Sign in to follow this  
jin108

Need waterpump for E90 335i asap

Before I go ahead and order a new one thought id check if anyone here has a spare lying around. Please let me know asap. Thanks. 

You need to get the water pump, thermostat, bolt set, genuine coolant and any other associated faulty components. After installation the system must be vented (bled) correctly or the pump will fail again.... $1800 - $2000 job

• Like 4

Thanks the thermostat is fine just the waterpump is leaking. i know its recommended to change it as well but im okay leaving it. If its not broken dont fix it right? :)

I can get the pump plus bolts for around 550 from the US just going to take a few days to get here. Better than the $1000 BMW quoted me anyway although they have it in stock. 

550 once converted into nzd and gst on top and i assume freight, might as well take up BMWNZ on their offer.

550 nzd shipped. Might have GST to pay but these small items usually pass straight through

It's not recommended to change the pump without the new thermostat and you MUST use 3 bottles of genuine coolant and vent the system correctly without the battery voltage reducing below 13v. The thermostat has a mapped cooling sensor built into it

• Like 2

^^ you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him think.

Drew, you'd do well to take Glenn's advice.  This is his day job; he provides expert advice here for the benefit of the Bimmersport community.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

It's not recommended to change the pump without the new thermostat and you MUST use 3 bottles of genuine coolant and vent the system correctly without the battery voltage reducing below 13v. The thermostat has a mapped cooling sensor built into it

Yes thanks understood. Went through the same procedure when i emptied the coolant to change the OFHG. Coolant was the one thing I had to buy from the dealer at some exorbitant price. Funny enough thats when the coolant starting leaking very slowly about 10 months ago and last few days started dumping it so had to look around was hoping it was a hose but was the actual wp housing. Opened it up and the o-ring inside was loose maybe that was the problem? Car has 155k on original pump so not bad considering they supposed to crap out at 100k.

Why is the thermostat recommended to be replaced? Is it because your in there so might as well do it as well? 

Just now, jin108 said:

Yes thanks understood. Went through the same procedure when i emptied the coolant to change the OFHG. Coolant was the one thing I had to buy from the dealer at some exorbitant price. Funny enough thats when the coolant starting leaking very slowly about 10 months ago and last few days started dumping it so had to look around was hoping it was a hose but was the actual wp housing. Opened it up and the o-ring inside was loose maybe that was the problem? Car has 155k on original pump so not bad considering they supposed to crap out at 100k.

Why is the thermostat recommended to be replaced? Is it because your in there so might as well do it as well? 

all made out of crap plastic with about 30% crushed recycled glass , all the plastics in the cooling system will fail over time

better to change now before they crack and you cook your very expensive engine

• Like 1

Just now, BM WORLD said:

all made out of crap plastic with about 30% crushed recycled glass , all the plastics in the cooling system will fail over time

better to change now before they crack and you cook your very expensive engine

Ok thanks. Might do it as well getting the pump out was a pita especially that third bolt on top.