Sign in to follow this  
Cracked320

Cracked Head e91 320i - worth?

Firstly, sorry that this has to be my first post here - have read many threads here and have often been assisted by reading your thoughts and repair explanations. 

once again I need a bit of help. After owning a 2007 e91 320i station wagon for four months I have just had a mechanic tell me that there is a small crack in the head gasket that will require an engine swap at an estimated cost of $5700. I do not want to go forward with this as it's simply not worth it for us. 

From what I have read it seems a new engine for this car will cost about $1600 - it seems to me that there is a good chunk of change to be made for the person who has the skill and time to engine swap themselves. (Not me) 

we have been offered $2000 as a trade in and my gut says we should be able to get more with a private sale, any ideas how much? 

Other car info:

just had new thermostat, new coolant housing, recent radiator swap, 158,000 (approx) ks, I drive, great clean body and very tidy interior for its k's. 

ANY help here much appreciated!

Is it the n46 motor?

If so, trade the car in as quick as you can and buy a six cylinder

1 hour ago, Cracked320 said:
4 minutes ago, zero said:

Is it the n46 motor?

If so, trade the car in as quick as you can and buy a six cylinder

Yup, It is the n46. I have decided that I will be getting rid of the car (knowing what I now know about this motor.) just wondering whether it is worth more than $2k as everything else on the car is perfect.

It is definitely worth more than 2k but not a whole lot more.

I have a nice 325i (6 cylinder engine) E91 wagon for sale if you are interested. a good alternative to the problematic 4 cylinder engine 320i model.