and perform as it should. I've been led to believe this is due to an O2 or Camshaft position sensor however I can't confirm this. 
- There's a half ping-pong ball sized dent in the rear below the right taillight (will add photos) as well as some minor rust in the front and rear guards. It's not a wof issue or anything however its worth mentioning and should be attended to in order to prevent it spreading. 

The car has just been sent in to a workshop to resolve the revving issue and also to get a new slave cylinder installed. The price listed is an AIWI price and I'm happy to negotiate with serious offers around my asking price. Price will go up once these are fixed.

Overall there are a few things to be done but as you'll all know these are becoming increasingly difficult to get your hands on- Don't miss out!

$14,000 ONO for bimmersport members.

M3 12.jpg

EZG365 E36 M3 photos (2).JPG

EZG365_E36_M3_photos_(3).JPG

M3 2.JPG

M3 5.JPG

• Like 1

Might be a silly question, but have you tried removing the cam sensors and checking for debris on the ends of them? One of mine was flithy (they are magnetic) and cleaning it cleared up some issues.

The one in my car (albeit a B30) that was filthy was the inlet cam sensor. The others were spotless, but this one was packed with gunk.

I think the B32 has the cam sensor in the same place, and it is possible to get the sensor out without dismantling anything. I used a short allen key and lots of wiggling to get it out.

• Like 1

Did you ever sort out the cam thing?

11 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Yes, timing has been set correctly now.

What was the problem in the end?

• Like 1

Bump. Make me a reasonable offer. I simply don't have time to take the car in and I need something to drive

1 hour ago, bradgalbraith said:

Bump. Make me a reasonable offer. I simply don't have time to take the car in and I need something to drive

So is the revving thing sorted? What was the fault?

No the revving issue hasn't been sorted, hence the price. I'd be asking more if that were the case. I'll upload a video of what its doing if I can. It seems to be overfueling as gas consumption is around 14l/100km and if you give it a lot of gas at idle it will bark and splutter, however, once its above ~1300rpm it revs alright. CPS? O2 sensor? I don't know, but I'm in need of a working car and money is needed elsewhere.. wouldn't be selling otherwise.

1 hour ago, bradgalbraith said:

No the revving issue hasn't been sorted, hence the price. I'd be asking more if that were the case. I'll upload a video of what its doing if I can. It seems to be overfueling as gas consumption is around 14l/100km and if you give it a lot of gas at idle it will bark and splutter, however, once its above ~1300rpm it revs alright. CPS? O2 sensor? I don't know, but I'm in need of a working car and money is needed elsewhere.. wouldn't be selling otherwise.

Have you had it scanned by someone with a decent scanner?

From a skeptical buyers viewpoint, I'm always wary of things being sold with known faults, is it simply the owner doesn't have time, or do they know more they don't want to let on... So I'd bargain down accordingly. I don't think that's the case here, but expect the cost of fixing the issue would be recovered by a stronger sale price when issue free.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Simply put, if you increase revs slowly there's no issue. If you punch it, it won't respond well.

video-1486968148.mp4

I wonder if its a vanos fault or a vacuum leak?

Scanning it with good gear and an experienced mechanic (like Glenn for example) should diagnose the problem.

Then you will be able to either get more money for the car, or be able to sell it quicker.

Yeah I understand where you guys are coming from. Maybe I will have to hold out for a proper diagnosis before selling. cheers

• Like 2

It's been scanned properly and VANOS timing was out. If that's been fixed it needs another scan. 

44 minutes ago, M3AN said:

It's been scanned properly and VANOS timing was out. If that's been fixed it needs another scan. 

Ahh vanos timing - I was pretty damn close with my internet diagnosis.

:D