Karter16

Karter16's E46 M3 Journal

Update #22

So now that we're in our own house and we have a garage it meant that I was able to remove the tints from the car.

I've been keen to get rid of them for some time for a couple reasons:

1. I'm trying to get the car as stock as possible, and the tints give it a different look.
  2. I almost knocked someone over reversing down my parents driveway in the dark - couldn't see ANYTHING out the back window so was relying on wing mirrors (with the front windows down).

But I've held off doing it while the car has been outside as the tints provide excellent sun protection.

Now that the car is safely garaged I was able to remove the tints.

I read up a bit on the process first and used a clothes steamer to heat the tint. The idea being that the sticky stays with the sheet of tint rather than remaining on the window. I have to say it worked amazingly well. I removed the tints on the driver and passenger windows, the rear quarter panels and the rear window all in the space of an hour and a half. I think the fact they were quality tints was helpful when it came to removal as well as the sticky stayed where it should - basically no residue left on the windows at all.

When I got to the rear window I thought my cunning plan had come unstuck, as a thick layer of sticky was left behind. Turns out the sticky wasn't left on the glass, it was left on the clear sheet of the SECOND layer of tint that was on the rear window... No wonder I couldn't see anything at night. Some muppet had tinted over an already tinted window ?. More steam, and lifting up the remaining sheet and it all came off beautifully. No damage to the heater/aerial strips and no residue left behind ?

I'm really happy with the end result. The car looks awesome - I much prefer the look of it without tints.

I'll get some photos up as soon as it's a decent day and I can get some good pictures.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 7:19 PM, Karter16 said:

Picked these up recently to add to the collection ?

23776512398_1381bd03bd_b.jpg

Lol at the SMG book, with the needle buried deep in the redline, with all the "cold engine" lights lit. Not really being a good role model, are you BMW?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KwS said:

Lol at the SMG book, with the needle buried deep in the redline, with all the "cold engine" lights lit. Not really being a good role model, are you BMW?

It does that when you hit redline, kinda like a shift indicator. It flashes to tell you to change gear, basically.

its actually pretty nifty.

Did your radio (specifically AM) reception improve without the tints?

4 hours ago, m325i said:

I haven't actually tested that yet, but next time I drive the car I'll do an assessment and report back.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:17 PM, m325i said:

I've tried out the radio and, subjectively, it does seem a bit better than it was before. Really hard to tell definitively, but it does seem to be less patchy around Auckland than it was before.

Update #23

Today I finally got a chance to make a start on getting the car cleaned up. As the previous posts show my focus so far has been mostly on the mechanical aspects of the car. Now that it's garaged and properly out of the elements I figured I might as well make a start on getting it cleaned up.

Back in August our old property was swamped with that horrible yellow pollen from pine trees. That stuff gets in everywhere. I clean it out of both cars every year, but haven't got round to it with the M3 until now.

45821552401_7b9a1a2aa7_b.jpg

It's horrible stuff.

I started with removing the interior carpet/card/trim stuff from the boot lid so that I could remove the reversing lights, handle, etc. from the boot lid.

45821552911_63e934f226_b.jpg

From there I started removing stuff and doing a quick clean/wipe down as I went.

45821552291_ae4045cc18_b.jpg

45821552621_cf32271457_b.jpg

Now that I've got the bits off I can spend my time properly cleaning them and the boot-lid. I'll take the opportunity while all the bits are off to properly clean, polish and wax the boot lid before reassembly. I'm also going to clean up all the bits of the boot handle and licence plate lights, etc.

The reversing light assemblies are clouded, as plastic gets. I'm tossing up whether it's worth having a go at refinishing them, or whether I skip that and go straight to buying new ones.

I'm also keen to get a new M3 badge at some point as the one on there looks pretty faded. Really needs a new roundel as well as the one on there is starting to delaminate around the edges.

Oh and the gas struts will be being replaced as well - they make an embarrassing groaning sound whenever you open the boot, which isn't in line with the well-maintained sports car vibe I'm going for.

I'll post an update soon with my progress on cleaning up the bits and pieces.

17 hours ago, Karter16 said:

Oh and the gas struts will be being replaced as well - they make an embarrassing groaning sound whenever you open the boot, which isn't in line with the well-maintained sports car vibe I'm going for.

They all do this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Update #24

Last night I did a quick test of cleaning auto wax, dirt, etc. off the black trim on the boot handle mechanism.

Before:

45806872172_a63dd60f6d_b.jpg

45856136841_53bc31477b_b.jpg

45856136331_b8d36b0fdd_b.jpg

To clean I simply used hot water with some regular liquid hand soap in it and I carefully scrubbed the black plastic parts with a toothbrush. The heat and soap helps soften and lift the wax. I then used a cotton cloth soaked in the hot water and soap to wipe away the remaining wax. Had to go over a few spots a second time, but I'm really pleased with how well this has cleaned up.

After:

45856135811_5b21bf74ce_b.jpg

45806872472_6ebbeb5a44_b.jpg

45856137171_c19cd02b22_b.jpg

I've got lots more to clean, and I want to go through and remove the extra wiring from when the first owner of the car had a tow bar installed. 

I'm also still trying to decide whether I attempt to restore the surface of the reversing light enclosures or whether I just buy new ones. Looking at them it looks as though the plastic may be started to fracture and degrade beyond the surface layer, so may just be better to buy new ones.

I've also got a couple of bits and pieces on order from Milland for the front of the car, so I'll update when they arrive.

• Like 2

Update #25

The last week I've found an hour here and there to get a bit more done on cleaning the car up.

I've removed the wipers, windshield cowling and side repeaters, and done a preliminary clean up.

Today I had a couple of hours and removed the rear lights to clean them up.

Everything was super filthy from all the pine pollen that's accumulated on the car.

45415700724_3de6e79bb0_b.jpg

46139452871_5e9eec8127_b.jpg

46139452621_cdbffe9510_b.jpg

I've done a preliminary clean on the shell around where the lights mount. They'll get a second deep clean in a little while.

45415698864_4863793b4f_b.jpg

I then got stuck into cleaning the tail light enclosures up. I removed the foam rubber seals and the black trim pieces so I could clean everything up properly. Some time spent with soap and warm water, a toothbrush and a cloth and they cleaned up very nicely. The foam rubber seals are still soft and in great condition - they've lasted well considering they're 13 years old.

46139453571_2cec933c0a_b.jpg

44322808140_c2479f0eaf_b.jpg

45415700444_69fb6cdbb3_b.jpg

45415700234_f5135719ce_b.jpg

While the boot is disassembled I'll take the opportunity to go through and remove the extra wiring that was added when a previous owner had a tow bar on the car...

Til next time.

I am impressed how you were able to remove those black plastic tail light pieces without damaging them! I took one off the other day and it was a royal pain in the backside to not do any damage!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, M3_Power said:

I am impressed how you were able to remove those black plastic tail light pieces without damaging them! I took one off the other day and it was a royal pain in the backside to not do any damage!

Yeah they're a weird design. Seems like you should be able to slide them off the rails, but you can't. I was actually tricked by the first one I did in that it popped off relatively easily. The second one took a lot more time and careful attention to get off!

Far out, nearly 14 months since the last update! Well not a lot of progress has been made on the car in the last year. My son deteriorated quite quickly from the start of last year, to the point that by June he was a long term admission to Starship. He had his liver transplant on the 24th September (I was the donor), and he was home 9 days later (a record). It’s totally changed our lives. The last few months have been spent recovering (for me) and getting our lives in order.

Last week I cleaned the car, did oil and filter change and this last weekend my wife and I did a day trip to Coromandel for my wife’s Granny’s 80th. We took the long way round (via Clevedon and Miranda) and had a great time. Few photos from the trip attached.

A96F4D6C-E47F-4BD4-A053-69A28D3ABABD.jpeg

E32EF15F-69EC-4C87-988B-4587C8B7ED83.jpeg

0561FFD0-F34A-4F64-9A4C-B041193A26FE.jpeg

217648AD-7575-4E2F-ACF1-69F20CFA95DF.jpeg

0808BEF2-F656-4E2F-BE98-DB747E624DB4.jpeg

• Like 7

Great to hear things a looking up Matt and power to you and your family. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that your sacrifice will pay you all back many times over. Be proud.

• Like 2

Wow, more than two years since my last post…

*trigger warning - children/babies & medical stuff*

A few weeks after my last post my son fell extremely ill. After several long hospital stays he was diagnosed with post transplant lymphoproliferative disorder, in his case caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. At his sickest there were 16 million copies of the virus per millilitre of his blood. He thankfully completed a course of Rituximab (kinda like a chemo drug that wipes out all the T cells in your immune system). By August he was home, and after a couple of blips he has been largely okay since. If things stay good for another few years his doctors will declare victory over the PTLD.

In September of 2020 we found out my wife was pregnant with #2! Our second son was born in April 2021 at 32 weeks, following a rough pregnancy. He spent 5 weeks in NICU before joining us at home.

4 days later he was rushed to Starship with respiratory issues. He got a tracheostomy about a week later (which has been amazing) and then spent 47 long days in PICU battling infections and myriad issues that couldn’t all be tied back together. He finally made it up to the ward, and then a few days later started having seizures. Over the course of a few days we watched our little man lose all ability to move, turn his head, hear, and interact with us.

Since then it’s been a long slow journey of improvement for him. After a couple of weeks he started looking at things, and us, again, another few weeks later he started responding to sound again, by the time we got him home at the end of September he could turn, but not support, his head. Another 8 weeks later and he could fairly well hold his head up, and today I took a photo of him sitting, propped up, in his hospital cot (he’s been in this week fighting a nasty virus) playing with a toy. 

The teams at Starship have been incredible. The head consultants from a bunch of different teams have been heavily involved in  my son’s care, and their skill and the wonders of modern medicine have been life-saving for both of my children.

I’m forever indebted to them, our public healthcare system, and, by extension, taxpayers of New Zealand.

Wow. That was cathartic to write out. Not very on-topic, but cathartic.

Thus concludes the explanation of why it’s been two years since my last post…

I only drove the M3 a couple of times in 2021. For most of the year I wasn’t even sure if I was going to keep it (hard to make plans or think about what’s fun when you’re constantly in crisis mode). But the last few months as things have trended towards our “new normality” I’ve been enjoying driving the car on occasion and making some more plans for it.

A couple of days ago I ordered a new OE steering wheel. The current wheel is quite badly cracked along the top, and the paddles and trim are in very poor condition. I looked at options like getting my current wheel rewrapped and buying new trim, etc. but for what that was going to cost it made more sense to order a brand new wheel. I found one for a good price, and, importantly, cheap shipping and pulled the trigger. It’s coming snail mail (hence the cheapness) so, given the current state of global logistics it should arrive sometime between the beginning of April and the end of time.

I have a bunch of other items I want to get as well, but they’re all significantly cheaper, so I figured it was best to buy the expensive thing first, so I don’t keep putting it off!

I also have a couple of little projects in mind to keep me busy as well so will hopefully be posting those up here soon!

Matt

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Dang that sounds like a rough time, those little buggers sure know how to put mum and dad through the wringer alright !! Glad things are looking more settled now mate :)

• Like 2

On 2/8/2022 at 2:00 PM, Cement said:

Dang that sounds like a rough time, those little buggers sure know how to put mum and dad through the wringer alright !! Glad things are looking more settled now mate :)

Thanks for that - yeah it's been crazy. I tell my wife that they wouldn't write us as a story line in Shortland St - too unbelievable 😂

Update #26

Well I got notification today that the new steering wheel has shipped - should be here in a couple of months!

The other day I decided to re-investigate why the rear bumper/diffuser sits so terribly on my car. I say re-investigate as I did look at it a few years ago when Dad and I were doing all the under-body work on the car, but I'd forgotten since what the issue was.

Got under there with a torch to see that the plastic brackets that are glued to the Kevlar support bar had all detached, and only a couple of them were still screwed to the bracket on the bumper itself. I removed one, and did some investigation on the internet (although I suspected I already knew the answer).

IMG_3651.thumb.jpeg.19c2ab1ab0b617bff0ff3d5b26f212ba.jpeg

Because the brackets are glued/plastic welded to the kevlar support the whole thing is one part number and you can't purchase individual replacements.

I could hunt down a wrecked one and try pull the bits, but didn't particularly like my chances, and thought it was a good opportunity to try putting Dad's 3D printer to use.

The original part is helpfully labeled as PA6 GF30 which means it is a Polyamide 6 plastic with 30% glass fibre. 

There is a 3D printer filament available which is a Nylon 6 (Nylon is a type of Polyamide, so Nylon 6 is pretty similar to PA6) with 25% Carbon Fibre. The printed end result is supposedly stronger than the same thing made out of aluminium, so it should do the trick for this application.

I quickly brushed up on my very rusty CAD skills and knocked this up this evening.

174076074_ScreenShot2022-02-18at8_23_35PM.thumb.png.6be7ac8a82b86865d0821d2d2ff549c9.png

It was pretty enjoyable to make. The original having presumably begun life by being drawn in CAD by a BMW engineer it was nicely spec'd in whole millimetres, so was easy to reproduce. The most difficult aspect was just that the bridge and the legs are not quite in the same X-Y plane.

I've shipped this off to Dad for him to run a test print in PLA. From that I'll check and make any necessary adjustments, but I'm pretty confident it's spot on.

The only thing I haven't drawn at this point is the holes in the legs. I'm undecided at this point whether I rivet or plastic bond to the kevlar support. If I go the plastic bonding route then the holes may prove to be unnecessary.

Till next time.

• Like 6

Update #27

Dad dropped off the PLA test print on Saturday morning (can’t beat that for customer service!)

It’s turned out really well. I have one small modification to make (points for anyone who can spot what it is), but aside from that it’s spot on.

FB34C485-5D50-4B22-BA12-EE9DC480C39D.thumb.jpeg.6c4728774b85939ee4baccbab68b34ed.jpeg

Dad has ordered a hardened nozzle for his printer (so it can handle the carbon fibre) and some filament so once that’s arrived we’ll be able to do a test print of the end product!

• Like 2

Nice surprise this morning! This arrived much sooner than expected!

50DE762C-4155-401C-9935-213502124106.thumb.jpeg.bc3e39348be08ecf8529e6093f1951a1.jpeg

I didn’t realise just how worn the old one was until I saw what they look and feel like brand new!

Expensive purchase, but going to make a big difference to the driving experience.

Edited by Karter16

Just read your thread, what a ride that was!
Firstly, it's great to hear your kids are doing well, You're a damn tough family from what you've said, well done.

Secondly, beautiful car, and that wheel looks amazing!

On 2/28/2022 at 10:25 AM, Karter16 said:

Nice surprise this morning! This arrived much sooner than expected!

50DE762C-4155-401C-9935-213502124106.thumb.jpeg.bc3e39348be08ecf8529e6093f1951a1.jpeg

I didn’t realise just how worn the old one was until I saw what they look and feel like brand new!

Expensive purchase, but going to make a big difference to the driving experience.

Nice one mate! What was the damage $$?

8 minutes ago, fred_ said:

Nice one mate! What was the damage $$?

Thanks - very happy with it. Just on $1000USD including shipping, customs, etc. 😬

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, Braydon said:

Just read your thread, what a ride that was!
Firstly, it's great to hear your kids are doing well, You're a damn tough family from what you've said, well done.

Secondly, beautiful car, and that wheel looks amazing!

Thanks very much! Yeah it’s been a hard road, but also very rewarding!

thank you - I’m scared to touch it haha - will be putting on the car at some point, but not until the car has had a bit of a clean up!

• Like 1