Sign in to follow this  
viskop

"New" member, Windy Wellington.

Hey gents (and ladies, if there are any), I actually signed up to bimmersport.co.nz in March 2016, but due to loooong working hours I really have not been on this site at all.

We're originally from South Africa (migrated here in 2007) and we love NZ. Yes, we miss our families every day and SA, but we love it here, with Wellington's wind and all. I do, as I believe all/most people on here, love my BMW cars. I also love almost everything motorcar-related.

When we lived in South Africa, my 1st BMW was a 1990 E30 325iS (South African 325iS comes with a 2.7L engine) which I sold for next to nothing, as I did not know that it was worth a lot more, hence the reason why the chap who bought it from me, grabbed it immediately without asking any questions. That's now water under the bridge. I then bought my 2nd BMW, a 1993 E36 325i auto. After it was stolen in Johannesburg, I bought a 1998 E36 328i manual, and I loved every second in that car. Sadly left it behind (sold it) when we moved here to NZ. Bought our 1st BMW here in early 2008, it was a 1995 E36 325i auto, then bought a 2005 E46 330i, then sold that and now I drive a 1995 E36 328i auto. I miss my 1990 E30, but my wife misses the E46 330. :-)

My dream BMW would be the E30 333i box shape. Google them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E30)#333i

My current BMW started out as a normal E36 328 (first 2 pics), but have since had a make over (body only - see last 2 pics) with a Motorsport body kit (and side skirts, but don't have a pic of the full completion yet).

Only wish I could afford to have it converted to manual...sigh...why are conversions and manual Beemers so expensive in NZ? :)

P1060880.JPG

P1060881.JPG

P1070235.JPG

P1070238.JPG

• Like 3

Oh, the body makeover project started out with the 18" mags...:D

Nice car and interesting to read your history. There seems to be the odd SA car on tradme. Must be a few expats bringing them over.

Keep an ear to the ground re: manual conversions. No way they should cost $1g. That's wrecker inflated prices imo.

Where bouts in Welly are you? I'm in Kapiti but work in town.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Hi Hayden, Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure about the SA cars that are on trademe, as to how they got here, but you could be on the money. As for manual conversions, there a chap on trademe who is selling a full manual getrag gearbox for $1100 (and $1550+ for ZF). A chap on Facebook here in the Hutt has quoted around $800+ for doing the job (I don't have the knowledge). Then I am aware that one can't just go ahead and do the conversion as sometimes the computer does not "talk" to the gearbox, or vice versa.

We live in Grenada Village and I work in Wellington CBD in Willis Street.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Welcome Charl and look forward to meeting you at the next meet!

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. Looking forward to the next meeting. :-)

• Like 1

On 22 January 2017 at 9:00 PM, viskop said:

Hi Hayden, Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure about the SA cars that are on trademe, as to how they got here, but you could be on the money. As for manual conversions, there a chap on trademe who is selling a full manual getrag gearbox for $1100 (and $1550+ for ZF). A chap on Facebook here in the Hutt has quoted around $800+ for doing the job (I don't have the knowledge). Then I am aware that one can't just go ahead and do the conversion as sometimes the computer does not "talk" to the gearbox, or vice versa.

We live in Grenada Village and I work in Wellington CBD in Willis Street.

Cheers.

might have been me you asked to do it i seem to recall it. i have most if not all of a get rag 220 manual conversion kit here, you can PM me if interested.

no modules to code on the E36 when converting to Manual, technically the DME should be flashed to tell it its a Manual now instead of an Auto, or you could fit a non-EWS Manual DME to it, but really its unnecessary expenditure unless you have cruise control and/or traction control which is rare anyway

• Like 1

Hi Andy, the chap I was in contact with on FB is a Nikolas Davies. As for the manual conversion, yes I am very eager. After nearly 10 years in NZ I still drive my auto with my left hand on the gears. Money is the only concern. Also, I will most likely have to do something with the auto gearbox as it jerks (not always, but most of the time) when it goes into 2nd. It has been doing it since I first bought the car for my son 3+ years ago. Thanks.

Yes the jerk to 2nd gear is somewhat 'un-BMW', but very common in E36 and E34s from Japan. Although it doesn't feel right it is very common, you will get another 100,000km if not more out of it like that. 

Interesting that the number plate on your car in the photo is now registered to a 130i, i presume those photos are from an old owner perhaps?

will check what the G220 kit i have here needs later on this afternoon. technically a 328i should have a ZF gearbox however a G220 will work , just different internal ratios, depends on your final drive ratio if it is compatible with your car without necessitating that being swapped as well.

My 328i has nearly 158000km on the clock, so not sure when 2nd gear started jerking. As for the number plate, it was on this 328i when I bought it for my son (Bryan) 3 or 4 years ago. He then bought himself the 130i about a year ago and has taken the plates from, his then 328i, and put it on his 130i. I took the 328i over from Bryan and the 328i now has new plates. If you checkout Bryan's profile (LaBimmer I think is his profile name) then you'll see many pics of what he's done over the last year and a half with both BMWs. :-)

I would also prefer to have a ZF gearbox for the 328i...

On 29 January 2017 at 10:20 AM, viskop said:

I would also prefer to have a ZF gearbox for the 328i...

I agree

• Like 1

Hi & welcome to the site

Firstly I need to let you know, you live in my old house!!

i drive past almost daily & have been meaning to stop in, there is also another BMW nutt up the road further, who appears to have three cars including a nice dark blue e30

Regards

Barry

Edited by Barryn
Spelling
  • Like 2

Thank you Barry. Small world, aye. We bought the house about 4 years ago. The chap with the E30 has it listed on TM and I think he originally wanted $6000+, but now wants $5000. Pity it's a 320...and pity it's not manual.

Cheers,

Charl

On 30/01/2017 at 5:42 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

I agree

Hi Andy, I see w.industries on TM has listed a complete ZF manual gearbox starting/reserve at $1400, but suggests that one buys a "new clutch, throwout bearing and spigot bearing", and he mentions that "if you are after a ZF you will want a performance clutch so the factory Dual mass will be a waste of time, Speed factor & NZAD have a nice m3 size performance clutch for a good price."

I've been on both Speed Factor and NZAD's websites, but have no idea what to look for. Do you (or anyone else) perhaps have an idea of what those new items (new performance clutch, throwout bearing and spigot bearing) may price? If this is not too much, then I might be tempted to go ahead. But if too much, then I'll just live with it.

Cheers,

Charl

Just now, viskop said:

Hi Andy, I see w.industries on TM has listed a complete ZF manual gearbox starting/reserve at $1400, but suggests that one buys a "new clutch, throwout bearing and spigot bearing", and he mentions that "if you are after a ZF you will want a performance clutch so the factory Dual mass will be a waste of time, Speed factor & NZAD have a nice m3 size performance clutch for a good price."

I've been on both Speed Factor and NZAD's websites, but have no idea what to look for. Do you (or anyone else) perhaps have an idea of what those new items (new performance clutch, throwout bearing and spigot bearing) may price? If this is not too much, then I might be tempted to go ahead. But if too much, then I'll just live with it.

Cheers,

Charl

Nick (W.industries) is excellent to deal with. He imports cars (M3's) from the UK and wrecks them, I've had one of his gearboxes in one of my cars and no issues.

Clutch kit can be had for roughly $1100 from NZAD (including pressure plate/flywheel I believe but I may be wrong).
Also recommend replacing gearbox oil (as if it's imported he has to drain them anyway) with Redline D4 ATF, shifts like butter.

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 1

Just now, Rubix said:

Nick (W.industries) is excellent to deal with. He imports cars (M3's) from the UK and wrecks them, I've had one of his gearboxes in one of my cars and no issues.

Clutch kit can be had for roughly $1100 from NZAD (including pressure plate/flywheel I believe but I may be wrong).
Also recommend replacing gearbox oil (as if it's imported he has to drain them anyway) with Redline D4 ATF, shifts like butter.

Wow! Thank you, really appreciate your reply. That is way over my budget! Sigh...suppose I'll just have to live with the auto. Thanks again.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

no modules to code on the E36 when converting to Manual, technically the DME should be flashed to tell it its a Manual now instead of an Auto, or you could fit a non-EWS Manual DME to it, but really its unnecessary expenditure unless you have cruise control and/or traction control which is rare anyway

Recoding isnt "needed" as such, but when mine was converted it still had the Auto DME, and mine, like others, had a bad rev hang when changing gears. You get used to it, but i would recommend recoding.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:55 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Yes the jerk to 2nd gear is somewhat 'un-BMW', but very common in E36 and E34s from Japan. Although it doesn't feel right it is very common, you will get another 100,000km if not more out of it like that.

I wouldnt guarantee it. Mine had the jatco jerk and within a couple of thousand KM, including a trip fully loaded from CHCH to WGTN, the trans decided to give up and slip really badly and the jerk got to a point where i couldnt trust it to change gear crossing an intersection.

Anyway, welcome to the club/forum, Charl. The E36 are great cars, and you will love it if/when you convert to manual, it completely transforms the car. Well worth the money.

• Like 1

yes about at thousand.

And yep agree with ya Kelvin.

On 2/02/2017 at 8:33 AM, KwS said:

Recoding isnt "needed" as such, but when mine was converted it still had the Auto DME, and mine, like others, had a bad rev hang when changing gears. You get used to it, but i would recommend recoding.

I wouldnt guarantee it. Mine had the jatco jerk and within a couple of thousand KM, including a trip fully loaded from CHCH to WGTN, the trans decided to give up and slip really badly and the jerk got to a point where i couldnt trust it to change gear crossing an intersection.

Anyway, welcome to the club/forum, Charl. The E36 are great cars, and you will love it if/when you convert to manual, it completely transforms the car. Well worth the money.

Hi Kelvin. Thanks, appreciate your reply. :)

I should have shipped my manual E36 1998 328i over from South Africa to NZ when we migrated here nearly 10 years ago. :(

If you keep an eye out you'll likely find a manual E36 fairly cheap. I got mine for a steal, although it needed work it hasn't cost me bugger all in total. 

Its all just a waiting game.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lucan said:

If you keep an eye out you'll likely find a manual E36 fairly cheap. I got mine for a steal, although it needed work it hasn't cost me bugger all in total. 

Its all just a waiting game.

It's the waiting that annoys me. But you hit the nail on the head...I just have to wait and be very patient. The ZF manual gearboxes currently on TM are just too pricey for me. The other downside is that there are so many guys out there keeping an eye out for that bargain....

I often wanted to convert my E36 to manual but the cost and the desire for an E46 stopped me. Sad fact is the price of a conversion is due to the old supply and demand factor. High demand low supply; sellers market. If the Japs actually drove manuals then perhaps that would be different.  

• Like 2

On February 10, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Herbmiester said:

...sellers market...

I agree to a point, but the ones on TM don't appear to be selling.

• Like 1