Sign in to follow this  
KiwiTT

What's worse than de-badged BMW

... a BMW rebadged as something it is not! ... Saw an obvious BMW 320i rebadged as a M3 ... I just could not stop smiling at the stupidity

... One of the reasons I am still hesitant to put M badges on my car despite it having lots of M-sport equipment.

Edited by KiwiTT
  • Like 1

What could be worse?  

How about a BMW branded Civic?

///M badged Toyota Camry

The list goes on. 

i would get a badge delete but the spinning propellor(or bavarian flag) would remain forever

• Like 1

On 2/02/2017 at 11:45 AM, Rubix said:

What's wrong with a de-badged BMW? o.O

I think too many cars are de-badged.  Are people ashamed of the car model they got or something?

My two previous cars I like the fact it was called a GTi-16v or a VR-4.  The latter, I even added a "Ralliart" badge as it had all the Ralliart options with it and why I considered adding the M-Sport badge to my current BMW.

It is like they are pretending its something when it is not.  Fair enough if it is a real "Q-Car" like a M5 or something and you want to surprise the observer, but a lowly spec car, it just does not make sense except for false pretence.

Pretending something it is not is putting the wrong badge on. Debadging can be a way of saying I don't need a badge to define what it is, or that the badge is no longer suitable, or simply to clean up the look of the rear a bit.

I remember one of my mates in the DMW Drivers Club back in blighty had a track hack e30, it was super-clean 316i, he left badges and hubcaps intact, ran it with 320i M20 running gear on club track days, much hilarity.

I might have to badge up my first track car as a Volvo.  Or a Bolvo.

I ran the 318i badges on my m50 turbo e30 for ages ?

• Like 1

If some day I acquire a 535D I might have to badge it 518i  B)   just for shits and giggles of course.

• Like 1

Vw Tourans came with  1.4, 1.6 or 2.0's (petrol), so I thought about putting 2x 1.6 badges on... because mine is a 3.2 now :D

I drove a E36 in the states that had a 5.7LS motor in it and it was badged 357i. You didn't really notice it unless you looked for it, but the exhaust rumble and the stonking acceleration soon gave the game away.  

When I worked at a BMW dealership, well before the internet & cheap copies were available, they wouldn't well M badges etc, unless you could prove you had a M car

M Badge.JPG

• Like 5

What is worse? Well how about the red MR2S that I saw on the motorway that had replaced the badges with... wait for it.... the Ferrari horse logos (printed vinyl not the square 3D badges. now that really, really is pushing your luck. I wonder if anyone has ever been fooled into thinking it is and actual Ferrari?

NZ created a bit of a local anomally by putting the ///M badge in front of the 325i on the "M325i" version of the 325i with  M-Sport that was sold here back in the E30 days, and this trend was continued on M-Sport cars up until a few years back with dealers being supplied with an ///M badge to go on the back.

38 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

What is worse? Well how about the red MR2S that I saw on the motorway that had replaced the badges with... wait for it.... the Ferrari horse logos (printed vinyl not the square 3D badges. now that really, really is pushing your luck. I wonder if anyone has ever been fooled into thinking it is and actual Ferrari?

NZ created a bit of a local anomally by putting the ///M badge in front of the 325i on the "M325i" version of the 325i with  M-Sport that was sold here back in the E30 days, and this trend was continued on M-Sport cars up until a few years back with dealers being supplied with an ///M badge to go on the back.

Sometimes I think stuff like that is so bad it's almost good, surely the Toyota is an in joke? 

i have an m badge on my daily a ford transit custom, the only people that have ever told me off for it are probably "318i M3" owners. i kindly point out it has more power and torque than majority of cars with the badge, and applied to the wheels through a 6 speed manual gearbox.

most people laugh because they know who i am and what my passion is.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Allanw said:

Vw Tourans came with  1.4, 1.6 or 2.0's (petrol), so I thought about putting 2x 1.6 badges on... because mine is a 3.2 now :D

so have you finished the re-power, Allan?  Did I miss the 'other Euros' project thread on this?  I'd been waiting with much antici-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-ation.

• Like 1

So back to the opener for this thread... what's wrong with a de-badged BMW?  Although I don't de-badge mine, I appreciate some don't want the badge and select that option when ordering new... I guess they like the sleeper aspect.  Others like em bare and smooth... so they remove the badges.

Case in point, I've been considering (dreaming?) around a 5 series diesel or two, some of which are de-badged.  Would I bother adding a badge to it?  Or just an ///M?  I think not.

One man's meat is another mans poisson, etc...

18 minutes ago, Olaf said:

so have you finished the re-power, Allan?  Did I miss the 'other Euros' project thread on this?  I'd been waiting with much antici-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-ation.

I've driven it in 2WD mode, but needs the 4WD fitted, which is this years project. (you can't rush these things!)

As a complete piss take & to wind up a mate of mine with an HSV, I have this sticker on the back of my work van

HSV Sticker.jpg

• Like 3

I should put an M4 badge on my Mercedes Motor Home- Mercedes 4 cylinder :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

I should put an M4 badge on my Mercedes Motor Home- Mercedes 4 cylinder :P

better still, an AMG badge - Assured of Mighty Getaways

here's a good example.... 

553778977.jpg

I'd feel obliged to remove that M badge from the back of this e60 545i motorsport.  If it were mine, of course.

I'm pretty sure E28 M535i's came with just a ///M from factory, which is half debadged 

My 323i M-Sport came debadged. Thought about fitting an M badge. Decided against it.
Then thought about finding an original 323i badge. But ultimately I kind of like the clean look.

At most, I think I'd only fit the three red strips to the grill on a non M car..

I can see why you'd want to debadge this 'War & Peace' sized label. We don't need your life story.... :lol:

739.jpg

• Like 3