Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

E46 Touring Jap Stuff

Hey guys,

Recently bought an 05 (04) 318 touring, but it came with some horrible Jap spec eclipse headunit installation. I'm swapping this out one of the double din Sony units that uses my phone as it's display or possibly back to the business CD with an Anycar unit installed.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if any of this stuff in the photos is factory? I'm assuming it's all part of the jap headunit equipment and will remove it. There's three antennas on the windscreen, a GPS unit, what looks like another GPS unit and a little plastic sticker with an antenna in it. Also on both rear side windows of the cargo bay there's antenna strips.

Original stereo according to Realoem was a Business C43.

Cheers,

Mason.

DSC_1656.JPG

DSC_1706.JPG

DSC_1654.JPG

_20170124_212545.JPG

Edited by Dn540

your radio antenna should be built into the left side glass in the hatch area.

Be worth checking if all your factory wiring and plugs are intact behind that (yes, really ugly) head unit install you have.

Can you tell me more about the Anycar unit for use with CD43?

cheers

• Like 1

all those aerial units and gps receilvers are after market stuff .

just follow the cables etc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Olaf said:

your radio antenna should be built into the left side glass in the hatch area.

Be worth checking if all your factory wiring and plugs are intact behind that (yes, really ugly) head unit install you have.

Can you tell me more about the Anycar unit for use with CD43?

cheers

Thanks, I'll start to remove it. Is the antenna the two orange/bronze coloured lines running up the window?

The Anycar is a small unit that plugs into the factory stereo, and depnding on the model you choose can hook up bluetooth/ipod/aux/sd card etc etc. Cost effective way of keeping the OEM look with modern tech.

38 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

all those aerial units and gps receilvers are after market stuff .

just follow the cables etc

Thanks, hopefully it's not too intertwined in the headliner etc. Do you get many E46 MK4 nav units at all? Wondering if it's worth doing a retrofit with updated software. Although I read some guys install that cost him around $us2500. But that was in 2010....

45 minutes ago, Dn540 said:

Thanks, I'll start to remove it. Is the antenna the two orange/bronze coloured lines running up the window?

The Anycar is a small unit that plugs into the factory stereo, and depnding on the model you choose can hook up bluetooth/ipod/aux/sd card etc etc. Cost effective way of keeping the OEM look with modern tech.

Thanks, hopefully it's not too intertwined in the headliner etc. Do you get many E46 MK4 nav units at all? Wondering if it's worth doing a retrofit with updated software. Although I read some guys install that cost him around $us2500. But that was in 2010....

beter to go to the dynavin unit

• Like 1

The aerials and windscreen stuff are for automatic payment at toll roads in Japan.

Usually there is other stuff behind the dash as they use a prepaid payment card in a card reader to pay for the tolls.

I ripped all mine out and its much cleaner now.

If you can afford it the dynavin is a very good unit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zero said:

The aerials and windscreen stuff are for automatic payment at toll roads in Japan.

Usually there is other stuff behind the dash as they use a prepaid payment card in a card reader to pay for the tolls.

I ripped all mine out and its much cleaner now.

If you can afford it the dynavin is a very good unit.

Learn something new everyday! Sweet, I was just going to lop the wires off but ill trace them back now and find all the other crap.

I had looked at a Dynavin when i had the E39, I really like the clean OEM look and modern functionality. Not sure I'f I can justify the money though. Are they still around $8-900?

Really quite a fan of the Sony XSP-N1BT as it's quite clean and simple looking (why i like Sony products) although I'm not sure if it will suit the E46 interior. Going to have to photoshop one in

Personally I like the stock look, but if money wasn't an object I'd get a Dynavin.

Not sure on the price but there might be a second hand one out there somewhere?

• Like 1

Ive used both the Avin Avant 2 and the Eonon in my m3. The Eonon was roughly half the price and was waaaaay better then the Avin. Operating speed, touch sensitivity, user interface were all better. Integration is easy and plug and play, everything works first time. I highly recommend it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BimmerShaun said:

Ive used both the Avin Avant 2 and the Eonon in my m3. The Eonon was roughly half the price and was waaaaay better then the Avin. Operating speed, touch sensitivity, user interface were all better. Integration is easy and plug and play, everything works first time. I highly recommend it

What model Eonon did you get, and what is the sound quality like?

On 04/02/2017 at 1:10 AM, zero said:

What model Eonon did you get, and what is the sound quality like?

I've seen these units on eBay and wondered what the sound quality was like too. Price seems ridiculously good

I ended up getting a Sony XSP-N1BT unit which behaves like a regular single din unit but you can mount your phone on the front to become a screen for navigation etc (too bad the app isn;t working for me at all). Spent all day today pulling out all of the Jap stuff and wiring. What a F*ckin' nightmare that was! Had to remove all of the lower dash panels, kick panels, sill plates and more just to removed the cables and units associated with the Eclipse. On each side of the car there were five cables which ran from the back of the car, along the sill wiring, up behind the kick panels and through the dash to various units such as TV receiver, toll card reader etc. Wouldn't have been so bad but the whole lot was zip-tied to the factory loom every 20cm, including under the dash.

I managed to reuse the double din mounting bracket and fascia with a little modification, but it's in and working. I will eventually buy a Janus or similar mounting kit as this one doesn't really have the finish I'd like.

Mounted the mic on the rear view mirror base and routed the cable in the headliner and down through the dash for a clean install.

Pictures up tonight if anyone cares lol.

• Like 3

Yea pics would be good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dn540 said:

I ended up getting a Sony XSP-N1BT unit which behaves like a regular single din unit but you can mount your phone on the front to become a screen for navigation etc (too bad the app isn;t working for me at all). Spent all day today pulling out all of the Jap stuff and wiring. What a F*ckin' nightmare that was! Had to remove all of the lower dash panels, kick panels, sill plates and more just to removed the cables and units associated with the Eclipse. On each side of the car there were five cables which ran from the back of the car, along the sill wiring, up behind the kick panels and through the dash to various units such as TV receiver, toll card reader etc. Wouldn't have been so bad but the whole lot was zip-tied to the factory loom every 20cm, including under the dash.

I managed to reuse the double din mounting bracket and fascia with a little modification, but it's in and working. I will eventually buy a Janus or similar mounting kit as this one doesn't really have the finish I'd like.

Mounted the mic on the rear view mirror base and routed the cable in the headliner and down through the dash for a clean install.

Pictures up tonight if anyone cares lol.

I'm keen to hear how well that works with a proper (i)phone. :)

2 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I'm keen to hear how well that works with a proper (i)phone. :)

I'm using my Xperia with it, the app you download for it is pretty average. Although I haven't had much of a play around with it to be honest, I'm hoping I can add spotify into the App, otherwise it will just be BT audio instead. The unit itself was released a few years ago and I'm guessing the app doesn't get too many updates...

It is iPhone ready though for all those appliance phone users ;) It's also steering wheel control compatible which is handy for when I add them.

Obviously I couldn't get a photo of it with the phone in place, but this generic photo shows you what it looks like. Also the evening light was blaring in and ruined the photo.

The photo with the cabling, that's only about 1/4 of the wiring as the rest is in the bin.

DSC_1990.JPG

DSC_1987.JPG

nexusae0_71bwrwA5IjL._SL1500_1.jpg