Sign in to follow this  
Mark86

New from South Africa

Hey all,

Mark here. Currently in South Africa, but immigrating to NZ next month. Really looking forward to making NZ my families new home! Such a amazing country. 

I have always dreamed of building a e30 since I was a little kid. My father-in-law had a minter of a '89 e30 320i that just sat in his garage, tried to buy it from him for my first car but he was a d1ck and wouldn't let me. 

Anyway, decided that this year is my year to build my e30. But, before I do that I was hoping you all can help me. I have the option of bringing some parts over from SA that could work out alot cheaper. I am wanting a set of BBS RS and a set of widened steelies as well as coilovers. Can anyone shed some light on the costs of these in NZ? 

Oh and how does WOF and Rego work there? 

Cheers for now,

Mark86

• Like 2

Hey Mark, Welcome to the forum!

Good year to build an E30! I'm getting to work on my turbo build this year, what mods are you looking at doing for yours? Mind bringing me some coilovers too if it works out cheaper? ^_^

In terms of prices of things... Coilovers you're looking at minimum $1200 for some K-Sports, D2 or YellowSpeed. BBS RS in the correct stud pattern and offset assuming you're not doing a 5 stud conversion probably around $2000. Widened steelies.. There are D-Window steelies which have the correct offset and stud pattern I think they're around $600 for a set. (If anyone has a better idea of prices please correct me but I think this is somewhat accurate) Keep an eye on trademe.co.nz it'll give you an idea on prices.

Be wary bringing car stuff in as they may try and charge you GST (I think?) which is 15% of the items value. I think other people who are more in the know can chime in here... 

WOF checks whether or not your car is roadworthy. Every 6 months for an E30 and every car pre 2000 (?) or so. After 2000 it's an annual Check. Usually $30-$60 depending where you go. Things like whether your seatbelts operate, tyres have over 1.5mm tread, brakes do their job, no structural rust, safety features function (ABS, AIrbags etc), Lights are all working, Windows not cracked, bushings are not overly worn etc etc. Oh, coilovers or any adjustable suspension require your car to have a certification. I'm still learning about all this but it's a process that requires the whole car being checked over and it's quite strict and expensive (~$500). Any major power modifications (adding a turbo, engine swap etc) also require a cert. 

Registration must be kept up to date and the price is dependent on the vehicle. Can be renewed either at a post shop or online. My E30 costs $127 per year to be registered. My mum's 2000 Honda Accord costs $112 per year to give you an idea of the variation. 

That's all I can come up with atm! Where in NZ are you moving?

Edited by Kepes
  • Like 1

Hey Kepes,

Thanks for all the info. I don't plan on getting too heavy into modding yet. I follow a "less is more" oem approach. So I will for the time being just look at a decent set of wheels (or 2) and a decent set of coilovers. From there I plan on going through the whole car and replacing old parts for maintenance precaution (bushes etc), and then tackling any bodywork that needs sorting. Once I am happy with it I will be keen to dump a 325 in with either throttles or turbo. I knowledge is quite limited so it will be a very long process I would imagine.

Looking around SA you could get cheap coilovers (Jom) for around R5500.00 ($550) or XYZ for roughly R12000.00 ($1200.00). So pricing is quite similar. Steelies on the over hand are dirt cheap at around R2500.00 ($250) for 15" 4x100 7.5J/9J.

I will be bringing a container with household goods. No customs on anything older than 6 months so I would get away with additional costs.

Location wise I am hoping on getting employment in Hamilton as we have family there, otherwise I will be looking at Auckland. I am in marketing so will most likely find more offers in Auckland. Time will tell.

PS: you have a build thread I can follow?

Awe Mark! Welcome to the Forum bru! A fellow South African here originally from PMB, Natal is truely here. I would suggest sourcing a couple 325is drivelines and bringing them over with you bru. You could make some good money with them here especially the dog leg boxes which I know can be picked up for fockall! I am based in Auckland so when you come flick me a message and I will point you in the right direction to find an e30

44 minutes ago, Mark86 said:

Hey Kepes,

Thanks for all the info. I don't plan on getting too heavy into modding yet. I follow a "less is more" oem approach. So I will for the time being just look at a decent set of wheels (or 2) and a decent set of coilovers. From there I plan on going through the whole car and replacing old parts for maintenance precaution (bushes etc), and then tackling any bodywork that needs sorting. Once I am happy with it I will be keen to dump a 325 in with either throttles or turbo. I knowledge is quite limited so it will be a very long process I would imagine.

Looking around SA you could get cheap coilovers (Jom) for around R5500.00 ($550) or XYZ for roughly R12000.00 ($1200.00). So pricing is quite similar. Steelies on the over hand are dirt cheap at around R2500.00 ($250) for 15" 4x100 7.5J/9J.

I will be bringing a container with household goods. No customs on anything older than 6 months so I would get away with additional costs.

Location wise I am hoping on getting employment in Hamilton as we have family there, otherwise I will be looking at Auckland. I am in marketing so will most likely find more offers in Auckland. Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, EUROHO said:

Awe Mark! Welcome to the Forum bru! A fellow South African here originally from PMB, Natal is truely here. I would suggest sourcing a couple 325is drivelines and bringing them over with you bru. You could make some good money with them here especially the dog leg boxes which I know can be picked up for fockall! I am based in Auckland so when you come flick me a message and I will point you in the right direction to find an e30

Hey Bro, small world. I actually grew up in PMB. Moved to Dbn end of Primary school. Used to go to Bisley Park Primary School.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely look into that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark86 said:

Hey Bro, small world. I actually grew up in PMB. Moved to Dbn end of Primary school. Used to go to Bisley Park Primary School.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely look into that.

Wow small world indeed! I grew up in PMB and moved to NZ around 2003! I miss S.A sometimes but visit regularly! I grew up in Northdale haha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark86 said:

Hey Kepes,

And that's a good approach to take! I would like to maintain the oem look exterior wise too. Will be interested to hear what route you go down with coilovers and how you like the ones you pick. I'll probably use K-sports. 

Like SJ said, if you can bring in an LSD you'll likely be saving money. 

No build thread as of yet but I'll definitely start one once I begin the project. Anyway, good luck with the move and everything and look forward to hearing about your build once it's underway. Plenty of help here so if you've got questions just ask :~)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kepes said:

And that's a good approach to take! I would like to maintain the oem look exterior wise too. Will be interested to hear what route you go down with coilovers and how you like the ones you pick. I'll probably use K-sports. 

Like SJ said, if you can bring in an LSD you'll likely be saving money. 

No build thread as of yet but I'll definitely start one once I begin the project. Anyway, good luck with the move and everything and look forward to hearing about your build once it's underway. Plenty of help here so if you've got questions just ask :~)

Shot bro. I will most likely go XYZ as I have had experience with them. Looking forward to your thread.

Hey Mark, we're also from South Africa (Cape Town). Been living in NZ (Wellington) nearly 10 years. Bought my 1st BMW, a 1990 E30 325iS, sold it for next to nothing (didn't realise its value) to buy a 1993 E36 325i, it was stolen in Joburg. In 2003 I bought a 1998 E36 328i and loved every second in it. Since moving to NZ in 2007 we have owned a 1995 E36 325i, then a 2005 E46 330i, now a 1995 E36 328i again. How I miss my 1990 E30 325iS!

I would suggest you bring with you whatever you can (I should have brought my '98 328i over which is German imported. In NZ most cars, BMWs included are "Jap crap" - as my Kiwi mates call it :D) as the prices here for parts are much higher than what it is in South Africa. And as I said, most cars here are Japanese imports, so not as high a quality as the German assembled/imports we/you get in South Africa.

I would love to have my current '95 E36 328i BMW converted from auto to manual, but quotes are crazy expensive! :(

Again, try to bring over as much as you can. In the long run it will save you money when you do start with your project in NZ. All the best.

Charl

1 hour ago, viskop said:

And as I said, most cars here are Japanese imports, so not as high a quality as the German assembled/imports we/you get in South Africa.

I would love to have my current '95 E36 328i BMW converted from auto to manual, but quotes are crazy expensive! :(

Again, try to bring over as much as you can. In the long run it will save you money when you do start with your project in NZ. All the best.

Charl

The Japanese Market BMWs are not made in Japan, as is a common misconception down here.  They're made for the Japanese market, in the other manufacturing plants such as Munich, Regensburg, Dingolfing, etc. depending on model.  As an example, my '02 e46 Touring is Japanese market, and was made in Regensburg.

It's as much an issue with deferred maintenance (or in the case of e36's - the GM transmission rather than the ZF of other markets) that earns the used Japanese market imports a bad rep... and after 15 years here, they're either neglected (continuing the Kiwi tradition of deferred neglect/no maintenance) or resolved (through remedial maintenance) by careful owners.  ;)

/rant

• Like 2

Just now, Olaf said:

The Japanese Market BMWs are not made in Japan, as is a common misconception down here.  They're made for the Japanese market, in the other manufacturing plants such as Munich, Regensburg, Dingolfing, etc. depending on model.  As an example, my '02 e46 Touring is Japanese market, and was made in Regensburg.

It's as much an issue with deferred maintenance (or in the case of e36's - the GM transmission rather than the ZF of other markets) that earns the used Japanese market imports a bad rep... and after 15 years here, they're either neglected (continuing the Kiwi tradition of deferred neglect/no maintenance) or resolved (through remedial maintenance) by careful owners.  ;)

/rant

Thanks for clearing that for me, Olaf. I was told that Jap imports were assembled in Japan, hence the poor quality of especially the interiors, but thanks again for clarifying. As for the Beemers I have owned and do own, I service my BMW myself and do it at least every 6 months, or 5000km. :)

Just a warning, if bringing something over ensure it is 100% rust free. Otherwise it'll cost you s fortune to get legal here.

I had this issue when I brought by UK RX-3 home with me. They wanted it completely stripped back. Probably looking at a $20g resto.

• Like 1

Thanks for a all the advice guys, appreciate it. I will have to see what space I have available in the container before deciding on bringing anything extra.

On another note. What are the countries regulations on modifying cars. Can I slam the crap out of a car or is there a limit?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark86 said:

Thanks for a all the advice guys, appreciate it. I will have to see what space I have available in the container before deciding on bringing anything extra.

On another note. What are the countries regulations on modifying cars. Can I slam the crap out of a car or is there a limit?

there is a legal limit of 100mm off the ground for the lowest point of the vehicle (excluding bumpers,skirts etc,Including chassis,diff,etc), if you use adjustable suspension you will have to have your vehicle inspected by a LVV (Low Volume Vehicle) certifier, this also applies for other modifications to engine capacity,engine mounts,suspensions,seatbelts, exhaust, blah blah list goes on bru, Good news is I will be going for training to become and LVV certifier this year :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EUROHO said:

there is a legal limit of 100mm off the ground for the lowest point of the vehicle (excluding bumpers,skirts etc,Including chassis,diff,etc), if you use adjustable suspension you will have to have your vehicle inspected by a LVV (Low Volume Vehicle) certifier, this also applies for other modifications to engine capacity,engine mounts,suspensions,seatbelts, exhaust, blah blah list goes on bru, Good news is I will be going for training to become and LVV certifier this year :)

Sweet! You going to be my new BFF, haha