Sign in to follow this  
MsSpeedFreak

328 overheating

Have a 1998 328 which suddenly went from normal to red. Pulled over, let it cool down and could limp home stopping every 2kms. Does whole cooling system need replacing??? Anyone know a BMW mechanic in Lower or Upper Hutt? Really enjoy this old car. Goes well...until now.

@_ethrty-Andy_ :)

@MsSpeedFreak - that will depend on the cause. If it was running fine and then started overheating as badly as you describe then it's quite likely a leak of some sorts. How much coolant is in the system now? Assuming a leak it doesn't necessarily mean everything needs to be replaced but unless you know the age and condition of the components then it's a good time/excuse to replace the main parts.

Parts to consider are:

Radiator, Water pump, Thermostat, Thermostat housing, Expansion tank, Coolant level sensor, Hoses

Somewhat related:

Belts, Tensioners, Pulleys

No disrespect intended, however I read it that Alicia is looking for a professional that has qualified experience to help her with this problem.

PS> To Alicia- feel free to give me a call tomorrow (09) 2722546 We close at 12.00 am though...long weekend ;)

I answered the 2nd question. The first would be determined by a professional inspection and diagnosis of the 1st question, which needs to be checked by somebody who actually knows and deals in repairing these vehicles. And I'm not replying in here to play games. I'm trying to help the OP here with her problem

No, that's an improper assertion Glenn. Pretty much anybody with rudimentary knowledge and an Internet connection can provide a superficial diagnosis of e3/46 cooling problems. They're so well documented you couldn't avoid the obvious if you tried. 

We're all trying to help and help doesn't always require a "professional". 

Not looking for an argument but your position is far too absolute. It's not black and white as you make it out to be. 

I'm in a different sand pit... you go and play in yours and I'll stay here and help people

• Like 4

Well that escalated quickly. My intent was that Andy, who lives near her area, would see this and recommend a local workshop.

No disrespect taken, Glenn. This would be a sorry excuse for a sandpit without your experience and knowledge.

19 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

I'm in a different sand pit... you go and play in yours and I'll stay here and help people

That's awfully "professional" of you Glenn! How pleasant.

Jump down off your pedestal and join the rest of us because it must be f'ing lonely in "your" sandpit way up there! You're getting grumpy, you need more social interaction.

14 minutes ago, MsSpeedFreak said:

A local workshop is exactly what we need!!!! Hope the right person does see this.

Colin and I were both trying to alert Andy to this thread. He's a moderator here, local to Wellington and can probably provide the recommendation you're looking for. It might pay to send him a PM and ask.

My other comment was just to confirm you shouldn't assume it "all" needs to be replaced.

I can't see any other helpful information in the thread.

Edited by M3AN

Precedent sets the intended meaning, ass covering doesn't.

Alicia, i wreck all these earlier models, also fit new and used parts for customers when needed, however if by qualified you are looking for a piece of paper with my name on it then no i am not. my driveway of mine and customers cars might indicate otherwise though.

Im happy to take a look, i am in Woburn so the closest person to you that has plenty of experience with your model, i only work on these older models. I would recommend not driving it at all at this stage, perhaps could come to you tomorrow if that works for you and at least see where we stand.

i am working on a customers car this afternoon, have another one arriving tomorrow afternoon, but any time tomorrow would be fine. If it requires a professional i.e. head gasket failure which is above what i would do on a customers car, i can point you in the right direction, most of the time its something fairly simple on these cars

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 3