Sign in to follow this  
gjm

How long do you spend travelling to work?

10 seconds from the bedroom to the home office, 15 seconds if I stop to pat the dog.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, eliongater said:

Ahh, cool, thanks for enlightening me. I've never come across one of those but then the E6x has never been on my radar in any shape or form.

I've spent too much of my life driving for / to / from work. Even when it is a company car and all paid for, it is a big chunk of your life. Better these days in that you can work whilst in the car, but certainly wouldn't want to consider a long commute, time wise, every day. With the technology available there is little or no reason why you can't work at least part of the week from home with the majority of jobs.

17 hours ago, eliongater said:

Bit OT, but it's my thread! ;)

Mercedes responded in 2000 with the OM628 - a 4.0 V8. This was superceded by the OM629 in 2010 which made up to 400hp and 900Nm of torque, and was developed further for use as an aircraft engine.

Mercedes also produced V10, V12, V16 and V20 diesels.

51 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I've spent too much of my life driving for / to / from work. Even when it is a company car and all paid for, it is a big chunk of your life. Better these days in that you can work whilst in the car, but certainly wouldn't want to consider a long commute, time wise, every day. With the technology available there is little or no reason why you can't work at least part of the week from home with the majority of jobs.

I agree - a long commute is not a good thing.

It's a tough call... Should I look at the long commute and (hopeful) remote working, or settle for buying a house we're not going to be so happy in, but means I spend less time travelling?

think the solution is to suck up the commute for now, and find alternative employment that will mean less time in the car.

We spent a while doing daily commute North London to Reading and beyond, each day.  Driving A406 - A40 - M40 - M25 - M4 ... and then my SO took the train further west.  providing we hit the North Circular no later than 6.20am, I'd have her at Reading in time for a train just after 0700.  Returning home could take 3 hours on a bad day.    So we'd rock in at 7pm-ish, get some dinner, watch a little TV, early to bed, up early to rinse and repeat the next day.  We realised we were having no life, and as the snow fell and the afternoon traffic worsened, the penny dropped.  Long commute: "madness".

OTOH another friend (earlier example of living a long way out from London) used his 2.5 hr train commute each way to study and pass his masters degree, so it's not all bad.

We're spoilt in NZ generally being able to live close to work and not spending half our lives in traffic (you lot in Auckland excepted, obviously :ph34r:)...

1 hour ago, gjm said:

think the solution is to suck up the commute for now, and find alternative employment that will mean less time in the car.

sound as a pound, old son.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2017 at 3:51 PM, eliongater said:

There are diesel V8 BMWs ;)

And  BMW V8 powered Range Rovers....

got sick of the 5.2km 10 minute commute from my old house, so brought one a bit closer, 2km and 3 minutes away. would be quicker if i didn't have about a dozen speed bumps, shift up to third and leave it there the whole way.

but a quiet day is 120km on the road once clocked in, can be up to 5-600km or more so once i clock out i need the shortest distance to travel possible between my desk at work and the beer fridge at home.

• Like 2

Some of your commutes are so easy.   I have to travel about 30 metres in a straight line.   Because of the shape of the road I have to travel about 20 times that distance to get there.  I haven't timed it yet or checked fuel consumption as I am too busy during the commute thinking about what I have to do for the day.

• Like 3

My current commute is 2.7kms from Waiwhetu to Seaview - and around three minutes, which barely warms the car up. I'm hoping to walk it and am nearly at the point where I'll give it a go (there are medical reasons why it's a little more challenging than the norm, but I'll get there).

Currently, we have in a tiny ex-state shoebox which we've added a little value to in recent years and are now upsizing... once we've built a new place in Whitby (for similar reasons as outlined in OP, I'm mid 40's, so we want low maintenance and a little more space, warmth, mod cons), my commute will be around 45kms, much of which will be open road (yay).

I live about 5 minutes drive outside of Wanganui. I work for the Government and the commute to work is 3.4k's. Takes a few minutes on a bad day..lol

I walk or ride 1.4 miles.  Work has a bar that stocks NZ wine and beer which makes it a relaxed trip home.

I just have to watch out for Deer and Squirrels running in front of me and Marine 1 landing.

• Like 1

8-10k, 10-15mins, clear across town. Life's too short for a long commute.

• Like 2

At the moment (and there are exceptions) it seems that those near Auckland typically travel further and/or longer than those anywhere else in the country. I was going to say that was to be expected, but is it, really? We know why, but unless you live here it is more likely to come as a surprise.

Hobsonville > Takapuna, wake up at 6.40, am at work by 7.40, 16km total.
BIke takes roughly half that time, don't have to go any back route, just lane split down the motorway.

12 hours ago, gjm said:

At the moment (and there are exceptions) it seems that those near Auckland typically travel further and/or longer than those anywhere else in the country. I was going to say that was to be expected, but is it, really? We know why, but unless you live here it is more likely to come as a surprise.

I did live there once...

Glenfield to Khyber Pass: Leaving 15 minutes later, meant I arrived 1 hour later than having left on time.

Don't think many people are suprised - after visiting once, most people know how it works (or doesn't), and I'm sure most people have been once :-)

Semi related: In 1998, I had a VW Kombi customer say he was going to Auckland for a wedding. He asked us for directions from Whangarei. We said "err...head south, keep going". Turns out last time he'd been down, was 1972 :D

On 1/30/2017 at 10:47 AM, Driftit said:

I walk or ride 1.4 miles.  Work has a bar that stocks NZ wine and beer which makes it a relaxed trip home.

I just have to watch out for Deer and Squirrels running in front of me and Marine 1 landing.

Is there anything not epic about this post?

On 1/30/2017 at 10:24 PM, M3AN said:

Is there anything not epic about this post?

It's a strange place.  Nearly ran over a squirrel that did the old left right left right dodge on me.  Ended up locking the brakes across the front lawn of the naval observatory (where the VP lives).
Later that night after a bit of a session at the embassy bar I walked into a deer (whilst txting) that was grazing on the lawn of the Brit embassy which is next door to ours.  We both got a fright.
And many times I get held up buy the VP's motorcade or his helicopter landing.  But his chopper is actually Airforce 2 not Marine 1 sorry. 

Got chased off the track in the park behind the embassy by a big ass stag the other week too.  It's illegal to hunt in DC.  So the deer are everywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

...I walked into a deer ...

Enough said.

Sounds like the start of a very good joke..

Well it was 20deg C here on Wednesday night walking home.  And tonight it was snowing at 0deg C.  The weather here is nuts.