Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

N46 Valvetronic

Hey folks,

Bought an E46 with the beautiful N46 (ha), I've had it a week and already the VVT is giving me issues (probably why the PO sold it). 

After four days of using the car with no problems but a little  rough idle etc, I scanned it using a generic OBD scanner which initially gave fault P1050 with no EML/engine lights on the dash. Then I took it into a good friend at BMW who scanned it using BMW's software, came up saying  Valvetronic motor/DME fault. Cleared the code and it was OK for a couple of days. Went to drive it before and both check engine lights were on, so turned it off then on again and only EML was on this time. Scanned with generic OBD again and got code p1062.

So, Is this likely to be just the valvetronic motor itself, it's DME, wiring harness or something else? Just need to sell the XR6 it's replacing and then I can start throwing money at all the usual N46 bits.

like you say, "throwing money at the usual N46 bits".  It'll be character building.

Good luck with your journey, keep us updated!

• Like 1

MMM personnel I would be keeping the ford (bits tongue) These motors will empty your wallet quicker than water can flow from a tap. Do a search on here or google for n42, 46 problems best of luck.

swap it out for a M54b30 setup :)

11 hours ago, allan said:

MMM personnel I would be keeping the ford (bits tongue) These motors will empty your wallet quicker than water can flow from a tap. Do a search on here or google for n42, 46 problems best of luck.

Yea, the Barra I6 is bullet proof, just a shame the rest of the car isn't lol. Have trawled quite a few pages but information is a little limited as the they're US based and they don't reall dabble in the 4cyl realm. Cheers, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get.

9 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

swap it out for a M54b30 setup :)

Haha this is definitely on my to do list, I had a couple on my Manheim watch list that were close (close, as in within 4hrs drive) but don't have the spare funds or spare room at the moment. I tried to get into a 325 but the mrs wanted a "fuel saver" :D

When I win a little lotto money this week I'll grab your 540 touring and also that S54 motor you have while I'm at it

• Like 1

Have a google I found several UK threads concerning the vvt  set up getting oil in to the cam sensors and coursing some weird goings on

• Like 1

On 30/01/2017 at 8:23 PM, allan said:

Have a google I found several UK threads concerning the vvt  set up getting oil in to the cam sensors and coursing some weird goings on

Awesome, will try searching a little harder. If the weather is nice for a bit I'm going to have a look under the cover and see if there's any pinched/shorted wires, oil in places it shouldn't be etc. Car drives normally and pulls well, but then the EML comes on and says it's the VVT then sometimes turns off the next time the car is started. I would think if the VVT motor had gone, it would be permanent.

EDIT: After clearing out the eccentric shaft sensor and plug which was full of oil, a week of driving including an 8 hour round trip to Arrowtown it seems to have solved it. Either that or I just got lucky.....

Edited by Dn540