Sign in to follow this  
Mikan

1971 2002 Touring project Wellington SOLD

Waving the white flag on my 2002 (technically a 2000) project - time for someone with more time/skill/money to have a go.

Writeup: http://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54962-1971-bmw-2002-touring-wellington/

$8500 ono.

Many thanks

CJ

20161121_103035.jpg

Edited by Mikan
Updating as sold

For those of us without old school account, could you please fill us in. Cheers

Apologies - I didn't realise it was hidden from non-members. Thanks for the heads up. 

Selling my BMW 2002 Touring project. Which wasn’t meant to be a project...$8,500.

I bought this 02 unseen in May for 6k off trademe from a bloke who had prepped it for rallying, but then stored it without racing it for years. I was more interested in getting it on the road. The vendor said it was complete, would have no troubles getting revinned and had no rust issues – sort of a ‘put the interior back together and go’ proposition.

Sadly it was far from complete. I have spent a way too much putting the brakes and suspension back to stock and sourcing all the trim, headliner and carpet. I bought an original gearbox and transmission tunnel as it had been modified to fit a 635 5 speed, which wouldn't get certed (the stock 4spd gearbox is currently out).

It had a roll cage, which wasn’t up to spec for motorsport (regs changed while it was in storage), which I have cut out. The seat platforms were removed at the time the cage was fitted, and rails for buckets were welded in. These are still in situ, but I have the panels and hardware for the seat platforms cut out of a wrecked car ready to weld back in.

I have returned the rear suspension arms to stock, and rebushed them after cleaning them up and repainting them. New bilstein hd struts in the front (matching the ones in the back) new upper strut bearings. New Brembo rotors on the front, and rebuilt stock calipers ready to go on. I had the rear brake drums surfaced, and installed new shoes and handbrake cables. I got the original brake servos rebuilt and they are sitting in a box all clean and nice. I had a cunifer hard brake line set made to original spec, this is still in the box too.

The car comes with new front and rear windscreen seals, lockstrips and lockstrip tool. New door seals, and a new hatch seal. The seals for the rear windows are out of production, but I have three seals from a sedan that are the same profile, and can be cut to fit.

I have a new headliner sewn to fit in the right vinyl, and a nice salt and pepper carpet kit cut and sewn specially. I spent time on ebay and forums tracking down all the belt, knee and rocker trim, though the mounting holes for all these will need to be redrilled as they were filled when it went in for panel and paint some years ago. If you cant be bothered with that, I have some adhesive ‘chrome’ in the same style to fake it. The bumpers are here, and there is a hardware kit to assemble the rear. There is a good condition dash supplied with the car – the one in there was cut up to fit the roll cage. Two complete sets of seats, spare bonnet, hatch (the spare hatch isn’t in great shape) two spare fenders, a spare engine, a spare gas tank, a pile of other stuff like extra doorcards and whatnot.

The engine starts and runs fine. The vendor said it had not much use since being rebuilt by sd european in Hamilton.

Carjam and nzta still have the car in their system. The vendor couldn’t find the plates, so I got them as personaliseds, they will come with it. I have receipts and correspondence from the vendor, nzta have confirmed he was the last registered owner so registering it should be ok.

I'm now seriously (inevitably, really) underwater on the car, having spent over 15k up to this point. I just can't go on pouring money into it, so I have to sell it. It has rust that will need attention, which I wish I had tackled first. The drivers footwell is the worst I could see – I got a replacement panel to swap in, along with the studs for the accelerator pedal. When I took it in to get the seat platforms put right and the footwell sorted though the shop identified rust in the passenger floor (front and rear) in a wheel well (guard?), the tow mount and in the roof too.

If someone is into these cars and can weld, or has contacts who can, there is good value in this. You don’t see many 02s, and even fewer Tourings these days. I get that there is still a way to go with the project, and the $$ could seem high in this respect. I know I might have to split it up, but I’d like to give it a shot at getting back on the road in the hands of someone who has skills other than buying parts off ebay, and I think listing it all together gives it the best chance

• Like 5

Hi there, I dont think I need another project, but I should at least come have a look.. Give me a call (next week) 021 744 881

Cheers...Stephen

• Like 2

Sold. Thanks for the interest, and thanks to the forum for hosting the classified and saving me from trademe. Hopefully I can contribute as an owner sometime in the future.

CJ

• Like 1

Congrats on the sale, hopefully the new owner is on here so we can follow the progress?

Thanks! The brave new owner is indeed a member here - I'll leave it to him to pipe up - but I have every confidence the car is in the right hands, and I'm equally keen to see it come together.

• Like 1