Karter16

Karter 16's E46 M3 Journal

Update #22

So now that we're in our own house and we have a garage it meant that I was able to remove the tints from the car.

I've been keen to get rid of them for some time for a couple reasons:

1. I'm trying to get the car as stock as possible, and the tints give it a different look.
  2. I almost knocked someone over reversing down my parents driveway in the dark - couldn't see ANYTHING out the back window so was relying on wing mirrors (with the front windows down).

But I've held off doing it while the car has been outside as the tints provide excellent sun protection.

Now that the car is safely garaged I was able to remove the tints.

I read up a bit on the process first and used a clothes steamer to heat the tint. The idea being that the sticky stays with the sheet of tint rather than remaining on the window. I have to say it worked amazingly well. I removed the tints on the driver and passenger windows, the rear quarter panels and the rear window all in the space of an hour and a half. I think the fact they were quality tints was helpful when it came to removal as well as the sticky stayed where it should - basically no residue left on the windows at all.

When I got to the rear window I thought my cunning plan had come unstuck, as a thick layer of sticky was left behind. Turns out the sticky wasn't left on the glass, it was left on the clear sheet of the SECOND layer of tint that was on the rear window... No wonder I couldn't see anything at night. Some muppet had tinted over an already tinted window 🤣. More steam, and lifting up the remaining sheet and it all came off beautifully. No damage to the heater/aerial strips and no residue left behind 👍

I'm really happy with the end result. The car looks awesome - I much prefer the look of it without tints.

I'll get some photos up as soon as it's a decent day and I can get some good pictures.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 7:19 PM, Karter16 said:

Picked these up recently to add to the collection 🙂

23776512398_1381bd03bd_b.jpg

Lol at the SMG book, with the needle buried deep in the redline, with all the "cold engine" lights lit. Not really being a good role model, are you BMW?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KwS said:

Lol at the SMG book, with the needle buried deep in the redline, with all the "cold engine" lights lit. Not really being a good role model, are you BMW?

It does that when you hit redline, kinda like a shift indicator. It flashes to tell you to change gear, basically.

its actually pretty nifty.

Spoilsport 🤪

• Haha 2

Did your radio (specifically AM) reception improve without the tints?

4 hours ago, m325i said:

I haven't actually tested that yet, but next time I drive the car I'll do an assessment and report back.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:17 PM, m325i said:

I've tried out the radio and, subjectively, it does seem a bit better than it was before. Really hard to tell definitively, but it does seem to be less patchy around Auckland than it was before.

Update #23

Today I finally got a chance to make a start on getting the car cleaned up. As the previous posts show my focus so far has been mostly on the mechanical aspects of the car. Now that it's garaged and properly out of the elements I figured I might as well make a start on getting it cleaned up.

Back in August our old property was swamped with that horrible yellow pollen from pine trees. That stuff gets in everywhere. I clean it out of both cars every year, but haven't got round to it with the M3 until now.

45821552401_7b9a1a2aa7_b.jpg

It's horrible stuff.

I started with removing the interior carpet/card/trim stuff from the boot lid so that I could remove the reversing lights, handle, etc. from the boot lid.

45821552911_63e934f226_b.jpg

From there I started removing stuff and doing a quick clean/wipe down as I went.

45821552291_ae4045cc18_b.jpg

45821552621_cf32271457_b.jpg

Now that I've got the bits off I can spend my time properly cleaning them and the boot-lid. I'll take the opportunity while all the bits are off to properly clean, polish and wax the boot lid before reassembly. I'm also going to clean up all the bits of the boot handle and licence plate lights, etc.

The reversing light assemblies are clouded, as plastic gets. I'm tossing up whether it's worth having a go at refinishing them, or whether I skip that and go straight to buying new ones.

I'm also keen to get a new M3 badge at some point as the one on there looks pretty faded. Really needs a new roundel as well as the one on there is starting to delaminate around the edges.

Oh and the gas struts will be being replaced as well - they make an embarrassing groaning sound whenever you open the boot, which isn't in line with the well-maintained sports car vibe I'm going for.

I'll post an update soon with my progress on cleaning up the bits and pieces.

17 hours ago, Karter16 said:

Oh and the gas struts will be being replaced as well - they make an embarrassing groaning sound whenever you open the boot, which isn't in line with the well-maintained sports car vibe I'm going for.

They all do this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Update #24

Last night I did a quick test of cleaning auto wax, dirt, etc. off the black trim on the boot handle mechanism.

Before:

45806872172_a63dd60f6d_b.jpg

45856136841_53bc31477b_b.jpg

45856136331_b8d36b0fdd_b.jpg

To clean I simply used hot water with some regular liquid hand soap in it and I carefully scrubbed the black plastic parts with a toothbrush. The heat and soap helps soften and lift the wax. I then used a cotton cloth soaked in the hot water and soap to wipe away the remaining wax. Had to go over a few spots a second time, but I'm really pleased with how well this has cleaned up.

After:

45856135811_5b21bf74ce_b.jpg

45806872472_6ebbeb5a44_b.jpg

45856137171_c19cd02b22_b.jpg

I've got lots more to clean, and I want to go through and remove the extra wiring from when the first owner of the car had a tow bar installed. 

I'm also still trying to decide whether I attempt to restore the surface of the reversing light enclosures or whether I just buy new ones. Looking at them it looks as though the plastic may be started to fracture and degrade beyond the surface layer, so may just be better to buy new ones.

I've also got a couple of bits and pieces on order from Milland for the front of the car, so I'll update when they arrive.

• Like 2