Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

WTB: Getrag 420G (E34/9 6spd box)

Hey folks, Chasing a Getrag 420G gearbox for a friends E34 540i. Either box alone or complete conversion.

Must be some rocking horse sh*t scrapings around?

Also recommend using eBay and importing yourself. Did that for mine, be prepared to pay 2k+

• Like 2

by the time you get the box in from overseas , new clutch and flywheel (cant really use an old worn out dual mass one)

RHD pedals , new master and slave units , modified driveshaft etc , expect to be paying around $6k ??

I have a 6 speed from an E46 S54 M3 .   There are several options so it might be worthwhile giving me a call on 021 449 242.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wrs said:

Wouldn't this fit?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/gear-boxes/auction-1242998507.htm

This is a 420G - I have one of these in my E36 but isn't it the same box as the 540?

different bellhousing shape

see below V8 and 6 cyl types

v8_m60_box.bmp

v8 m60 box 2.JPG

v8 m60 box 4.JPG

v8_m60_box_2.bmp

v8 gearbox m5 6 speed 5.jpg

248450699.jpg

v8 gearbox 6 speed 4.jpg

P1160281.JPG

Edited by BM WORLD

Ah, bugger. It's the same box though isn't it, just a different bell housing (which is integrated into the front section of the box)?

Yes same box just different bell housings. I have heard of people cutting the front part off then getting the front part of a v8 bell housing (from a auto box) then having it welded on to the rest of the bell housing. They also run plates from the front of the bell housing to the rear so its quite strong. Just an idea! :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FIAT 131R said:

I have a 6 speed from an E46 S54 M3 .   There are several options so it might be worthwhile giving me a call on 021 449 242.

Do you have any M60 boxes? Will give you a call this week.

22 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

Haha, yea He'd love to, so would I. However transport down south and the fact he already has a very tidy 540, I think he'll go the conversion route.

1 hour ago, Dn540 said:

Do you have any M60 boxes? Will give you a call this week.

Haha, yea He'd love to, so would I. However transport down south and the fact he already has a very tidy 540, I think he'll go the conversion route.

simple buy cheap plane ticket , fly up and have a awesome road trip back down:)

then sell the 540ia , im telling you will be a lot cheaper and less hassle in the long run

have converted a couple of e34 540i etc and its not a cheap exercise

• Like 2

^^^^   I have just ordered one of the adapter plates.   Let's just say it was far from the easiest international transaction I have undertaken.  If I was paid on a frustration level I would be rich.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FIAT 131R said:

^^^^   I have just ordered one of the adapter plates.   Let's just say it was far from the easiest international transaction I have undertaken.  If I was paid on a frustration level I would be rich.

Including shipping and taxes, what was the total in nzd?

2 hours ago, FIAT 131R said:

yeah spoke to a customee of mine, he got one too , major hassles and delays

7 hours ago, zero said:

Including shipping and taxes, what was the total in nzd?

It was 308 euro but that was just to get it to the UK.   That's $480 NZ.   There is then freight from the UK to NZ plus all the fees like inspection fees, import fees on top and GST.   It won't be a cheap exercise.   I have a V8 auto transmission front section arriving in a couple of days from the US and with modifications will enable the E46 M3 6 speed to fit the M62 engine.  Will be interesting to see which is the easiest to go with.

Brent is there any chance your customer could send me a text so I can have a chat to him.   I have been asked a question by the supplier.   With English being their second language I haven't got a bloody clue what they are asking and they haven't responded to my request for clarification.

Geoff

021 449 242