Sign in to follow this  
fengqiu

Is this worth the buy?

Hi all.

I'm new and was really hoping to get an E30. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I saw this on trademe today

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1230883217

I'm looking for a weekend car, something fun and zippy. Not too much track stuff. I was wondering if it's worth getting this?

Thanks!

welcome, Adam.  The place to start would normally be in the "new members intro" thread (or whatever it's called).  So, to your query.  The 325i you've linked to looks pretty spartan, no carpets, race seat... the seller states he's selling to build an e36 that is more road than race... inferring his e30 is more race than road. And it's listed in the Competition Cars section.  WoF is long expired - and one wonders if the brakes have been certed.  

Looks like a cool car, not so sure it meets your idea of "fun and zippy" and "not too much track stuff".  It's probably very zippy, and a bunch of fun.  It is on Koni adjustables and Toyo R888s, so it should go round corners well (ref also Hampton Downs times).  We need to get an idea of what fun means to you.  One man's fun is another man's agony!

Perhaps you could give us an idea of how much motorsport you're thinking of participating in?

cheers 

• Like 1

ooooh snap I didn't read the wof and rego properly. dang... you're right dude, I'll wait to see what he says about cert and stuff

1 hour ago, qube said:

if weekend car then consider this LHD one?

Ahh I saw that! while it's awesome, I think it's a tad outside of my budget :(

It's only $3k more than the 325i you posted and is a much better bet for a week-end car.

that 325i has been up for sale a loong time. It's too stripped for a road car but not caged for a race car.

look after that 328i and it will go up in value, the only way the 325 will be worth more is to Spend big$$$ on it.

the LHD one is only asking 13k for members. not 15k as advertised on trademe

Ahh I see, well I think I'ld need to think about it. Actually I didn't want to spend so much on one. 

What's the sort of price of a near-stock 325i Sedan and Coupe?

12 hours ago, fengqiu said:

What's the sort of price of a near-stock 325i Sedan and Coupe?

well, take a well-maintained good running e36, add about $3k scene tax, some mods that you may or may not like, and you're in the ballpark for an e30!  :ph34r:

Seriously Adam, you'll help us help you by considering what you want, and explaining it to us.  If you're in a rush to find an e30, there's plenty out there.  On the other hand, determining your needs/wants and your criteria, will make recommending a car to you - that should suit your needs - so much easier.

HTH

If you are looking for an E30 325i sedan in reasonable condition with no issues, probably in the $5k - $7k range.

A couple in the same condition would be a bit more probabty the $6k - $8k region. That is why I question the pricing on the 325i "race car" on TradeMe, I can't see the added value.

As Olaf says, an E36 would be a cheaper option, but then, well it is an E36.

Heya guys,

OH okay cool thanks. Really I'm after a e30 325i , preferably sedan, I would actually prefer stock-ish maybe with a bit of tasteful mods or something .

I'll be patient and wait for something to turn up :)

Cheers!

With an E30, you want to buy the one with the best "bones" to start with. Don't worry about mods or aesthetics. Rust is a killer, if it's managed to get hold.

We Sold Dads E30 this time last year:

There was one sold prior to Dads for $10K on trademe, $1 reserve... had an ///M badge though :lol:

First caller was some retard who said it was old and would need money spent on it and offered about $6K - I said I'd get back to him, and didn't.

Second caller said he'd take it sight-unseen, paid that night for $8K - no questions. I had to make an effort to tell him the faults. Older guy, wanted a good, stock, looked after one for his collection. His Daughter and Son-in-law collected it, and were truly amazed by it's condition.

It wasn't immaculate, but was amazing for the age and mileage.

The thing with E30's, is the ones that have been dicked with aren't desirable, so are cheap - they always will be. A well modified one can be worth a lot, but it costs a lot to do them right and that reflects in the price.

If it's cheap, and looks like a shitter, it's only going to go downhill from there - some really are dogs.

I just got myself a 325i!

I believe it's from a member on here.

Anyway thanks for the great advice

See you out there!

• Like 2