Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

E34 question

Hi guys, 

I have searched the internet and I am still a bit confused.

I have a 1993 530i Uk E34.  Non airbag M-tech 2 steering wheel.  If I was to go 'generic', i.e. use an aftermarket steering wheel, which hub adaptor would I get?  Its either an E30 or an E36?  What else do I need to know?

I tried to put on another m-tech 2 steering wheel, but the spline and backside was different, and as far as I can tell, it might be E36 fitment?

So answers please. ta.

take the wheel off and have a look at the spline count and either post a photo here or compare to some pictures on line.

Mtech2 wheels were produced in three types, two different sizes for the early spline like E30 (one size) and E34/E32 (othersize), very hard to tell these two apart without a tape measure

and one type for the E36 which has the later "airbag" spline. Airbags were optional on E36, but this wheel was never available on late E34 as they all had airbags by this point, but can be retrofitted on as late E34 and E36 have the same spline. easy to tell this wheel apart from the early type, the horizontal bars have a slight droop to them whereas the early type are dead straight.

Hope this helps

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

I would say it will be the later e36 type , but better to check , take a pic later switch gear will show up

mmm I dont want to take that flippin steering wheel off, but I can take photos off the one that didnt fit, that should do it, will do later tonight.

Actually, I read that again.

The steering wheel that didnt fit, did have more of an angle on the horizontal bars of the steering wheel.

Does that help in determining what boss kit type would fit?

Cheers