Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

What TOB for a M52 with Getrag 240?

Collecting the final piece of the puzzle for my E30 M52 swap. I'm using a Getrag 240 from a M40 engine. Have the single mass flywheel for an M20 and exedy clutch for the M20. 

Ive heard mixed opinions on what release bearing/throw out bearing to use. Some say the one for the M20 is fine, others say use the "Euro 323i" one as it is taller. 

Any help is appreciated. 

I've just got a stock Sachs clutch. Feel is as you'd expect, light. Doesn't take much travel on the pedal to engage. 

• Like 1

Cheers for that Nick. I had another perve at your build to see how you modified your selector/carrier rod but looks like you went a different route. I think I might shorten my 240 ones.

Bought a exedy m20 clutch kit today, just need to have the 6mm shaved from the block side of the flywheel. Exedy wouldn't do it. 

Did you use the M5x pilot bearing? 

I used the factory m20b20 selector/carrier rods. The difference being I snapped one of them. 

You'll need to take it to an engineering shop who can shave 6mm off, flywheel skimming is more like 0.006mm off.

Pilot bearing should match the input shaft diameter of your gearbox. Which is different between the getrag 240 vs 260. You'll need the getrag 240 one. Excedy should be able to sort one for you for under $10 locally. 

Awesome. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely doing my research but as you'd know there's a hectic amount of info online for the 24 valve swap. Half of it unfortunately contradicts the other. 

I couldn't find anything in your build talking about modifying the rear exhaust manifold to clear steering column. Or did the barina parts negate this? Huge relief if it does. 

Barina parts negated the need to do anything to the rear exhaust manifold.

• Like 1