Sign in to follow this  
gjm

How long do you spend travelling to work?

Distance, and time.

How far is it? How long does it take?

I currently drive 60km each way, with a Google maps estimated journey time of 45 minutes. Of course, it has taken me 40 minutes to get from Papatoetoe to Papakura on occasion... :angry:
When discussing where we might move to, some people at work were shocked by the distance I currently travel. Then they realised that their journeys took at least as long, despite teh distance being very much shorter.

my commute is 24 km each way and takes half an hour if that.I go the opposite way to most and rarely have any hold ups/

Edited by kiwi535

45kms in 35mins each way everyday. Hopefully next year will be 3 kms, 5mins. The commute isn't bad, it's just the petrol bill thats frustrating. Using twice as much as when I was in town.

8.9 to 10.5kms (depdending on route). Shortest is not always fastest.

Car = 12 to 15 in, and 20 to 25 home.

E-bike = 17 to 20 in, 25 to 30 home.

From my place to work, I have to navigate around (+up and down, up and down, etc) an extinct volcano AND go to the opposite side of town.

I leave home at 5-20AM, and leave work between 2 and 3PM, depending on the day.

If it wasn't for the school and kindy we're zoned for / near, I'd thought about moving closer :lol:

5 minutes ago, Allanw said:

If it wasn't for the school and kindy we're zoned for / near, I'd thought about moving closer :lol:

This is a problem I'm sure a lot of people have to deal with - we have. It continues... Miss M starts Uni next month, but will want to come home at weekends or we might look at moving to Taranaki.

• Like 1

Approx 25kms each way. Mon-Thurs its about 40min each way. Fridays @ 25 mins each way give or take :-)

26KM, about 25 minutes driving without traffic or 1 hour on the train including walking to/from the stations

mine's 36kms each way.  takes about 40-45 mins.  Although I'm "going against the traffic", SH2 is pretty congested with plonkers sitting on 90 or 95 in the outside lane.  Often congested around petone (north or southbound), and Ngauranga off-ramp (southbound).  A good day would be 35 mins, though these are few and far between, and is both traffic volume and traffic-light phasing dependent.

I much preffered last year, where I walked to work in 36-39 mins, and walked home (higher pace) with a variety of routes.  Or caught the bus.  Same home, different workplace**

I'm finding the fuel bill surprising, I'm not driving on "economy run" settings, nor am I fanging it... stil go through $80 in what seems like "no time".  A diesel or V8 beckons.  A number of my friends are saying combine the two and get a diesel V8 landcruiser.

** reminds me of a song by Was not Was...

"I was transferred to the moon.  Worse pay, better hours.

I was transferred to the moon.  Worse pay, better fellow workers..."

Edited by Olaf

1 hour ago, gjm said:

This is a problem I'm sure a lot of people have to deal with - we have. It continues... Miss M starts Uni next month, but will want to come home at weekends or we might look at moving to Taranaki.

Rains to much in Taranaki

however the 45ks each way, co car helps the gas, is either 45 or 46 mins on a bad day

4.2kms from home to office.

Usually less than 10min.

3 km's and 5 min's which is bliss in Auckland. Just purchased a bicycle.

Used to be 21 km's and 50 mins... :-/

Edited by M3AN

The reason for my asking is to do with our continued house hunt.

House prices... Blah, blah, blah. We've been there, done that.

The conventional way to move up the property ladder is to buy a house, live in it and add value for a few years, move on, and so on. That certainly works when you're in your 20s or 30s, but it's less practical when you're old and frail... Or even just in your late 40s.

So, to get anything close to what we'd like to have, we need to look further afield and I could easily be looking at a 1.5 hour commute. I'm fortunate - my work means I can sometimes work from home, or possibly even just work 4 longer days each week. That journey time will come down a little once the SH1 work around Huntly and north of Te Kauwhata is completed, but that's obviously going to be a while yet.

Not ideal. And I would love to be able to cycle to work! Can't see that happening.

I might be able to buy the house, then change jobs and work somewhere a little closer to home though...

For comparison, when in the UK I knew people who were travelling up to 3 hours each way to get to work. Why? Similar reasons... A combination of the (home) lifestyle they wanted, and the lack of availability of affordable housing close to where they worked.

Edited by gjm

That's why I moved back to Hamilton from Auckland. Currently bike 5.5km to work, takes 17 minutes. If I'm lazy I get the wife to drop me in, drive takes about 12minutes.

2min about 1.2ks :) 

or a 14min walk

use to do the sth ak to ak city 30-60min

loving the short trip have to go via clevedon for a coffee before work just so I can drive the M3 on the back roads :)

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Olaf said:

mine's 36kms each way.  takes about 40-45 mins.  Although I'm "going against the traffic", SH2 is pretty congested with plonkers sitting on 90 or 95 in the outside lane.  Often congested around petone (north or southbound), and Ngauranga off-ramp (southbound).  A good day would be 35 mins, though these are few and far between, and is both traffic volume and traffic-light phasing dependent.

I much preffered last year, where I walked to work in 36-39 mins, and walked home (higher pace) with a variety of routes.  Or caught the bus.  Same home, different workplace**

I'm finding the fuel bill surprising, I'm not driving on "economy run" settings, nor am I fanging it... stil go through $80 in what seems like "no time".  A diesel or V8 beckons.  A number of my friends are saying combine the two and get a diesel V8 landcruiser.

** reminds me of a song by Was not Was...

"I was transferred to the moon.  Worse pay, better hours.

I was transferred to the moon.  Worse pay, better fellow workers..."

There are diesel V8 BMWs ;)

18km - about 40min on peak. 

I actually like a ~30min commute - good for podcasts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eliongater said:

I can't afford them.  

3 hours ago, eliongater said:

Are there? I'm struggling to think of any.

Back on topic. I live 12kms from workplace, just over half hour into work on an average day, closer to 40mins on way home.

Chose our home on a balance of time to work / schools / price. Luckily I don't work in CBD so can avoid motorways and worst of prices.

52 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

But back to the original post it comes down to if you live to work or work to live

Quality of Life comes first  adapting is the key - current role works a treat.

These days, I work to live. There was a time when extra hours at work, working weekends and so on were normal, and what I expected, but you soon realise no-one compliments you for doing it, and no-one goes to their retirement wishing they had worked more hours.

It's trying to ensure that quality of life when not at work that is causing the problem. We simply can't do it without living further away. At least, not the sort of life we want (which I appreciate may well differ to what many other people would be looking for).

Edited by gjm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Can't afford a BMW diesel - so you would go for the Landcrusier which drives like a dray  and is heinously expensive to maintain via a dealer.
I'd re-run that one and come up with a different option Olaf

But back to the original post it comes down to if you live to work or work to live

Quality of Life comes first  adapting is the key - current role works a treat.

I can't afford the BMW V8 diesel... and good as the Toyota is, won't be going there.

the diesel or V8 options for me likely reside in an e60.

I certainly work to live.

Edited by Olaf

70 odd km's each way, average travel time in the mornings seems to be about 1:20 and evenings can vary wildly from same as mornings to 3 hours.

We'd be looking at moving closer to AKL but can't find anything under $1M in a half decent school zone that's even remotely comparable to what we have here! 

Pretty easy decision really and if I was overly concerned about climate change or get too frustrated with driving I could always do the train... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MattA said:

70 odd km's each way, average travel time in the mornings seems to be about 1:20 and evenings can vary wildly from same as mornings to 3 hours.

We'd be looking at moving closer to AKL but can't find anything under $1M in a half decent school zone that's even remotely comparable to what we have here! 

Pretty easy decision really and if I was overly concerned about climate change or get too frustrated with driving I could always do the train... 

I'm fortunate that I don't work in central Auckland and only have to go as far as Papatoetoe. That doesn't stop the 'trial by SH1' being particularly annoying, especially on the way home. It's bad in the morning, but seemingly regardless of time, it's worse in the evening. There's no way around it.

The train would be good and I'd be keen to use it, but there's no train from the south into Manukau.

I know of some people who live in Paeroa and work in the Auckland CBD. They leave Paeroa around 6.30, and get the train from Papakura into the CBD.