Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

Link G4 vs G4+

Howdy team,

As the E30 moves to forced induction I need a standalone engine management system. Being that my preferred tuner is very familiar with link ecu's that's what I'll be using.

I good deal for a G4 Storm has come up. Basically, is there anything I'll be missing out on and would need that the G4 can't offer? Is spending an extra $800 for a G4+ justifiable?

Car will be running M20B25 with B27 block, nothing crazy just new bearings, arp hardware etc. Not planning to have wasted spark or anything out of the ordinary. It'll pretty much just be a refreshed M20 with a turbo strapped on hopefully making around ~~350hp at ~~15psi

As far as I can gather. given that this build is pretty straightforward I will be fine with the G4

Appreciate any insight!

Configurable logging

On board knock

Some other newer options like traction control. Not sure if the storm has enough inputs for this. 

There used to be some webinar about it. 

13 hours ago, thorburn said:

Configurable logging

On board knock

Some other newer options like traction control. Not sure if the storm has enough inputs for this. 

There used to be some webinar about it. 

Cheers James,

Tried to find the webinar but all of the links seem to have expired, I suppose it has been awhile since the + has been around. I'll give my tuner a call and go from there. Even if I buy the ecu and don't end up using it I'm sure I won't have a hard time selling it on.

Are you comparing to the latest G4+ Storm, in the black case? As these have 8 inj & ign drivers, so you could run sequential injection and individual coils on a 6cyl.

With the older G4+ (silver/blue) and the G4 you only get 4 of each, which means group injection 3inj x 2 channel (same as the old L-jet), and wasted spark 2coils x 3 channels.
You can also do the same on the G4+ Atom for less $$, but with a few less aux input/outputs.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, E30-323ti said:

Are you comparing to the latest G4+ Storm, in the black case? As these have 8 inj & ign drivers, so you could run sequential injection and individual coils on a 6cyl.

With the older G4+ (silver/blue) and the G4 you only get 4 of each, which means group injection 3inj x 2 channel (same as the old L-jet), and wasted spark 2coils x 3 channels.
You can also do the same on the G4+ Atom for less $$, but with a few less aux input/outputs.

Didn't know the new ones had 8 ign and inj drives. Was referring to the blue G4+. Obviously I have a lot more research to do. 

You say wasted spark 2coils x 3channels. Wasted spark is something I am looking to do in the future, do you mean 3 coils x 3 channels?

Would like the extra aux outputs to give me some room to add things in the future. I think this G4 Storm is a goer. 

Edited by Kepes

5 hours ago, Kepes said:

Didn't know the new ones had 8 ign and inj drives. Was referring to the blue G4+. Obviously I have a lot more research to do. 

You say wasted spark 2coils x 3channels. Wasted spark is something I am looking to do in the future, do you mean 3 coils x 3 channels?

Would like the extra aux outputs to give me some room to add things in the future. I think this G4 Storm is a goer. 

Depends on the type of coils, but think you've got the jist.

If they are individual (say like a M50 or a *JZ or RB*) you will have 2 coils on each channel, of which you use 3 to run wasted spark.
If you get some twin output coils, '90s 6cyl fords/holdens have these as do the mitsi 4G63's (Evo/VR-4) & toyota 4A-GZE's, like the below, you only need 3 of them. Being dumb coils, you will also need a 3chl ignitor.

Once you've done all that it's almost cheaper buying 6 smart coils, which could still run in wasted spark configuration on an older G4/G4+ storm or new Atom.

On 1/18/2017 at 8:08 AM, E30-323ti said:

Depends on the type of coils, but think you've got the jist.

If they are individual (say like a M50 or a *JZ or RB*) you will have 2 coils on each channel, of which you use 3 to run wasted spark.
If you get some twin output coils, '90s 6cyl fords/holdens have these as do the mitsi 4G63's (Evo/VR-4) & toyota 4A-GZE's, like the below, you only need 3 of them. Being dumb coils, you will also need a 3chl ignitor.

Once you've done all that it's almost cheaper buying 6 smart coils, which could still run in wasted spark configuration on an older G4/G4+ storm or new Atom.

Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it. I went with the G4 Storm because the price was right (from trade me). Now to learn how to wire it to the motronic harness, a lot of learning to do! 

• Like 1

Good stuff!

Decent platform to build up from.
Keep us posted on your progress.