Sign in to follow this  
My545

New to the group, in Dunedin

Finally got an 04 545i, wish me luck. Haven't even laid eyes on it yet as being delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to spending the long weekend getting used to it.

Had an E39 523i two cars back and been hanging out for another Beemer but with some grunt since.

Keen to keep an eye on here for tips, advice, parts, drives/runs and anything social.

• Like 2

Awfully brave of you! Hope all goes well.

Welcome.

Cheers Michael, can I ask why you have said 'awfully brave' ?

Congrats on your purchase Sam.

Post up some pics when you have it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kulgan said:

Congrats on your purchase Sam.

Post up some pics when you have it.

Cheers Dave, my profile pic is it, stolen from TM add, unfortunately car turned up filthy as fark, big day cleaning tomorrow.

545i ds (2).jpg

• Like 2

I like it. Great color and I'm thinking those wheels would look nice on a E38..lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, My545 said:

Cheers Dave, my profile pic is it, stolen from TM add, unfortunately car turned up filthy as fark, big day cleaning tomorrow.

545i ds (2).jpg

Congrats Sam. This shape of the 5-series is one of my favourite shapes. Enjoy the cleaning...:D

Edited by viskop
  • Like 1

Right it's clean (ish), now how do I get it sounding like a V8, just a nice rumble, nothing over the top.

And can anyone blue tooth their phone to these these days and is it worth getting the phone in the car up and running? I doubt it as it looks like the battery is bulging!!

20170204_174512.jpg20170204_174131.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, My545 said:

Right it's clean (ish), now how do I get it sounding like a V8, just a nice rumble, nothing over the top.

And can anyone blue tooth their phone to these these days and is it worth getting the phone in the car up and running? I doubt it as it looks like the battery is bulging!!

I can't help you with your questions, Sam, but I can say this Beemer looks real nice, especially with those wheels on.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Nice looking car. Well done

Cheers

welcome, Sam.  Tastey looking motor.  I believe factory bluetooth wasn't introduced until later, though there should be options available for you to bluetooth in.

e60's rock.

OEM Bluetooth installed by someone like EuroSurgeon is pushing towards $1K from memory - I make do with a unit that clips on the visor - and I can switch it between my 545i and X5 that way too :)

23 hours ago, Olaf said:

welcome, Sam.  Tastey looking motor.  I believe factory bluetooth wasn't introduced until later, though there should be options available for you to bluetooth in.

e60's rock.

You can retrofit Bluetooth and it isn't particularly hard, but it is a bit tricky to find the bits. More so than it's expensive as such. 

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E39_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html

Has oodles of info on this. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Olaf said:

e60's rock.

Cheers, I have actually found it had BT and is paired to the on board phone (no simm) and I can even pair my Samsung Galaxy S3 to it but then it doesn't do anything. I don't know, not that fussed as would hardly use but would like to have it working if it's there.

1 hour ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

OEM Bluetooth installed by someone like EuroSurgeon is pushing towards $1K from memory - I make do with a unit that clips on the visor - and I can switch it between my 545i and X5 that way too :)

Cheers, I have actually found it had BT and is paired to the on board phone (no simm) and I can even pair my Samsung Galaxy S3 to it but then it doesn't do anything. I don't know, not that fussed as would hardly use but would like to have it working if it's there. Might get one of those FM transmitter BT units too, they takes mini cards and charge and only cost $20-$30 on 1 - day deals.

1 hour ago, My545 said:

Cheers, I have actually found it had BT and is paired to the on board phone (no simm) and I can even pair my Samsung Galaxy S3 to it but then it doesn't do anything. I don't know, not that fussed as would hardly use but would like to have it working if it's there. Might get one of those FM transmitter BT units too, they takes mini cards and charge and only cost $20-$30 on 1 - day deals.

I bought a Blackberry branded Bluetooth dongle and plugged it into the Aux port and have audio that way, only draw back is that you have to control the music selection from the phone. 

Just now, NZ BMW said:

I bought a Blackberry branded Bluetooth dongle and plugged it into the Aux port and have audio that way, only draw back is that you have to control the music selection from the phone. 

I have no Aux, I have a TV I can't use!! but no aux, bit annoying. Cheers for your advice though.

4 hours ago, My545 said:

I have no Aux, I have a TV I can't use!! but no aux, bit annoying. Cheers for your advice though.

On the cheap you can try this if you're inclined:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/239729-bluetooth-streaming-audio-cheap.html

Or for more money (and keeping things stock...)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5-e39-e60-tips-tricks/168081-e39-very-affordable-bluetooth-retrofit.html

5 hours ago, My545 said:

In that case there are plenty of options which replace the CD stackers in these cars with Bluetooth, unless you're particularly wedded to your CD collection. :-)

So thinking about black grills, black bonnet and hood roundels and those smoked dark side lights on trademe. Any thoughts on how this might look? And will give it go restoring my headlights myself, any tips?

20170204_174049.jpg

Edited by My545

Just now, Gabe79 said:

I've used this method successfully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

Yea cheers, I watched this one the other day, I actually bought a repco restoration kit for my E39 a few years ago which I never used, comes with a can of UV protective sealant so hoping that will do a similar job to the clear coat in this vid. It only comes with 600 grit sand paper and a coarser soft block sander, so will get some 1000 - 3000 options as well.

21 minutes ago, My545 said:

Yea cheers, I watched this one the other day, I actually bought a repco restoration kit for my E39 a few years ago which I never used, comes with a can of UV protective sealant so hoping that will do a similar job to the clear coat in this vid. It only comes with 600 grit sand paper and a coarser soft block sander, so will get some 1000 - 3000 options as well.

I actually couldn't find the super-high grit sandpaper here. I got them from the US. Trivial cost on Amazon, just bundled it with something else I was ordering at the time.

• Like 1